Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is our running game?

skinsdude

Where is our running game? It seems to be non-existent. We continue to try to run Clinton up the middle. It doesn't work. He did have some success running around the end so i'm hoping that we will continue to try that. We were in third and long too much last night. We can't continue to rely solely on our passing game on third down.

True, but we seem to have trouble against just about everybody running the ball.

we did pretty well against bad deffense

i was so happy portis got the td i was like woww never been done before

portis barely has any 6 runs run and hes gona run one in for a td that was nice

Guest sith lord
we did pretty well against bad deffense

i was so happy portis got the td i was like woww never been done before

portis barely has any 6 runs run and hes gona run one in for a td that was nice

That's the problem. We only run well against bad defenses. I'll be surprised if Portis gets much more than 50 yards next week.

that is the common fallacy about Joe Gibbs. what we saw last year with Portis having the second most carries in the NFL was a mirage.

only with Riggins in 1983 and 1984 did Gibbs have a runner with that many carries.

Byner averaged about 250 carries a year here in his two 1,000 yard seasons.

Portis had 121 yards against a good Bears team. He had 101 against the 49ers. He had another 90.

Portis is on pace to rush for 1,100 to 1,200 yards.

That is what you usually expect out of a back in a Joe Gibbs offense.

For those hoping to see a 1,800 yard Walter Payton type season out of Portis, you are going to be left unfulfilled.

Portis will have 100 plus yard games again this season but don't expect to see him log the ball 35 times a game as he did in several contests in 2004.

That is not how the team won in 1987. That's not how the team won in 1991.

Don't assume that the formula the team used with Riggins is the one the staff is still wedded to.

Each of Gibbs title teams found new ways to win.

Remember that Rypien had 3,600 yards and 28 td's in 1991 while Byner had 1,048 yards.

That's the problem. We only run well against bad defenses. I'll be surprised if Portis gets much more than 50 yards next week.

The Bears don't have a bad defense, at all. Portis did quite well against them. He had a good game against Tampa last year, so we'll see what happens.

What? You think the Bears have a bad Defense? Portis went for 120 on them in week 1!!!

We ran, and ran well, when we really needed to. When we shaved 6 mins off the clock to begin the 4th that was huge, and it wouldnt even had to come down to that 4th down play had it not been for that phantom call on Rabach. Portis is a little banged up, but he will play and play hard.

Where Is Our Running Game??

I Happen To Think Its Still In Washington.

There Is Always Room For Improvment, But To Act As If Our Rushing Is Last In The League Is Rediculous. We Are In The Top Percentage Of Rushing Teams In The League. And We Have Faced The Top Defenses In The League.

Philly, Dallas,chicago,denver, And Now Tampa.

If We Were The Eagle's Running Game Then I'd Be Worried, But We Average Pretty Good Yardage On Runs.

They need to call more tosses and misdirections. Get him in the open field and running outside. He isn't a between the tackles runner.

From what I saw, they called two tosses last night. The first one went for like 10-15 yards and the second one went for about 5.

Where Is Our Running Game??

I Happen To Think Its Still In Washington.

There Is Always Room For Improvment, But To Act As If Our Rushing Is Last In The League Is Rediculous. We Are In The Top Percentage Of Rushing Teams In The League. And We Have Faced The Top Defenses In The League.

Philly, Dallas,chicago,denver, And Now Tampa.

If We Were The Eagle's Running Game Then I'd Be Worried, But We Average Pretty Good Yardage On Runs.

Our running game is definately inconsistant. Clinton Portis is currently ranked number 11 in the NFL, however on his average yard per carry stat there are 15 backs out of the top 20 with a higher average. It's not the end of the world but the bottomline is that at this time we cannot count on the running game when is is third and three or third and four. As I said we have to rely on the passing game in this situation and whats worse is the opposing defense knows this. This does and will continue to cause problems against the better defenses in the league.

Archived