Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History of the 18th pick

Nighthawk

Here is a list of the past 22 first round selections made with the 18th pick. I know some of these players are still early in their careers but based on the history it doesn't bode well for them or use if we stick with this pick. I'd only pick the the player from the '80 draft again.<br /><br />2001 OT Jeff Backus 2000 QB Chad Pennington<br />1999 OT Matt Stinchcomb 1998 RB Robert Edwards<br />1997 DE Kenny Holmes 1996 WR Eddie Kenninson<br />1995 RB Napolean Kaufman 1994 DB D. Washington <br />1993 OT Earnest Dye 1992 DB Dana Hall<br />1991 LB Alfred Williams 1990 LB Tony Bennett<br />1989 C Brian Williams 1988 DE Aaron Jones<br />1987 LB Tony Woods 1986 WR Mike Sherrard<br />1985 DE Freddie Joe Nunn 1984 DB Don Rogers<br />1983 WR Willie Gault 1982 RB Butch Woolfolk<br />1981 DE Donnell Thompson 1980 WR ART MONK<br /> <br /> <small>[ April 11, 2002, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]</small>

Robert Edwards was a stud RB who suffered a tremendous and freakish injury while playing flag football at the Pro Bowl after his rookie season. <br /><br />Monk is, well, Monk.<br /><br />The rest are basically just names, some better, some worse. At the end of the day, though, history doesn't mean sh*t! I'm sure I could find a spot in the second round that coincidentally has had better prospects. I doubt you think that we should swap for that pick, right?

A sobering look at decisions made by some GMs.<br /><br />Robert Edwards and Art monk were the studs of those picks and Pennington will hopefully keep the jets out of the QB draft next year if do the smart thing and wait for the 2k3 Year of the QB draft.

the list may not be chock full of Hall of Famers, but players like Kenny Holmes, Willie Gault and Alfred Williams WERE pro bowl players at points during their careers.<br /><br />some of the guys on that list like Edwards, Sherrard and Brian Williams came into the NFL with definite skills but their careers were cut short because of serious injuries.<br /><br />it would be interesting to go back and check out how picks from say the #12 or #14 slots did in retrospect to see if moving up a few notches to get into the top 15 has historically paid off.

Archived