Extremeskins

OT- "Alexander Grateful to be on Schottenheimer Team"

redman

This is rich:

Alexander grateful to be on Schottenheimer team

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 8, 2002

Stephen Alexander looked skyward for a moment, looked back down and smiled.

Not a cloud in sight, 72 degrees, a slight breeze.

"This is the perfect place for me, with my off-the-field activities," he said.

Yes, Stephen Alexander always knew San Diego was a city in which he could spend quality time engaging in his passions of golf and riding dirt bikes.

But he never considered this could be the town where he would play football.

"Freddie Jones is an unbelievable player," Alexander said last week. "He's put up some great numbers. You kind of thought he'd be here."

Jones was here, but he was released in the offseason because the Chargers felt he was not the right fit for the future.

Alexander was as surprised as anyone. He knew about Jones' five seasons in San Diego, during which his 260 receptions were the fourth-most among NFL tight ends.

Chargers teammates still speak fondly of Jones. After straining his calf in practice Tuesday, linebacker Junior Seau joked that he needed to be back in time for Saturday's preseason game against Arizona so he could go against Jones.

"That's one guy I've got to see," Seau said. "He's a good friend of ours."

But Alexander is here now – more than a year younger, at 26, and with one more Pro Bowl in his past than Jones.

"He's a good player," Alexander said of Jones, who signed a three-year, $5 million deal with the Cardinals. "But this is a business . . . That's just the way it goes. He landed on his feet. I'm here. I'm happy."

Alexander also knew of the system in which Jones thrived. Norv Turner, the offensive coordinator here last year, was Alexander's head coach in Washington during Alexander's best years. And the Chargers are running virtually the same offense under new coordinator Cam Cameron, a former Turner assistant.

Alexander will not compare himself with Jones, but he says he is ready to perform for a team that has featured the tight end in its offense. Jones led or was second on the team in receptions four of the five years he was in San Diego. In return for the five years and $15 million they have pledged Alexander, the Chargers are hoping for Joneslike production.

"I think they're probably similar athletically," said Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, who coached Alexander in Washington last season.

Schottenheimer was instrumental in getting Alexander here – both in wanting him to come and being one of the reasons Alexander came.

"I really like Marty," Alexander said. "I think he's a great coach. I think he knows how to win. I don't think he got a chance in Washington."

For different reasons, the same could be said for Alexander last year.

The Redskins' offense was a mess the first half of the season.

"We were looking for ways to get him the ball," Schottenheimer said. "But we didn't have the mechanism in place to do that."

By the time Washington's offense got going, Alexander was gone, felled by a high ankle sprain in the season's fifth game. He returned five weeks later but – again while making a block against Dallas – he suffered a stress fracture in his right fibula.

Schottenheimer told Alexander that had the Redskins made the playoffs, he was going to play. But neither happened, and Alexander was left to think about a lost season.

"Last year was just a frustrating year," said Alexander, who caught 113 passes his first three years in the NFL and made the Pro Bowl after the 2000 season. "That's part of this game. That stuff happens all the time. I guess the fortunate thing is just the medicine these days. I'm healthy, as good as new. I'm ready to have a great year. It's a new year."

And a new team, with a new tight end.

(Insert joke(s) here.) :laugh:

I read a longer version of this article that must have been cut down in the version you posted, redman. I'll insert the parts that got cut out.

Originally posted by redman

"Freddie Jones is an unbelievable player," Alexander said last week. "He's put up some great numbers. You kind of thought he'd be here."

Jones was here, but he was released in the offseason because the Chargers felt he was not the right fit for the future.

Alexander was as surprised as anyone. He knew about Jones' five seasons in San Diego, during which his 260 receptions were the fourth-most among NFL tight ends.

By comparison, Alexander in his four years has caught 122 passes for 1,302 yards -- or 1,629 fewer yards than the 2,931 yards amassed by Freddie Jones, who is still only 28 years old.

Asked to comment about Jones not being "the right fit for the future," Schottenheimer said, "I run an offense based on the 3-and-out. With Jones on the field, the offense might become unpredictable -- even first downs might happen. So we need guys on the field who will stick with the program."

