Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PS3 vs XBox 360?

BeatONaCowboy

Sunstone,What do you think about the graphics for 360, do you think they are a huge improvement? I just don't think it's that much better, maybe I just am expecting too much?

Do keep in mind that the MGS trailer is all pre-rendered movie clip, no actual gameplay. Sony hasnt really shown what PS3 will look like in-game.

I'm surprised nobody's interested in the new Nintendo system that's coming out. (Revolution I think it's called?) I guess Nintendo is pretty much going down the same path as Sega. But anyhoo, make mine PS3, mainly because I've been faithful to Sony since PSOne. Also I'm a huge fan of the Metal Gear series. And the backwards compatibility feature for both PSOne and PS2 games is a convenient plus.

Nintendo will never go down the path of Sega because Sega lost millions upon millions with the Saturn and never recovered, meanwhile Nintendo is still the only company focused on gaming so they will always turn a profit.

I'm definitely getting their new system. Games have become so stale and boring for me, takes a truly great game for me to play it for longer than 20 minutes, save for sports games. Only system I own right now is the Nintendo DS because the control scheme, the touchscreen has made gaming fun for me again, I like new and different, and don't need to play the 5 new Halo clones or GTA ripoffs that seemingly come out every other month.

I think Nintendo is going to become the Apple of the Gaming industry. They know they can't compete by doing what Sony and Microsoft are doing, so they are taking a fresh, different approach reach new markets in the gaming industry.

The Specs on PS3 and 360 are different but they also took different approaches to the next generation. I dunno enough bout the stuff to explain it really, but ps3 has focused on the type of graphics power they think is more important and microsoft has focused on what they believe to be more important. Im excited to see what 360 does with the equivelant of 6 different CPUs. They can use an entire CPU to control how the grass moves in the wind in a game like Tiger woods golf. Or, say an entire chip to control the crowd in Madden, which is what im most excited about right now.

Nintendo will never go down the path of Sega because Sega lost millions upon millions with the Saturn and never recovered, meanwhile Nintendo is still the only company focused on gaming so they will always turn a profit.

I'm definitely getting their new system. Games have become so stale and boring for me, takes a truly great game for me to play it for longer than 20 minutes, save for sports games. Only system I own right now is the Nintendo DS because the control scheme, the touchscreen has made gaming fun for me again, I like new and different, and don't need to play the 5 new Halo clones or GTA ripoffs that seemingly come out every other month.

I think Nintendo is going to become the Apple of the Gaming industry. They know they can't compete by doing what Sony and Microsoft are doing, so they are taking a fresh, different approach reach new markets in the gaming industry.

Nintendo is different from PS and Xbox though. Nintendo is for kids really. Everything they do is Mario this and that. Only game on nintendo id play is Zelda but id much prefer Splinter Cell and MGS and GTA and such.

Nintendo is different from PS and Xbox though. Nintendo is for kids really. Everything they do is Mario this and that. Only game on nintendo id play is Zelda but id much prefer Splinter Cell and MGS and GTA and such.

so you wouldn't play Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem, Killer 7, Geist or many of the other games targeted at the older gamer.

They are a company that doesn't focus simply on the Hardcore gamer. They make Mario party and other simple themed games because they know that there is a market for simple pick up and play around games, They throw Mario into it cause that's their biggest icon.

The basis behind their new control is to simplify gaming and make it more accessible to adults who are turned off by complexity in controls. Microsoft and Sony are going down the path of ignoring any market other than teenage males, and in theory becoming the real niche market itself, they are in danger of hurting the video game business with unecessary and expensive technology(Multicore processors are very new technology which are hard to code for, we haven't even reached the limits of what we can do with a single core), high production costs which makes games more expensive, and oversaturation of the market with too many similar titles.

Sales may be up overall but the percentage of US households with game systems has barely changed, in the 80s Nintendo had 31 million consoles sold, today there are about 52 million consoles purchased in America and 24% of those are in duel-system households and 8 percent will all 3. Do the math and you'll find there are only 35 million households with systems. So about there same amount of people are playing games as there were in 80s. Nintendo wants to change that by making gaming accessible to everyone.

Sony has declared that their system is twice the strength as the 360.

