Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DP: Good score, but not much difficulty factor for Redskins

bubba9497

Good score, but not much difficulty factor for Redskins

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12980432.htm

LANDOVER, Md. - Clinton Portis executed a couple of cartwheels and LaVar Arrington did a little dance in the defensive huddle during a commercial break.

Joe Gibbs shifted into cruise control just past the half and Patrick Ramsey got some air time.

It was that kind of day for the Washington Redskins, who had about an easy a Sunday as it gets in a profession in which grown men run into each other at full speed.

``I think we've played about seven or eight straight where it's come down to the last play of the game,'' Gibbs said after the Redskins' 52-17 wax job over San Francisco.

``I think it was good to have one of those games where you could get some guys out towards the end of the game and get a breath of fresh air and kind of relax in the fourth quarter.''

The Skins and 49ers played one of those games where all but the most devoted fans felt guilty about not power-washing the porch or cleaning the grease trap. Those who stuck with it either out of desire or obligation couldn't help but wonder, ``Gee, when was the last time ?''

A few answers: A 56-17 win against Atlanta on Nov. 10, 1991 was the last time the Redskins scored more than 52 points; a 50-21 win over the Giants in September of '99 was the last time they scored 50; 41-3 versus Phoenix in November of '92 was their last win more lopsided.

``It felt so amazing,'' Redskins' H-back Chris Cooley said. ``It was amazing to go in at halftime up 35-7. Basically, with our defense, you know that it's over at halftime. If we can just keep putting points up like that, our defense will do the job.''

Sunday's result was equal parts Redskins and 49ers. The Redskins were efficient on offense and relentless on defense. They forced turnovers and converted them into points.

Quarterback Mark Brunell averaged nearly 20 yards per pass on his 13 completions and threw for three touchdowns against the NFL's lowest-ranked pass defense.

Receivers Santana Moss, David Patten and Cooley were so alone at times that you thought, instead of their names, the stitching on their jerseys read: Infected With Bird Flu.

The Redskins had 18 plays covering at least 10 yards. They would have had more, except the field is only 100 yards long.

Meanwhile, the 49ers are bad, injured and young a deadly combination. Niners' highlights included the coin toss, a snappy little first-quarter touchdown drive, and a 72-yard scamper by Frank Gore after most folks had turned away to make dinner plans.

Niners' rookie quarterback Alex Smith, last spring's No. 1 overall draft choice, committed two turnovers and continues the most tortured apprenticeship since Mike Brown said, ``Sure, I think I can run FEMA.''

Arrington, the former Pro Bowl linebacker who spent nearly all of the first five games on the shelf, saw extended duty for the first time this season.

It was unclear if his extended playing time was because he was physically more capable, or if the opposition lent itself to the coaches using him more often.

What was clear is that the fans still connect with him. He received an immense ovation when he entered the game in the first quarter.

Arrington was credited with a team-high nine tackles and folks cheered each time he even came close to making a play.

``I love them for that,'' Arrington said. ``I attribute 90 percent of my success to them. How can you block someone with that type of energy that they gave?''

The Redskins' energy took many forms Sunday. After Portis scored the second of his three touchdowns, he did cartwheels.

``I was in gymnastics when I was little,'' Portis explained.

``Man, it was nice,'' Moss said. ``I don't know too much about gymnastics, but I would have given him a `10.'''

Ten wasn't nearly enough Sunday.

Posted on Sun, Oct. 23, 2005

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12980432.htm

Good score, but not much difficulty factor for Redskins

BY DAVE FAIRBANK

Daily Press (Newport News, Va.).

LANDOVER, Md. - Clinton Portis executed a couple of cartwheels and LaVar Arrington did a little dance in the defensive huddle during a commercial break.

Joe Gibbs shifted into cruise control just past the half and Patrick Ramsey got some air time.

It was that kind of day for the Washington Redskins, who had about an easy a Sunday as it gets in a profession in which grown men run into each other at full speed.

``I think we've played about seven or eight straight where it's come down to the last play of the game,'' Gibbs said after the Redskins' 52-17 wax job over San Francisco.

``I think it was good to have one of those games where you could get some guys out towards the end of the game and get a breath of fresh air and kind of relax in the fourth quarter.''

The Skins and 49ers played one of those games where all but the most devoted fans felt guilty about not power-washing the porch or cleaning the grease trap. Those who stuck with it either out of desire or obligation couldn't help but wonder, ``Gee, when was the last time ?''

A few answers: A 56-17 win against Atlanta on Nov. 10, 1991 was the last time the Redskins scored more than 52 points; a 50-21 win over the Giants in September of '99 was the last time they scored 50; 41-3 versus Phoenix in November of '92 was their last win more lopsided.

``It felt so amazing,'' Redskins' H-back Chris Cooley said. ``It was amazing to go in at halftime up 35-7. Basically, with our defense, you know that it's over at halftime. If we can just keep putting points up like that, our defense will do the job.''

Sunday's result was equal parts Redskins and 49ers. The Redskins were efficient on offense and relentless on defense. They forced turnovers and converted them into points.

Quarterback Mark Brunell averaged nearly 20 yards per pass on his 13 completions and threw for three touchdowns against the NFL's lowest-ranked pass defense.

Receivers Santana Moss, David Patten and Cooley were so alone at times that you thought, instead of their names, the stitching on their jerseys read: Infected With Bird Flu.

The Redskins had 18 plays covering at least 10 yards. They would have had more, except the field is only 100 yards long.

Meanwhile, the 49ers are bad, injured and young a deadly combination. Niners' highlights included the coin toss, a snappy little first-quarter touchdown drive, and a 72-yard scamper by Frank Gore after most folks had turned away to make dinner plans.

Niners' rookie quarterback Alex Smith, last spring's No. 1 overall draft choice, committed two turnovers and continues the most tortured apprenticeship since Mike Brown said, ``Sure, I think I can run FEMA.''

Arrington, the former Pro Bowl linebacker who spent nearly all of the first five games on the shelf, saw extended duty for the first time this season.

It was unclear if his extended playing time was because he was physically more capable, or if the opposition lent itself to the coaches using him more often.

What was clear is that the fans still connect with him. He received an immense ovation when he entered the game in the first quarter.

Arrington was credited with a team-high nine tackles and folks cheered each time he even came close to making a play.

``I love them for that,'' Arrington said. ``I attribute 90 percent of my success to them. How can you block someone with that type of energy that they gave?''

The Redskins' energy took many forms Sunday. After Portis scored the second of his three touchdowns, he did cartwheels.

``I was in gymnastics when I was little,'' Portis explained.

``Man, it was nice,'' Moss said. ``I don't know too much about gymnastics, but I would have given him a `10.'''

Ten wasn't nearly enough Sunday.

Archived