Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

seattles 'high powered' scoring offense...are they?

grego

take a look at this list

Philadelphia

Arizona

New Orleans

Tennessee

San Francisco

St. Louis

Houston

those are the bottom 7 defenses in scoring, in order.

seattle played all but one- new orleans.

thats 6 games vs SL, SF, and arizona and 1 each vs philly, houston and tenn.

thats 9 total games against the worst D's in the league.

now check this out...........

in games vs dallas, wash, and j-ville, (all in the top 12 and the best D's they played) they scored 13, 17 and 14- scoring less in each game than each team gives up on average.

seattle managed 21 and 24 points vs middle of the pack D's atlanta and the giants, barely above each teams average given up per game of 21.3 and 19.6.

i think they are not as good as we think.

in other words, in 5 games vs defenses ranked in the top 18 in the NFL, seattle never scored more then 24 points, and scored 17 or less 3 times- all 3 vs the 3 best D's they played.

(indy and GB stats thrown out)

i was surprised to find that.

I didn't watch those games, but perhaps they jumped out to early leads and went conservative on offense?

if we were talking yards, then the stats can get skewed. but these are all close games against good to decent D's. they lost vs the skins and j ville and beat dallas and atlanta and the giants by 3.

i dont think so.

edit- seattle was shut out the 2nd half by both j ville and atlanta (they had an early lead against atlanta, but not against j ville).

i dont think its a coincidence that they struggled vs the 5 best Ds they faced. but they could have relaxed in games where they were blowing teams out.

Human nature being what it is, the Skins' D will have problems if they fall into an early deficit. If that happens, those bumps and bruises and those 6 "playoff" games in a row will begin to wear on them. But, if they come out and get a few stops right off the bat and the Skins are able to take a lead -- even a 3 point lead -- then the D will remain invigorated and Seattle will be in for a long day. Bottom line, the Seattle offense hasn't faced a physical, bust you in your mouth defense since what....week 7 when they hosted Dallas?....or even week 4 when they faced us? If their offense doesn't break the D's will in the 1st quarter, they will not score more than 17-20 points. And if that happens, Skins will have a decent chance at pulling off the upset.

I didn't watch those games, but perhaps they jumped out to early leads and went conservative on offense?

their version of conservative is handing the ball to the league MVP. maybe it's slightly different because the play-calling is predictable, but that's a kind of conservative offense every team would like to have.

hopefully Portis can get healthy enough to play the entire game and we can use our conservative offense in the same manner.

Archived