Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D Gardener article from FL Sun-Sentinel

Southtown

Came across this yesterday in the Florida paper, don't know if it has been posted yet. Naturally the writer finds a reason to comment on Snyder...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-marvez080402.column?coll=sfla%2Ddolphins%2Dfront

MARVEZ: Gardener beware--Snyder not very patient

Published August 4, 2002

The Modern-Day Gladiator was born at least 20 years too late.

After spending about 90 minutes at Daryl Gardener’s gorgeous lair in Coral Springs last Wednesday, I’m certain the ex-Dolphins defensive lineman would have been a perfect fit with John Matuszak, Lyle Alzado and the rest of the fun-loving misfits who once played for the Oakland Raiders in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

This opinion isn’t generated solely from Gardener’s penchant for living life in a fashion as large as his 6-foot-6, 314-pound frame. Or a love of motorcycles that would have earned him initiation in whatever Hell’s Angel cell he chose. Or even for freely expressing himself in the media with the kind of swagger that rubbed Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt and some of his former teammates the wrong way.

It’s the fact that the NFL was different back then, where it wouldn’t generate media gossip if a player chose to unwind with a drink and cigar in a local bar (like Gardener reportedly did on one of his recent free-agent visits). An era where training camps lasted for almost two months instead of six weeks and featured six exhibition games, which would suit Gardener perfectly because of his immense passion for the game. And because strength programs weren’t nearly as regimented as they are today, Gardener would have lifted weights in the fashion he wanted (something that didn’t happen with the Dolphins).

But since we can’t turn back the clock, Gardener will instead have to try and find happiness with his new team — the Washington Redskins. Considering the talent surrounding him on defense, Gardener should be thrilled about this opportunity to get his NFL career back on track.

Gardener excitedly recalled a brief conversation he had with defensive tackle Dan “Big Daddy” Wilkinson while visiting a Redskins practice before signing.

“They had a goal-line drill and I looked and said, ‘This guy is bigger than Timbo,’” Gardener said, referring to 315-pound Dolphins defensive tackle Tim Bowens. “Big Daddy came up to me and said, ‘Man, I need you, dog. Come on up here.’ I said I would help him out. He needs some help because right now they’re just double-teaming the mess out of him.

“It should be a good fit. It’s going to be similar to me and Tim Bowens [with the Dolphins]. The only difference is that [Wilkinson] is a little more active. I think he reported at 360 [pounds]. But he surprised me. This big man is athletic.”

Gardener also met with Redskins owner Dan Snyder to alleviate the concerns generated by his abrupt release from the Dolphins on July 19. It’s believed Snyder was the one who championed the Gardener signing against the advice of some of his front-office personnel.

“Mr. Snyder and I had a long talk about life and how he became successful, how people shot him down and how he dropped out of college,” said Gardener, who was signed to a one-year contract. “I’m like, ‘This is the youngest damn owner I’ve seen in my life.’

“It put things in perspective. He just made it clear to me that, ‘We want you. We want to keep you here. We want to give you everything you need to be successful.’ There was no [b.s.] conversation with everybody. I told them straight I’m not about that. I’m not about people lying to me and telling me one thing and doing something else. They gave me their word that whatever they say, they’ll do. No sugarcoating. If we have a problem with you, we’ll let you know. I have no problem with that. I wanted that from day one [with the Dolphins].”

Gardener, though, should realize this is the same Dan Snyder who has fired more than 100 employees since purchasing the team in 1999. If he doesn’t produce, stay healthy and ingratiate himself with his new teammates, Gardener won’t be receiving the multiyear contract extension he hopes to land.

But hey, it would give Gardener the chance to sign with the Raiders in 2003.

Not sure, but it sounds like that if you don't succeed and you don't do what your supposed to do, most areas do go ahead and give you all your asking for?

WOW. Snyder. That little tyrant. His shrewd.

Never fear fans of the world, we'll be watching this little devil and his "earn your money" attitude.

Interesting insight into how Snyder negotiates. Sounds like he does a very good sell. And if it is true that Snyder did this against the wishes of the front office...good. I have a feeling there are some too-conservative voices (Mendes?) in the front office. Good for balance, but occasionally need to be overruled or else we are back in Casserly land, always starting every season two players short of a good team.

The last line- when they say "he would have been a better fit at {insert sportswriters' favorite team}," you know it was a good signing.

and those 100 people fired include all of the Norv and Marty people that left with those regime changes, so a lot of people were affected by the change of two jobs :)

besides, Snyder has a much different attitude regarding the players on the field and the accountants he has in the front office.

fairly or not, the players will get better treatment.

Remember that book written by JKC's chaueffeur about all the verbal abuse Cooke used to heap on some people who worked for him?

And how that behavior didn't extend to Gibbs, the GM or the players on the Skins?

I think if you go around the league other owners like Jones, Hunt, Davis, etc. have had their 'episodes' over the years where people who worked for them claimed some kind of unfair treatment.

How long are they going to waste print on Snyder firing people ?

Tell me any corpoation thatn doesn't De-layer after a merger/Acquisition ?

Most organizations ,short of the Federal government do.

It's Danny's team, lock,stock and barrell.

Maybe we shouldn't post any of this "Kentucky Windage" on our board in the future. It's a waste of space. Let the Bucs,Iggles and Cowgirls fans revel in such swill over on The Sporting News boards.

We can take the lead from our fearless leader, SOS, and not waste time responding to these unworthy demagogues whose words would be best used next to the Sears catalogues in the outhouse latrine.

Archived