But Sony has lied many times about their console and several games to try and influence the market. They are a shrewd business when it comes to their advertisements(kind of like Madden in the past 15 years they have only showed cut scenes to sell their game).

If that is true, then they should have no problem rendering real life graphics.

And that would be an awesome thing!

But here is the thing.

Are companys going to make 2 different copys of the same game.

A version for xbox, as well as a higher quality one for the PS3?

Yes and No

With some games they will, while most won't.

The ones that do have a chance to be very special, and that would probably decide who will be #1 in the end.

But for now, the 360 has a major advantage in coming out first with a super computer.

Because there is a base market of kids that will end up getting one or the other, but not both. That could be the deciding factor, because history has shown us that the strongest system doesn't always win.

I think there is more than enough room for both companys to be successful.

so you wouldn't play Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem, Killer 7, Geist or many of the other games targeted at the older gamer.

They are a company that doesn't focus simply on the Hardcore gamer. They make Mario party and other simple themed games because they know that there is a market for simple pick up and play around games, They throw Mario into it cause that's their biggest icon.

The basis behind their new control is to simplify gaming and make it more accessible to adults who are turned off by complexity in controls. Microsoft and Sony are going down the path of ignoring any market other than teenage males, and in theory becoming the real niche market itself, they are in danger of hurting the video game business with unecessary and expensive technology(Multicore processors are very new technology which are hard to code for, we haven't even reached the limits of what we can do with a single core), high production costs which makes games more expensive, and oversaturation of the market with too many similar titles.

Sales may be up overall but the percentage of US households with game systems has barely changed, in the 80s Nintendo had 31 million consoles sold, today there are about 52 million consoles purchased in America and 24% of those are in duel-system households and 8 percent will all 3. Do the math and you'll find there are only 35 million households with systems. So about there same amount of people are playing games as there were in 80s. Nintendo wants to change that by making gaming accessible to everyone.

Well, I tried metroid in the store, was very unimpressed. Friends I talked to had mixed feelings. Resident Evil has never been a big deal to me, and it will be on PS3. Those other games, never heard of em. Im lookin for Madden, Splinter Cell, MGS maybe. Maybe Halo, maybe not. Also GTA. Nintendo CEO even questioned the future of games, saying he thought console games have gone as far as they can go about a year ago. I grew outta Nintendo awhile ago i guess.

That does look tight.

But even still, the 360 can make those graphics.

And both systems have the ability to make even better.

you have to relaize that MGS4 ios running on only the cell and not the RSX! Also it's running on a Alpha kit not the Beta! So it will ONLY get better once the RSX and the Beta kit is released by SONY.

Here is proof that the PS3 will be able to play USED GAMES:

http://www.ps3focus.com/archives/159

Sony has declared that their system is twice the strength as the 360.

But Sony has lied many times about their console and several games to try and influence the market. They are a shrewd business when it comes to their advertisements(kind of like Madden in the past 15 years they have only showed cut scenes to sell their game).

If that is true, then they should have no problem rendering real life graphics.

And that would be an awesome thing!

But here is the thing.

Are companys going to make 2 different copys of the same game.

A version for xbox, as well as a higher quality one for the PS3?

Yes and No

With some games they will, while most won't.

The ones that do have a chance to be very special, and that would probably decide who will be #1 in the end.

But for now, the 360 has a major advantage in coming out first with a super computer.

Because there is a base market of kids that will end up getting one or the other, but not both. That could be the deciding factor, because history has shown us that the strongest system doesn't always win.

I think there is more than enough room for both companys to be successful.

I don't know if you want to call it an advantage coming out first. remember Dreamcast came out first and look what happened to it? Yes, granted that M$ has more money then Sega, but just because your system is out first doesn't mean jack. If you were a smart consumer you would want the system that offers you the most for you hard earned dollar. I am sorry, but the PS3 will offer more then the xbox360. BLu-Ray will be one of the main reasons ps# will suceed over xbox360. Also to mention that ps3 has over 160 games in the making already for it. The most ever for a new platform.

one last thing:

I believe the Xbox 360 can pull off certain characteristics of an Alpha build of MGS:4, like character detail, environment structures, and certain environmental physics at 30FPS. That being said if the final build of MGS:4 is heavily build around using the Cell SPEs for multiple AI independent squads, tons of geometry (including GPU), and massive data streaming. The best Xbox 360 could do, is match the aesthetic look of the game, but not the actual geometry count, true interaction, and immersion the game brings. And if MGS team sticks with the 720p resolution, you can expect the PS3 version to have a native 720p rendering, versus the Xbox 360 video chip scaling it to 720p.

