Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Football - Teamwork At Its Finest

brunellguy

Washington Redskins – Teamwork At Its Finest!

Comments by a fan from Cincinnati

By brunellguy

Monday, January 9, 2006

If any team can make it to and win the Super Bowl, this Redskins team can! The Redskins are blessed with talented coaches who know how to harness the best from their players, humble players with character and determination to win as a team, dedicated fans to support the cause, and the big “D”, that is Divine intervention, if all else fails.

I wonder if other Redskins fans have grown to love the Redskins for similar reasons as I have. How did a Cincinnati native and Bengal’s fan like me end up with Mark Brunell as my role model and favorite athlete of all-time? And how did the Redskins become my favorite team?

In 1995, possibly like other frustrated Cincinnati Bengals fans who had endured 5 years of a playoff drought, it only seemed natural to seek another team or sport to provide some excitement. (Little did I know, it would be another 10 years of seemingly unending seasons of disappointments before finally being able to see the “Bungels” make it to the playoffs, only to get beat in the wild card game versus those darn Steelers.)

The Jacksonville Jaguars, a new expansion team at the time (1995), made some intriguing acquisitions and looked like a promising team to follow. They acquired Mark Brunell from the Packers who was playing backup quarterback to the NFL great Brett Favre. They also picked up a key lineman, Tony Boselli to give Mark pass protection. As I watched Mark’s on field performance and his off field presence during interviews, I was drawn to his style of play and more importantly his character. I have followed him since.

From what I know from following Mark the last 10 years, he is everything a real man should strive to be. He is a committed Christian who is public about his love for God. He is a great husband and father. He works hard within his profession, is a great leader, and gives back to his community.

My passion for Redskins football developed after Brunell was traded from Jacksonville to the Redskins in 2004. Although, I never became a Jaguars fan (there was something missing), I became hooked as a Redskins fan.

If you have some appreciation for teamwork, it is easy to get hooked on this 2005 Redskins team. As I’ve intently followed the Redskins, it became apparent that these players and coaches exemplified a true team. It all starts with the head coach Joe Gibbs. Pages and pages could be filled about the success Joe Gibbs has had with his teams. In the NFL, Gibbs’s teams have won 3 Super Bowl titles, and during his time away from football his NASCAR operation won 3 stock-car racing championships in just 6 seasons. But, and as Joe would tell you, his team’s success is not about him. Joe is surrounded with a dynamic coaching staff. And although I’m only in my early 30’s, I’ve never witnessed a professional football team with so many admirable players. I’ve heard Redskin player after Redskin player stand up and say, “It is not about me, I’m here to benefit the team.” Wow! That’s refreshing to hear when soooooooo many other players today are busy blowing their own horns.

So what do you get when you get a group of skilled, hard working players that are committed to the team and have character, determination, and faith in God? You have the ability to move mountains!

Quite frankly, the Redskins will need a mountainous effort to get a win against the upcoming game against the #1 seeded Seahawks. The Redskins are coming off a 17-10 win over the Bucs in a game that required a phenomenal effort by the Skins defensive unit to save the game since their offense was stifled by the Bucs #1 rated defense. Time will tell just how far they will go, but don’t count them out till the last second ticks off the clock.

I pray that the Lord continues to use this team to reach out to people during these troubling times that our country is facing. “With God all things are possible.” Mark 10:27

God bless the Redskins coaches, players, and fans!

I pray that the Lord continues to use this team to reach out to people during these troubling times that our country is facing. “With God all things are possible.” Mark 10:27

God bless the Redskins coaches, players, and fans!

A little off topic, I know, but this has always been curious to me.

Every adversary in history believed God was on his or her side, yet there is always a winner and a loser?

How does that work exactly? Does it go by shear number of prayers, or the most prayers during the two minute warning?

And if that really works, how the heck does New England, coming from quite possibly the highest concentration of aiethiests in a state (MA) get to so many dang Superbowls? Shouldn't say, the Titans or the Falcons be doing better?

