Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need advise........wireless internet

Pete

OK, I'll be getting highspeed internet this week. I also ordered a computer for our daughter. I want to do wireless but don't have a clue on the subject. What hardware do I need (router?) and what brands are good quality. The cable company can do it all, but it's pretty costly from them.

Thanks.......

The internet company can provide a router that does both wired and wireless. The computers will need wireless cards. If they're laptops, it's just a little card that plugs into the PCMIA slot. If they're desktops, they can be PCI card or USB. If you're computers run Windows XP, the configuration is pretty easy.

if you want to go hard, go cisco on the router, if not get a linksys or 3com. those are all well built routers. You should be able to find one that does wireless and wired easy amongst those. Cisco will probably be the hardest to configure, the linksys the easiest. You'll still need wireless(or hard-wired) cards in any pc you want to connect with.

Cisco bought Linksys....they seem to be reliable, consumer grade wireless routers.

As stated above, you will need that, and a wireless card for each computer that needs wireless access. The only potentially tricky part is the router config, depending upon who your broadband carrier is...

Like others have said, you'll need a wireless router...and make sure you get wireless-g. Its the fastest technology out there. Linksys is pretty much plug 'n' play...I'd go with them. They are very reliable, and have great tech support. Whatever you do, DON'T GET A BELKIN. Belkin is crap.

And as far as your daughter's computer...who did you buy it from? Is it a PC or a laptop? Most new laptops come with a built-in wireless card, and I'd imagine most new PCs do as well, although I'm not sure.

Also, check out howstuffworks.com explanation of wireless networking, their explanations are always simple and very helpful.

www.mwave.com is a great site for computer stuff.

Here is a linksys wireless router for $55, with a $15 mail-in rebate available until 12/16...buy now! :)

(Here are all of mwave.com's wireless products)

Anyway...good luck! Wireless networking is pretty easy, don't be intimidated!

That's what we're here for! :cheers:

Now If I could have gotten one of you guys to clear a lane through my over packed attic so the cable guy has room to run the second line in. :laugh:

SHEEEEEEESH My akeing back......................but at least I didn't fall through the cealing again ;)

Archived