Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is there anything worse...

than talking Redskins football with casual "fans" :rolleyes:

it's amazing to see idiots talk about football like they know what they are talking about... i'm sure most of u know what i'm talking about... whether you're sitting in the office or out and about and the topic of a Redskins game comes up and some moron makes a comment that makes u wanna hit him... :box:

i just don't see how these people call themselves fans... u can't go half-*** with the Skins - it's either u know 'em or u don't... it makes me sad to think some of these people are fellow 'fans'... i'd like to break a few jaws of some of the people i work with when they open their mouth about the Skins... it's like why try to talk about something u don't know about? if u like watching the games sometimes, fine... but don't claim to be this HUGE fan...

i think alot of these 'fans' are the same ones at FedEx... not saying all of 'em, but a lot of 'em... when i go to a game, i wanna see burgundy and gold - everywhere! if u can afford to go to a game, u can afford to buy a Skins shirt or hat, at least... and if for some drastic reason u can't, u better be screaming and making as much noise as possible to make up for it...

i guess i'm just venting, but i'm sick of casual 'fans'... it seems like everyone here eats, sleeps, breathes, and bleeds burgundy and gold - at least i know i do... and whether it's at the stadium or in everyday life, if someone claims to be a fan, they need to start acting like it...

I know what you mean. I was watching the Steelers game with some people on Sunday night (who are Redskin fans) and I got to hear the all-too-familiar:

"The Redskins are awesome!" --before kickoff as an over-reaction to the first couple games...followed by:

"They suck!" --as a result of them falling behind to a team that should have been in the Super Bowl last year...then a:

"They are money!" --when our third-stringers hung 35 points on the Steelers' third stringers in the second half....

It gets irritating!

bandwagoners are everywhere.

most people follow teams when they start winning and then move on to other things when times are bad.

you think all those households that used to watch the Redskins as a matter of course because of the success of Joe Gibbs have remained constant through 10 years of mostly adversity?

look at New England. Boston is a Red Sox town first and foremost. Then you have the Celtics and Bruins.

The Patriots were the FOURTH most popular team in the area UNTIL they won last year.

Then in the victory parade thousands upon thousands showed up.

A colleague of mine in our Cambridge, MA office who has Patriots' season tickets said there were too many bandwagon jumpers to count.

The city never showed this kind of interest or support for the team in previous years and unlike the Skins, the fans didn't wait at the airport to see them come home after they LOST the Super Bowl in 1996 to the Packers.

True enough, but remember that the Redskins are the only story in town 12 months a year in DC . . . and that's not the case with any other franchise. There will always be mediocre fans, that's a given; the only bummer is that most of those people seem to have season tickets and use them to bolster their income by scalping them on Ebay. Those guys should be pummelled. Maybe we can get the Dead Tree Crew to set up some 'stings' and lay down the law with a couple choice smackdowns.

THiTo48, I agree with you on these "so called" fans. I also agree that the stadium on game day should look like a sea of burgundy and gold. I always dress up in my Redskins gear. Hat, jersey and sometimes my skins pants. I can't see why anyone would go to the game and not dress up in burgundy and gold. I even dress up my pick up truck(or any car or truck I go to the game in) with flags, Indian head magnets and with a big helmet magnet on the tailgate. When I am driving to the game, everyone knows that I am a Redskin fan.

And yes, I eat, sleep, breath, and bleed burgundy and gold 365 days a year.

Originally posted by skinsfan44

THiTo48, I agree with you on these "so called" fans. I also agree that the stadium on game day should look like a sea of burgundy and gold. I always dress up in my Redskins gear. Hat, jersey and sometimes my skins pants. I can't see why anyone would go to the game and not dress up in burgundy and gold. I even dress up my pick up truck(or any car or truck I go to the game in) with flags, Indian head magnets and with a big helmet magnet on the tailgate. When I am driving to the game, everyone knows that I am a Redskin fan.

And yes, I eat, sleep, breath, and bleed burgundy and gold 365 days a year.

i got the car flag too... it takes me an hour to drive to FedEx, and i am proud to represent my team the whole way there...

hell, once opening day starts, i usually don't take my flag off my car the whole season... people know i'ma Skins EVERYWHERE i go... :D :cool:

I know exactly what you're talking about, because one of my own is exactly like that. My father, who used to be a DIE HARD 'Skins fan, I mean freakin' insane, has suddenly changed his tune. He blames it on the cap and how he doesn't "know" the players anymore. He also claims that he doesn't like Snyder.

Then I call him to just to say "what's up" and he starts talking about the Steelers game. He says, "uhh...they beat the Steelers backups." I wanted to freakin' reach through the phone and smack him because I know he didn't even watch the whole game. It's rare he EVER watches the 'Skins anymore. He knows NOTHING about the 'Skins but pretends like he does.

