Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we sick of Portis yet

fuji869

When all is said and done, Portis will be recognized as the greatest running back in the history of the Redskins. I would argue that pound for pound, Clinton is tougher than Riggo, is more athletic, and plays a more diverse and valuable role in the offense. If fate is kind to Portis, and he remains healthy, he'll be the Redskins' running back icon for many years to come.

Portis is an absolute beast. At first, I wasnt sure he was right for a Gibbs offense, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I think Earnest Byner deserves some credit as he's done a hell of a job coaching the young RB.

I'm sick of Denver!

ALL swaps made were a vast improvement.

Getting Portis and Moss were BRILLIANT!

We should bow before Lord Gibbs!:notworthy

Hail!:point2sky

When all is said and done, Portis will be recognized as the greatest running back in the history of the Redskins. I would argue that pound for pound, Clinton is tougher than Riggo, is more athletic, and plays a more diverse and valuable role in the offense. If fate is kind to Portis, and he remains healthy, he'll be the Redskins' running back icon for many years to come.

Agreed, and I think the question of fate being kind to Portis is my only worry. Beyond mere fate, you have to loook at the way he plays, the amount of punishment he absorbs, the number of carries, etc. Despite the fact that he's bulked up some, he's still smaller than Riggins, Earnest Byner, Terry Allen, or Stephen Davis yet he seems to be carrying a heavier load and engaging in a lot more violent, direct contact than they did. Rarely does a game go by when he isn't limping off the field at one point or another. Even though he's still young, I can't see him bearing this kind of load for too many more years.

Most of the backs with great longevity were either bigger or were able to avoid taking too many direct hits. Portis, to his credit, is extremely tough and plays with great abandon on every play, even when he's not carrying the ball. He gets pummeled, seemingly on every play. Gibbs, to his credit, knows what he has in Portis and isn't afraid to use him, but these 350-carry seasons are going to start wearing on him in another year or two.

Don't get me wrong. Portis is a godsend. Right now, the more he carries the ball, the better, but his style of play and Gibbs' characteristic NFC East, gut-check philosophy are not a combination built for longevity.

Hopefully, the line will continue to improve and the chemistry between Portis and his blockers will also improve, allowing them to keep defenses guessing a little less able to zero-in on him and meet him head on in the hole. At the same time, the team needs to find a way to increase the number of carries for Betts or Cartwright (or whomever) over the course of the season.

If Denver is happy with Champ/Bell (the 2nd rounder we gave up)....fine.

I'm very happy with CP and I think Springs is a better fit here than Bailey.

It's a win-win for everybody in my op.

CP has made football in DC really fun again.....that and the D :cheers:

Agreed, Springs has not been burned badly at all, now Champ yeah he is Porter's B$&ch.

Archived