The Bentley Azure (PS3) and the Chrysler 300c (Xbox 360) have certain similarities in design (hardware/games), however there’s still a big difference in performance (hardware) and overall appeal (hardware/gaming).

Sony lost the Betamax/VHS war. Betamax was a Sony technology. They both have the same amount of memory from the specs I've seen.

Nope not even close. Blu-Ray is much betetr then HD-DVD. HD-DVD can hold 25 GB of memory while blu-ray can hold 50 GB. Also on a multi-layer blu-ray you can get 100GB. They don't even really compare. Blu-Ray also has the back of 7 Major hollywood production facilities. More and more are jumping onto Blu-Ray over HD-DVD because of the more info you can store on the blu-ray disk and the extra security blu-ray offers.

Nope not even close. Blu-Ray is much betetr then HD-DVD. HD-DVD can hold 25 GB of memory while blu-ray can hold 50 GB. Also on a multi-layer blu-ray you can get 100GB. They don't even really compare. Blu-Ray also has the back of 7 Major hollywood production facilities. More and more are jumping onto Blu-Ray over HD-DVD because of the more info you can store on the blu-ray disk and the extra security blu-ray offers.

Its gonna be a looooooooong time before game developers need 50 gigs of space. Current gen games dont use the space on current discs as it is. Bluray discs will also be more expensive, so ps3 games will probably be more expensive. the ps3 is gonna be really pricey all around. It may be a lil more powerful but not sure it will be more for your money. Who the hell is gonna need to be able to play games on two hd-tvs in 1080p? its a cool idea but i personally dont have 10 grand to spend on tvs

Don't worry PS3 will be under 400 bucks. My guess $380.00

unlikly, sony was quoated as saying that their aim is for people to work extra hours at work to be able to afford a ps3. Meaning, there will be a lot of hype, itll be a good console, but very expensive, and thats their goal

Well, I tried metroid in the store, was very unimpressed. Friends I talked to had mixed feelings. Resident Evil has never been a big deal to me, and it will be on PS3. Those other games, never heard of em. Im lookin for Madden, Splinter Cell, MGS maybe. Maybe Halo, maybe not. Also GTA. Nintendo CEO even questioned the future of games, saying he thought console games have gone as far as they can go about a year ago. I grew outta Nintendo awhile ago i guess.

Its not so much whether you like the games or not or have not heard of some of them, your point was that they offer gaming for kids and little else. I pointed out examples of games that all sold well on GC that were targeted directly at an older audience. Eternal Darkness and RE4 were probably the best horror games to come out this gen and both were GC Exclusive(Until Capcom pissed off the RE designers and made them port it)

Madden, Splinter Cell, and MGS games are all on Nintendo systems. EA Sports has said the are very excited about tailoring ther controller to the games, Ubisoft has said Splinter Cell will be on the Rev and that they are making an exlcusive FPS for it. Kojima, creator of MGS is working on his own game for the system as well.

Nintendo's CEO meant that Console games had come close to the limit in terms of graphics, and that the challenge now is creating unique new gaming experiences because polygons alone won't WOW consumers like they used to.

When the game footage and the controller can actually be seen in action then we will know for sure, but I do understand hesitation from the consumer, Nintendo's bad choice of storage media (Cartridge on 64 and minidsics on GC) really hurt 3rd party support and left people going months between any great games and gave them the stigma of games geared towards the younger crowd.

typical nintendo fanboy, you fail to realize they dont have the exclusive resident evil license anymore, and they rely to heavily on first party games rather than third party, which is why they are pushing the crazy new controller

The video game nerds are the best! They get so defensive about "their" system.

XBox has a HUGE advantage by coming out first. Anybody who denies this loses all credibility. So do people who point to Killer7 and Eternal Darkness as reasons to buy a system.

Anybody else see the final results for Madden on the 360? It looks almost identical to the regular Xbox. EA can suck a fat one.

Archived