Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comparing Single Season Records

armstrong001

I was blundering around the internet, trying to find our single season records, and stumbled onto this beauty:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/rushing_leaders.jsp

The only teams with a lower single season rushing record than the Redskins (at 1,432 by Stephen Davis) are Jacksonville (1,399 by Fred Taylor), and Houston (1,180 by Dominik Davis). Teams that are really close are Carolina (1,442 by Stephen Davis) and Cincinnati (1,454 by Rudi Johnson). Most every other team is in the high 1500's or higher. I just thought it interesting that even with the reputation of running the ball all the time and having brusing backs like Riggins and Davis, the Redskins are actually pretty low on the individual list. As a matter of fact, you'll notice that most of the teams near us (excluding the Bengals, but they also sucked for many years) are recent expansion teams with no long history.

Just an observation. Doesn't mean much, but I thought it interesting.

Really interesting stuff, someone presented this earlier in the year, I believe, and again its interesting to compare the success this team has had with the individual statistics of the players on the teams.

I can't say too much about the old teams, but I know more recently that Portis has shared some of his carries with betts and cartright. When you compare this to teams like San Diego and Seattle, and Indianapolis, who use mostly one back, they tend to have a few hundred more yards. But generally, in my opinion, the type of game the Redskins play, the hard nosed football we witnessed in the past few weeks, won't generate as many high yards as some of the other teams int he NFL. Without a doubt Portis will break that record next week, may get in the 1500+ category depending on how close the game is, and I think its only going ot get better, offensively, for us.

Hopefully in the years to come that statistic will go up, and I'm confident it will, as long as Portis remains healthy.

I know that we usually split carries. But it's strange that even in the years we had Davis, he didn't quite put up the numbers that other teams had. I guess you could chalk that up more to horrible teams at the time.

The one that really surprises me is the Cardinals, a team that has never gone anywhere had a back run for over 1,600 in a season, while the Redskins never have even though we've had a lot of success over the years.

We were always well balanced when Gibbs was here, the backs would get well over 1,000 a year but the QB's always went unnoticed by the media despite their great play, another reason Redskins recievers get left out. Basically I like it that we have such low season records and yet like 2 of our runningbacks were in what...like the top 20 in career yardage or something? Shows something about consistancy. Redskins runningbacks ran well all of their years, never really peaked bigtime like Tiki has been this year, our guys just played solidly.

Archived