I'm confused. But after crunching the numbers, all I can suggest is...

...for God's sake stop praying!

You make a very good point about praying for one team to beat the other.

I believe God is with the people on both teams who follow Him. I'd say you are right that it seems unlikely that God would actually choose the Redskin-Seahawks game to intervene and affect the outcome with a Skins win.

However, the more I study prayer, the more I realize its power and relevance. Prayer is my communication with God which builds my relationship with Him. A strong relationship with Him enables me to do my best.

So since I love the Redskins, I pray the Redskins play their best. I give God thanks for the opportunity to be in the playoffs, for the God-given talent of the players, and for the supportive fans.

Keep up the curiosity, the Lord will use that to bring you closer to Him.

Excellent post. I don't want to get side-tracked on God, because despite the fact that I'm a Christian, I know he doesn't care about football. But, the values that a TRUE Christian like Joe Gibbs and Mark Brunell carry rubs off on people. The ability, despite the fact that you have a achieved so much, to be so humble, really draws people's attention, and also draws their respect.

I too have been very impressed with Mark Brunell. Not necessarily for his play on the field (although I believe he is the smartest QB in the league), but for his humbleness and his ability to not let anything get to his head. This team has great leadership.

You make a very good point about praying for one team to beat the other.

I believe God is with the people on both teams who follow Him. I'd say you are right that it seems unlikely that God would actually choose the Redskin-Seahawks game to intervene and affect the outcome with a Skins win.

However, the more I study prayer, the more I realize its power and relevance. Prayer is my communication with God which builds my relationship with Him. A strong relationship with Him enables me to do my best.

So since I love the Redskins, I pray the Redskins play their best. I give God thanks for the opportunity to be in the playoffs, for the God-given talent of the players, and for the supportive fans.

Keep up the curiosity, the Lord will use that to bring you closer to Him.

Ok.

A little off topic, I know, but this has always been curious to me.

Every adversary in history believed God was on his or her side, yet there is always a winner and a loser?

How does that work exactly? Does it go by shear number of prayers, or the most prayers during the two minute warning?

And if that really works, how the heck does New England, coming from quite possibly the highest concentration of aiethiests in a state (MA) get to so many dang Superbowls? Shouldn't say, the Titans or the Falcons be doing better?

I'm confused. But after crunching the numbers, all I can suggest is...

...for God's sake stop praying!

I will say a prayer for you.

Before this gets placed in the Tailgate section, I have found this subject highly intriguing. I know we are veering off course , but indulge me, please. Many times the subject of "prayer" and "faith" have come up about Gibbs. I have come to a conclusion in my own mind that prayer does work. It works for the very reason that men Like Gibbs, Brunell, Griffin, etc. have brought character and values to this organization, team, and city that has been sorely missed. If the season ended in Seattle on Saturday, the obituary (in length mind you) for the 2005 season would, in my mind, read something like:

"The 2005 Washington Redskins.....A team that no critic or sportswriter ever gave a chance.....A team that swept their greatest archrival when faced with insurmountable odds.....A team that was laughed at, mocked at, and figuratively brushed under the rug as a hopeful for the playoffs..... A team that Chris Carter would dress as a hog and Sean Salisbury would walk from Bristol to D.C. for, because sheer confidence said it wasn't going to happen.....A team that was called 'weakest' this and weakest' that after every great accomplishment......A team that brought a fan base closer together than it had been in 13 years.....A team that rejuvenated an entire city.....A team that left its fans hanging on every word from a Thursday press conference, or had a quarterback too old to play or a coach too old to coach, but tuned in anyways because there was this belief that there was always something left up the sleeve.....A team that never trash talked its opponent over the week and never gloated when that opponent had been defeated..... A team that, in defeat, never pointed fingers and placed blame on anyone else but themselves....A team that patted the fans on the back first, always leaving themselves last.....a humble team, a hungry team, a lovable team, a scrappy team, a tough team, a passionate team, a do or die team......But most of all....a team. These are your 2005 Washington Redskins." More could certainly be added, but the point is that no one can measure an impact such as this in a stat column alone.

