Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just wanted to point out

AlexRS

that we won our 1st playoff game without showing anybody anything. As far as revealing Gibbs' post-season plan - it gave nothing to Seattle or anybody else. Our Defense gave us a chance to win a postseason game calling preseason plays. Gibbs took advantage of that chance. :cheers:

Have you noticed the way our playcalling changes when we decide to move the ball? Remember our playcalling after turnovers in opponent's territory... Gibbs gets very aggressive and moves the ball for TD. In last several games we had drives with aggressive playcalling as well.

All I am saying is this. Gibbs has a strategy. That strategy goes beyond one game. Agree? It goes beyond one drive. Might as well try to figure it out rather than zoom in and complain.

We didnt even run the patented WR screen...

That's because EVERYBODY is looking for it. I'd like to see it run this week with Thrash and later as a fake with the pass going to Cooley or Sellers on the other side.

The fact is, every game plan is different. Our offensive game plan against the Bucs was simply not very good. Here's to a much BETTER game plan this week. :cheers:

I believe he held a little bit back. He knew the offense was going to be a little less successful this time around against TB. He also knew that the D would be better, what with the personnel we got back and all that. He knows this time around, against Seattle, that we can play a slightly different style game, and try a few things against a slightly more porous D. Why show those plays in a game against a team you know they won't work on? You don't, you save them, so that the team you WILL use them on won't know they're coming. We didn't need big plays on O to beat TB, which Gibbs knew, but there's a good chance we will need em against the Seahawks.

I believe he held a little bit back. He knew the offense was going to be a little less successful this time around against TB. He also knew that the D would be better, what with the personnel we got back and all that. He knows this time around, against Seattle, that we can play a slightly different style game, and try a few things against a slightly more porous D. Why show those plays in a game against a team you know they won't work on? You don't, you save them, so that the team you WILL use them on won't know they're coming. We didn't need big plays on O to beat TB, which Gibbs knew, but there's a good chance we will need em against the Seahawks.

I totally agree. We might be giving Gibbs a little more credit than he deserves, but I think this notion is completely plausible.

Have you noticed the way our playcalling changes when we decide to move the ball? Remember our playcalling after turnovers in opponent's territory... Gibbs gets very aggressive and moves the ball for TD. In last several games we had drives with aggressive playcalling as well.

All I am saying is this. Gibbs has a strategy. That strategy goes beyond one game. Agree? It goes beyond one drive. Might as well try to figure it out rather than zoom in and complain.

I agree that his play calling goes beyond one drive, but I think his strategy is capsulated to each game. If any of his decisions was reflecting on next weeks game against seatle it was resting Portis as much as he could instead putting it on his shoulders. Keeping Portis as fresh and unbanged up as possible. To me thats the only thing he did in relation to next weeks game. If the bucs had got ahead the whole play book would have been opened.

I am sorry but i dont think Gibbs would ever jeopardize a win in a playoff game just to try to pull some wool over seattle's eyes. Seattle will look at the last game which is good for us, but they will also look at what makes us successful. Thats why its hard to out scheme a team in the playoffs (cept the giants). We certainly can out scheme another team and we did to an extent with bucs passing game (dont give up the deep ball)

Now we just have to get the ball in our playmaker's hands who execute best and can make the big play.

Why show those plays in a game against a team you know they won't work on? You don't, you save them, so that the team you WILL use them on won't know they're coming. We didn't need big plays on O to beat TB, which Gibbs knew, but there's a good chance we will need em against the Seahawks.

The point of concern is that we moved the ball at will on Tampa in the first game against them, why would Gibbs think he couldn't do it again even before the fact? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think if the plays would of worked, they would of played em against TB. We were close to losing that game. I dont think there was a holding back of plays just because of strategy against Seattle. We just didnt have any luck against TB's D, so Gibbs went with the ultra conservative approach and it worked. In other words, I dont think he planned it, we didnt have a choice. I agree it has worked to our favor, pulling out a win with virtually no offense, but Seattle will look at our other games too.

I know Gibbs has some tricks up his sleeve for Seattle and ofcourse its a different D we are facing. With Seattles passing D being vulnerable, look for Moss and Thrash and Cooley to have a big day. Therefore giving CP a good day. That along with our D, we should win. If we start with the run, which IM guessing we will do, and have success, it'll be even better.

It may not have been Coach Gibbs' intent, but it sure is turning out to be a benefit now. As Superbowl_Skins said, "there is no tape of our offence from last week that can benefit them."

These things have a way of working out to the Redskins' advantage. Hail.

i dont think gibbs planned for it to work like that. once the d gave him the lead, it looked like he sat on it and rode teh defense to the win. the first couple drives looked like more aggressive. lets see what curves he throws at seattle

We didnt even run the patented WR screen...

After the Philly game Coach Gibbs said the opposing teams have told them after games that they were worried about the screen because we've been running it so well. He also said that teams are starting to figure it out and grabbing on to the pass catchers before they get the ball to them. He said they have to figure out a different way to run it.

I'm guessing he has figured out a different way to run it, but didn't need it or didn't get the look he wanted in order to use it against the Bucs.

Coach Gibbs is famous for running the same plays from different formations and with different movement. (ala SB XVII where the first half was spent confusing the hell out of the Dolphins Defense with movement and formations, just to start pounding the hell out of them in the 2nd half)

IN GIBBS I TRUST!!

Archived