Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do the Redskins remind you of the Bengals? (In a good way)

21dave

I was thinking about the strides the Bengals have made in the past few years, and it reminds me of what the Redskins have done.

Step One: Importing a no-nonsense coach. The Bengals brought in Marvin Lewis, the Redskins brought in the greatest no-nonsense coach of all time in Coach Gibbs.

Step Two: Get rid of the non-believers, no matter how talented. The Bengals got rid of Takeo Spikes and Corey Dillon despite their talent, just like Coach Gibbs jettisoned Jeremiah Trotter and Lav Coles.

Step Three: Have a veteran QB backed up by a highly touted youngster. The Bengals made strides with Jon Kitna with Carson Palmer waiting in the wings. learning from the veteran. The Redskins have resurgent Mark Brunell with Jason Campbell observing and learning how a proven winner conducts themselves and learns the game.

Step Four: Have a breakout WR. The Bengals have Chad Johnson and the Redskins have Santan Moss. Two of the best there are.

Step Five: Take a giant leap forward out of years of mediocrity. The Bengals almost made the playoffs the past two years and the Skins are finally putting together a solid team with a good mix of vets and young players.

Step Six (one the Skins haven't taken yet): Step back to take a step forward. This will happen when Jason Campbell takes the reigns. It will be inevitable for the team to take a step back while he learns the ropes, but I think in the long run he will develop to something not unlike a Carson Palmer. A strong, mobile QB with a good arm. And like Palmer, he didn't blossom until his senior season and sat out the entire rookie season to learn from a veteran.

All in all, it's scary to call the Bengals a model franchise, but I think the Redskins are following their blueprint. We are even topping it because we have a top tier defense, while the Bengals are still trying to establish their Defense. Bottom line, for the first time in a few years, we have solid plan in place that we are following and seems to be working.

I don't see Gibbs having the team take a step backward in order to take one forward. If Gibbs were the Bengals coach, I doubt he would have benched Kitna after year 1. Gibbs loves his veterans and will play them until they can't play any more. And from the way the Bengals started last year, they could have used a veteran QB. Carson Palmer did not do well at all at the beginning of last year. He was throwing a TON of picks, and even had one game where he threw 3 picks and 0 TD. If he were asked to start when he was ready, as opposed to being arbitrarily handed the job for year 2, maybe the Bengals would have made the playoffs last year.

And say for example Carson Palmer got hurt last year before he started to "get it". Then Marvin Lewis would have to start Kitna, and their season would be already ruined without Carson Palmer getting the proper experience.

I don't see Gibbs having the team take a step backward in order to take one forward. If Gibbs were the Bengals coach, I doubt he would have benched Kitna after year 1. Gibbs loves his veterans and will play them until they can't play any more. And from the way the Bengals started last year, they could have used a veteran QB. Carson Palmer did not do well at all at the beginning of last year. He was throwing a TON of picks, and even had one game where he threw 3 picks and 0 TD. If he were asked to start when he was ready, as opposed to being arbitrarily handed the job for year 2, maybe the Bengals would have made the playoffs last year.

And say Carson Palmer got hurt last year before he started to "get it". Then Marvin Lewis would have to start Kitna, and their season would be already ruined without Carson Palmer getting the proper experience.

Ok, I agree with that. But the point I was trying to make was that Campbell is the future and when he steps in, be it next year, the year after, or however long Brunell keeps this up, the team will likely take a step back. I think the Big Ben's of the world are the exception, not the rule, and most quarterbacks start out slowly and begin to build momentum after 6 or 7 games.

Archived