The real reason why he's changed is because Donovan McNabb got drafted by the Eagles, and I'm beginning to believe that Donovan is his love slave or something. My dad graduated from Syracuse, just as I did, and we both loved Donny when he was there. But I came to the realization that Donny is an EAGLE, and my dad, in his old age, cannot differentiate. Sickening really.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

I know exactly what you're talking about, because one of my own is exactly like that. My father, who used to be a DIE HARD 'Skins fan, I mean freakin' insane, has suddenly changed his tune. He blames it on the cap and how he doesn't "know" the players anymore. He also claims that he doesn't like Snyder.

Then I call him to just to say "what's up" and he starts talking about the Steelers game. He says, "uhh...they beat the Steelers backups." I wanted to freakin' reach through the phone and smack him because I know he didn't even watch the whole game. It's rare he EVER watches the 'Skins anymore. He knows NOTHING about the 'Skins but pretends like he does.

The real reason why he's changed is because Donovan McNabb got drafted by the Eagles, and I'm beginning to believe that Donovan is his love slave or something. My dad graduated from Syracuse, just as I did, and we both loved Donny when he was there. But I came to the realization that Donny is an EAGLE, and my dad, in his old age, cannot differentiate. Sickening really.

that is the WORSE!!!! a Redskin "fan" who talks sh!t about his/her own team... ahhhh i know what u mean!!!! my dad used to be the same way... after awhile, i refused to even talk about the Redskins with him because it would always result in an argument...

but those "fans" who don't even watch the games and then try and talk football are the ones that i despise... i was at the Redskins store in Sterling the day after the Osaka game when some "fan" (with a Skins hat on!) came in and asked the employee "did the Skins win last night?" i looked at him and felt like smacking the sh!t out of him... but it hasn't been the first time i've been shocked to hear a "fan" say something like that... i hear people at my job all the time ask who won or what the score was and after they hear, they try and explain the reasoning why they won or lost... i have to move quickly away before my tongue gets me in trouble...

Originally posted by THiTo48

i got the car flag too... it takes me an hour to drive to FedEx, and i am proud to represent my team the whole way there...

hell, once opening day starts, i usually don't take my flag off my car the whole season... people know i'ma Skins EVERYWHERE i go... :D :cool:

Hell yeah. I got my car flag on Sunday night and we put it right up for the ride home. Its the obligation of every fan to come out in Skins gear. If you are bringing someone to the game that doesn't have any, it is your responsibility to lend them Skins gear for the day.

I think there are people out there that are just shy and afraid to yell out. It's ok. Some people like to celebrate silently. I've had to grow used to this with my father-in-law. I embrace him now and just embarrass him when something big happens at a game. It's funny. I know he hates it when I scream and shout, but, you know, I just can't help it. I'm not as passive as he is.

I know exactly what you're talking about, because one of my own is exactly like that. My father, who used to be a DIE HARD 'Skins fan, I mean freakin' insane, has suddenly changed his tune.

Could be worse. My Dad is a Cowboys fan. :puke:

Why is it that children must atone for the sins of their Parents? :cry:

This thread makes me laugh and feel pissed at the same time because I know all of the emotions you are talking about...and it's not just Skins fans. Cowpie fans are even worse, much worse. Hell, I have a buddy that sports his Skins gear to the Sportrs bar and to watch games, etc. and he is indeed a lifelong fan and will always be. He NEVER shows up on time for games, though and it really wierds me out, but he does have a really dominating ol lady (she is HOT, but DAMN!) so I give him the benefit of the doubt and she holds him up something harsh. My ol lady don't get in my way when it comes time for game time - I am up well before alny pregame show starts at 8:00 AM Sundays and I am out the door well in time for the game if I gotta go to a bar or to a frind's house with NFL Ticket. I take my football seriously and expect it from others, ........rartely do we get it though in return.

Yeah, casual fans annoy the hell out of me too. Not just casual fans of the Skins, but casual fans of any team. I love talkin' football, but it's rare I come across someone who can talk football intelligently with me.

It only takes a minute or two to figure out what kind of a fan someone is. When I know more about their team than they do, I know what I'm dealing with.

Can't say I've run into too many "casual" Redskins fans, so I'll consider myself lucky. Most fans I know, know the game of football and can converse about other people's teams as well. However there is this one guy who sold his Redskins tickets when they started 0-5. I gave him hell for it. He's also drafted Cowboy players for his fantasy team. We all called him a traitor.

Ahhh, this could explain it. Yet ANOTHER reason to hate Spurrier. Donny and his Orangemen got spanked BAD in the Orange Bowl in 1998...It was pretty ugly; McNabb was running for his life.

Archived