Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Peter King on Art Monk and HOF

Yomar

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/08/05/mmqb/

Memo to Mel Kiper: You say Art Monk should be a lock for the Hall of Fame, and you say you can't figure a single reason why he hasn't been voted in. I'm a voter. Here's why: Monk played 16 NFL seasons. He was All-Pro twice. He led his team in receiving six times in 16 seasons. I covered the Giants in the mid-‘80s, and they respected Gary Clark and feared Clark far more than Monk. Yes, he caught more than 900 balls. In 10 years, he'll be about 15th on the all-time receptions list. Classy guy, wonderful person off the field -- but neither of those things can be factored in when we consider qualification for induction. Monk belongs in the Hall of Very Good, not the Hall of Fame.

Even though I didn't like seeing Art Monk breaking the record elsewhere, I think he should be in there. The fact that it's up for discussion means he should be there. Period. Point blank.

He'll get in after they finishing putting the whole damn 85 Bears and 74-79 Steelers in the Hall of Fame.

Peter King is a jackass anyhow!

That's just silly. Art Monk had the record for most catches, most consecutive catches and won many many games for the skins. Without question he was one of the keystones of the Gibbs era. Steve Largent was lauded for doing this for the Seahawks and did not contribute as significantly as Monk. Unless there is an admission that players like Largent were mistakenly selected, Monk should be in.

Don't subtract from the greatness that was Art Monk just b/c he had the greatness that was Gary Clark lining up across the field from him during the Skins most successful period. Not to mention the greatness that was Ricky Sanders in the slot.

There were plenty of years when Monk was the most feared wideout on the team and was just as significant to the Skins as Largent was to the Seahawks.

Plus, going to Super Bowls and playing well during the playoffs should carry moer weight than it does.

From Chris Mortenson's mailbag (aug. 5)

Q: In your chat the other day, you were asked about eligible players who weren't in the Hall of Fame. Why hasn't Art Monk been elected? On the field he was great, over 800 receptions, over 100 in a season (in a rushing offense), the streak of consecutive games with a reception and several rings. Is it because he was reserved and never looked for the spotlight? -- Andy, Washington, D.C.

MORT -- Andy, I think Monk is going to be elected, maybe even this time around. True, he was not a charismatic media guy, but he had a lot of respect. I think the fact that he was a possession receiver, as opposed to a guy who had a lot of "big" plays, made him a less glamorous receiver.

Archived