Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Special Teams play is anything but special

kingdaddy

Our special teams play is not helping our offense or our defense at all. The punter is brutal. I would sign almost any available veteran punter over this Frost guy.

On kickoffs, we've got to do a better job of kick coverage. Opponents are starting out around their own 40 yd. line almost every time. Seattle will take advantage of that unlike Tampa Bay could. Is there a punter out there who could punt and kick off for us? Probably not at this point in the season, but we should look and see if anyone's available.

Antonio Brown is a non-threat as a punt returner. Yesterday he muffed a punt and slipped when he had room to run. Who knows what Moss could have done with that same return?

Other than John Hall's long field goal, which was huge, I don't know if there was anything good to say about our special teams play. Granted, we didn't give up a return for a td or have a punt blocked, but we need to start making special teams an area that can help us out more.

I just think our defense and offense could be much better if the special teams contributed more.

We are inconsistent on kickoff coverage, we are inconsistent on kickoff depth. When the other team is receiving the ball on the 15 than an average return will put you back out to the 40 yard line. Notice that later in the game when Hall put the ball back to the 5 yard line the return went to the 30. The return unit is giving up roughly 25 yards per return and that is pretty consistent but the spot the ball is being received is varying greatly.

I am concerned for the following aspects of the ST game. Kickoff (the kick, not the coverage), punting (again, the punt and not the coverage) and our return game as long as A Brown is handling the ball. He is as lickly to be explosive to the Skins as he is to be that way to the other team.

The rest of our ST play is great.

Isn't our special teams coach Danny Smith?

He used to be in Philadelphia and had terrible special teams units there.

IF.......we lose to Seattle, I'll bet you the special teams is an area that contributes in a big way to the loss. There have to be some changes made this week.

Totally agree.

1. A. Brown scares me

2. Kick-off seems to be always short.

3. We are inconsistent on Kick Off coverage.

4. Shanked punt at a very crucial time.

5. Bucs had great field of play almost the whole game.

The only thing the grade is not an F is Hall made a field goal.

Grade D-

1. Absolutely. A Brown is downright AWFUL. It blows my mind that Gibbs & Co. continue to run him out there and he continually screws us over.

2. Absolutely. Hall has never had a strong leg on kick-offs and this year he has been especially bad. Maybe his injury is still a problem :whoknows:

3. Absolutely. It seems like the opposition is on the verge of breaking one every time.

4. Absolutely. Frost has got to be the worst punter in the league. Actually I think in the reg season there were only 2 punters with worse averages. :rolleyes:

5. Yep, I was kinda shocked (in a good way) that Hall made that kick. He has not looked good on long ones. :applause:

So in closing, I guess I agree with everything said :D

Archived