Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

tuna questions jones' durability

MrSilverMaC

Sorry, I have no link as this was posted on a cowgirls forum.

Jones' durability a concern

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

IRVING -- Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is sounding increasingly concerned about the durability of starting running back Julius Jones, who has not practiced since suffering a left high ankle sprain against the Eagles on Oct. 9.

Parcells said Monday that he doubts Jones will play against the Cardinals on Sunday. The Cowboys will have a bye week after the Arizona game, which could give Jones some additional time to heal.

"I think he’s a good kid who works hard," Parcells said of Jones. "He trains hard. I think he’s a good running back. But part of it is durability. That’s the second critical factor for that position. Besides vision and instincts, that’s the second critical factor. I’m not saying he’s not durable. But I am concerned because next Sunday, if he misses that game, it’ll be 11 1/2 games he’s missed out of 24."

Jones has rushed for 407 yards and three touchdown this season, but he still doesn't have a 100-yard game. Jones averaged 102.4 yards per game in eight games last season, but he missed half the season with a broken shoulder blade.

"I’m hopeful we’ll get over this," Parcells said. "I think that’s why we’re having a tendency to not really push it, because I don’t want him to have a reoccurence and be out for the rest of the year."

Parcells said the offense misses Jones' elusiveness.

Parcells' shove: A day after the Cowboys' 13-10 loss to the Seahawks, a lot of the talk in the locker room centered on Parcells shoving receivers coach Todd Haley on the sideline.

Several players said they watched replays of Parcells shoving Haley after he tried to get involved in a dispute with officials.

"In light of the things that happened two weeks ago in the league, we got a memorandum from the league about conduct toward officials and rightfully so," Parcells said Monday. "So I told my team and my coaches that I don't want that and that I'll be the one that talks to officials. And I don't berate the officials. I told [Haley] to stop and he didn't. So we had to have a little talk with him."

The altercation occurred after officials waved off an illegal contact penalty on Seahawks safety Marquand Manuel early in the fourth quarter. Both Parcells and tight end Jason Witten, who Manuel was covering, were livid after the call.

But when Haley attempted to interject something from the sideline, Parcells turned and shoved him. Parcells then finished his conversation with the officials.

Moments later, he and Haley continued shouting at each other. The two worked together with the Jets, and Haley has the reputation for being one of the most fiery coaches on the Cowboys' staff.

Asked Monday if Haley ducked the punch, Parcells smiled briefly and then moved on to another subject.

Haley was unavailable for comment. Parcells does not allow his assistant coaches to speak with reporters during the season.

Across the NFL, several players have been ejected this season for making contact with officials. The Ravens had two players ejected in a loss to the Lions two weeks ago and Tampa Bay cornerback Ronde Barber inadvertently punched an official in the eye as he tried to go after Jets center Kevin Mawae.

Those incidents, along with several others, are what prompted league officials to send out a memorandum to every team in the league.

Archived