Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: REDSKINS NOTEBOOK: Springs, Harris Expected to Play

spanishomelette

REDSKINS NOTEBOOK

Springs, Harris Expected to Play

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001615.html

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, October 11, 2005; Page E08

The Washington Redskins are awaiting the results of a precautionary MRI exam on cornerback Shawn Springs and a second opinion on injured place kicker John Hall.

The team is optimistic that Springs, who left Sunday's loss in Denver with a shin injury, and fellow starting cornerback Walt Harris, who has missed two games with a quadriceps injury, will play this weekend in Kansas City, while Hall remains week-to-week.

X-rays revealed no breaks in Springs's bruised shin, head athletic trainer John Burrell said; the MRI exam was ordered to ascertain the severity of the injury.

Hall exercised his right to a second opinion to verify his condition. Hall, who has been out since straining his quad late in the Redskins' Week 1 win over Chicago, has been able to increase his number of practice kicks in recent weeks, but has not been able to kick as much as he normally would.

Harris will return to practice tomorrow in a limited role, Burrell said, and then build through the week. "We really feel good about his participation this weekend," Burrell said. "But it's day-to-day."

The Redskins suffered no other significant injuries this week, with tackle Joe Salave'a and running back Clinton Portis playing through minor ailments. Offensive lineman Jon Jansen, who has been playing with two broken thumbs, will not need a cast on his left hand this weekend, Burrell said.

Situation Arrington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach Joe Gibbs said he hopes linebacker LaVar Arrington, who did not participate in a single play Sunday, will play more in the future, but he did not figure into the game plan for Denver, a team that runs deceptive cutback plays and throws often outside the pocket. Arrington, a three-time Pro Bowler, has played in just seven plays over the past three games after missing most of last season and training camp with knee injuries.

"We've gradually tried to work him back in there," Gibbs said. "But the point is in a game like this where you're leaving your starters in there and going after it hard, and with what they did on offense we were nervous about doing a lot of substitution, and as a consequence he didn't play much. Right now, hey, it's a coach's decision. So I guess you can blame that on us."

Gibbs also pointed out that several other media outlets misconstrued a conversation he had with Arrington coming off the field after a practice last week, in which the coach pointed his finger in Arrington's chest. Gibbs said that had the meeting been confrontational at all, it would have taken place privately in his office, and apologized to Arrington for the situation, nonetheless.

"Everybody who made a big deal out of that conversation," Gibbs said, "that was the most congenial conversation I think I've ever had with anybody, and what I was saying to him in there was, 'You can help the football team.' That's when my finger came out."

Gibbs Bemused by Calls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gibbs was still fuming during yesterday's news conference about several calls from Sunday's loss, including a safety that was overturned, a touchdown negated by offensive pass interference and a holding penalty that curtailed a long run. While pointing out that those decisions did not cost the team the game, he bemoaned the lack of consistency from the referees and is sending several plays to the NFL to be reviewed. "There's some mystery stuff going on," Gibbs said. "We can't find it. So we'll turn it in [to the league]. . . . But that's part of life, and you've got to move on." . . .

Quarterback Mark Brunell attempted 53 passes Sunday, most in his career. . . .

Gibbs said that the Redskins' streak of six straight games decided by three points or less is an NFL record. . . .

Washington protected well against the pass Sunday, and has done so the last two weeks in particular. "We did a great job communicating up front," tackle Chris Samuels said, "and directing traffic in whatever was coming on the blitz." . . .

The team will hold its annual "Fourth and Life" forum for 500 local high school football players at FedEx Field today, with Springs and tight end Robert Royal among those emphasizing the importance of college and education.

I truly believe, and I posted this in another thread as well, that Walt Harris is a true spark to this defense. He was flying all over the field making plays against Chicago and Dallas. I don't think its a coincidence that he's been out for two weeks and we've had our two poorest performances defensively. I think GW has unearthed another star!

Harris > Smoot. Before his injury, Harris was playing at a pro-bowl level; I think he becomes the next deserving Redskin player to be snubbed for the pro-bowl :D .

I was pulling my hair out watching Jimoh line up at corner.

Shawn and Walt. Welcome back>

Jimoh did have a couple of nice plays, including the safety on Plummer. He knocked the crap out of him!! He got beaten for the TD by Lelie, but that was a very hard play to break up. I think Springs might have been beaten on that as well; only ST may have been able to break that one up. It was the perfect jump and catch by Lelie, and a nice throw from Plummer.

Jimoh did have a couple of nice plays, including the safety on Plummer. He knocked the crap out of him!! He got beaten for the TD by Lelie, but that was a very hard play to break up. I think Springs might have been beaten on that as well; only ST may have been able to break that one up. It was the perfect jump and catch by Lelie, and a nice throw from Plummer.

Jimoh was lucky Denver had the lead and was trying to preserve it at home. If Denver was down the would've thrown to his side all day. :2cents:

I truly believe, and I posted this in another thread as well, that Walt Harris is a true spark to this defense. He was flying all over the field making plays against Chicago and Dallas. I don't think its a coincidence that he's been out for two weeks and we've had our two poorest performances defensively. I think GW has unearthed another star!

Harris > Smoot. Before his injury, Harris was playing at a pro-bowl level; I think he becomes the next deserving Redskin player to be snubbed for the pro-bowl :D .

Harris, up untill last year was always a starter and played well when he was with Indy. - He and Marcus were cap (Manning) casualties.

Harris, up untill last year was always a starter and played well when he was with Indy. - He and Marcus were cap (Manning) casualties.

Yeah, he has always been a starter, but he's never been "great" on any team. He played decently in Indy, but nothing to write home about. He's never put up amazing stats.

If you look at Smoot, he always played well opposite a great corner, but in Williams' system he propelled himself into stardom. The same is going to be true for Harris, but even moreso. I just hope we hold on to Walt!

with Springs out that much during the game, its a wonder how Jimoh played as well as he did, minus the td however, he should have at least looked up for that one. Other than that though, its interesting to say we stopped their passing offense with a rookie and a rather green CB still. Again I am just more worried about our LB play, especially of Holdman.

Archived