"He's a good player," Alexander said of Jones, who signed a three-year, $5 million deal with the Cardinals.

Jones led or was second on the team in receptions four of the five years he was in San Diego. In return for the five years and $15 million they have pledged Alexander, the Chargers are hoping for Joneslike production.

Asked why Jones himself might not be the best candidate to put up "Joneslike production", Schottenheimer turned to the reporter and gave him the famous "Rushmore Marty" frozen look -- a withering, unflinching look that Schottenheimer held for a full 20 minutes until the reporter packed up his belongings and left.

The interview resumed the next day. Comparing Alexander and Jones:

"I think they're probably similar athletically," said Schottenheimer, who coached Alexander in Washington last season.

Schottenheimer was instrumental in getting Alexander here – both in wanting him to come and being one of the reasons Alexander came. . . .

The Redskins' offense was a mess the first half of the season.

"We were looking for ways to get him the ball," Schottenheimer said. "But we didn't have the mechanism in place to do that."

"What would that be -- a competent gameplan?" ventured the reporter.

The Rushmore Marty expression returned.

After 15 minutes of silence, the reporter packed up his things. "I'm out of here" he called out as he left. Marty's eyes never left him, until the reporter was fully out of his office and had closed the door.

Originally posted by luckydevi

I would be grateful too with that salary. Overpaid and never healthy ba$tard.

That's the darned truth. He stole that Pro BOwl bid he got that one year.

What a dissapiontment he turned out to be. Definitely one of the guys I associate with the Norv/Terry/Marty era that has so thankfully been brought to a close by SS

Originally posted by mphilips16

That's the darned truth. He stole that Pro BOwl bid he got that one year.

What a dissapiontment he turned out to be. Definitely one of the guys I associate with the Norv/Terry/Marty era that has so thankfully been brought to a close by SS

The funny thing is, he didn't even produce for Marty -- due to his injury and a sore throat from whining about it -- and yet Marty breaks the bank to bring him to San Diego.

$15M over 5 years -- sheesh. There aren't many players in the NFL worth that, and we're talking about Alexander?

Meanwhile, Marty dumps Jones, a much better TE, who signs for three years, $5M, with the Cardinals.

Tell me the Chargers aren't going to miss that extra $2 million per year over the next five years, while Alexander misses games for splinters and hangnails.

Why in God's name does Marty believe that his system will work any better in San Diego than it did here? "We didn't have the mechanism in place [to get Alexander the ball]."

No $hit! If you run THE SAME FREAKIN' OFFENSE in San Diego, then you still won't have THE FREAKIN' MECHANISM TO GET HIM THE FREAKIN' BALL!

Give me a FREAKIN' BREAK!

So, Cam Cameron, having failed at the University of Indiana, is now the OC of San Diego, a failing team, orchestrating a faded carbon copy of an offense that reached a peak of 9-7 when Cameron was the QB coach ... an offense which went 5-11 in San Diego last year ....

Sounds like a winning plan to me, Marty! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Believe it or not, I think that there are some players who like playing for Marty. Obviously, Alexander is one, and Cory Raymer would be another. I suspect, also, that Jon Jansen was really happy to be playing for him.

He's a coach that the blue collar types like to work for.

Now, whether he's successful, that's another matter, and in the end, all any player wants is to be a winner..... Okay, maybe a rich winner.

I don't have any ill will toward Marty...he'd have been a winner in Washington if he'd stayed and he'll win in San Diego. I don't care for that joyless style of football he preaches, but I can't overlook his success.

Orange...I picked up on that quote as well. I think 'mechanism' = QB in Martyspeak. But he doesn't accept responsibility or answer the question, 'Why didn't you have the mechanism?' It's because his personnel decisions were poor.

SPare....I think you're right. There are guys who'll excell for a guy like Marty. They're true believers in the old style of football discipline. Nothing wrong with that. Once Marty finds enough of those guys, the team'll win.

Archived