Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New running schemes

mistere

Portis has amazing potential, and I think most people can agree on that.

Portis is not being used to fit his strengths quite often, and I think most people can agree on that.

Why don't we do some different running schemes for him. Like when we had Tre Johnson swing around and pull for Davis to get around to the outside. We were garaunteed 10+ yards per play. Why don't we do something like that with what we have now?

Insert some play suggestions that you think would work with personel we have on the team today.

in the Zone (blocking): Is Gibbs every going to call more zone-blocking plays for Portis? Portis thrives on those type of runs.

Jason La Canfora: From whatevr everyone has told me here, Portis tells coaches every week he likes the downhill, inside stuff. They put in four new zone plays the last 4 weeks or so, but he likes to run off left guard when Thomas is pulling, and loves Sellers as a lead blocker. Isolation plays and some of the Gap stuff is what he asks for, accoring to Bugel and Byner.

Portis likes the way we run the ball

While Portis is not LT or Sean A he is actually putting together a decent season. He is a top ten back, not chopped liver.

Seems that peoples expectations are so high that they look at his production as lacking.

When you add to the equation his blocking skills and ability to pick up the blitz, he is a fine player.

I would feel real good about Betts as well with 2 major exeptions.

He cannot stay healthy.

He is lousy at reading the D for blitz assignments.

Be thankful we have Portis!

portis hasnt even hit his prime yet the guy is still young. LT is 26, SA 28 edge 27, dunn 30. and these are the top 5 in the leauge in rushing. while portis is only 24. the guy has alot of years to develop and he wont hit his prime till maybe next year or even a year after that. great running back dont come that easily and many become busts or get hurt and are done. be glad we have a very capable back who is able to do his job.

Archived