A little long, yeah. Cut me some slack. But at least thats how it goes for me this year. And if anything I have learned from this season, win or lose, it is this: Character is not always spelled with a "W". The impact felt from such a man as Gibbs is a far greater reaching anamoly that it would be insulting to say that we as fans only look at his wins and losses; and if Gibbs faith and prayers make him the man he is, then I say we need more people like that. Because when push comes to shove we cannot separate the HoF coach Gibbs with the man of faith Gibbs. They are one in the same. From my vantage point, I say Gibbs knows something about both subjects because it sure is working for him, win or lose.

Before this gets placed in the Tailgate section, I have found this subject highly intriguing. I know we are veering off course , but indulge me, please. Many times the subject of "prayer" and "faith" have come up about Gibbs. I have come to a conclusion in my own mind that prayer does work. It works for the very reason that men Like Gibbs, Brunell, Griffin, etc. have brought character and values to this organization, team, and city that has been sorely missed. If the season ended in Seattle on Saturday, the obituary (in length mind you) for the 2005 season would, in my mind, read something like:

"The 2005 Washington Redskins.....A team that no critic or sportswriter ever gave a chance.....A team that swept their greatest archrival when faced with insurmountable odds.....A team that was laughed at, mocked at, and figuratively brushed under the rug as a hopeful for the playoffs..... A team that Chris Carter would dress as a hog and Sean Salisbury would walk from Bristol to D.C. for, because sheer confidence said it wasn't going to happen.....A team that was called 'weakest' this and weakest' that after every great accomplishment......A team that brought a fan base closer together than it had been in 13 years.....A team that rejuvenated an entire city.....A team that left its fans hanging on every word from a Thursday press conference, or had a quarterback too old to play or a coach too old to coach, but tuned in anyways because there was this belief that there was always something left up the sleeve.....A team that never trash talked its opponent over the week and never gloated when that opponent had been defeated..... A team that, in defeat, never pointed fingers and placed blame on anyone else but themselves....A team that patted the fans on the back first, always leaving themselves last.....a humble team, a hungry team, a lovable team, a scrappy team, a tough team, a passionate team, a do or die team......But most of all....a team. These are your 2005 Washington Redskins." More could certainly be added, but the point is that no one can measure an impact such as this in a stat column alone.

A little long, yeah. Cut me some slack. But at least thats how it goes for me this year. And if anything I have learned from this season, win or lose, it is this: Character is not always spelled with a "W". The impact felt from such a man as Gibbs is a far greater reaching anamoly that it would be insulting to say that we as fans only look at his wins and losses; and if Gibbs faith and prayers make him the man he is, then I say we need more people like that. Because when push comes to shove we cannot separate the HoF coach Gibbs with the man of faith Gibbs. They are one in the same. From my vantage point, I say Gibbs knows something about both subjects because it sure is working for him, win or lose.

your middle paragraph brought a tear to my eye......that might have been the best post I've ever read....I started a thread about.....u are awsome...:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Many times the subject of "prayer" and "faith" have come up about Gibbs. If the season ended in Seattle on Saturday, the obituary (in length mind you) for the 2005 season would, in my mind, read something like:

"The 2005 Washington Redskins.....A team that ...............................But most of all....a team. These are your 2005 Washington Redskins." More could certainly be added, but the point is that no one can measure an impact such as this in a stat column alone.

And if anything I have learned from this season, win or lose, it is this: Character is not always spelled with a "W". The impact felt from such a man as Gibbs is a far greater reaching anamoly that it would be insulting to say that we as fans only look at his wins and losses; and if Gibbs faith and prayers make him the man he is, then I say we need more people like that.

Wow! Thank you for this post. It is refreshing to hear and I appreciate every word you used to describe this 2005 Redskins Team. Although I shortened the quote, I encourage others to read your entire post.

Archived