Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freak's Peek: Standout stats

freakofthesouth

I was just reviewing yesterday's stats from the game. While I am in complete agreance that statistics a W does not make, I would like to point out a few significant positive factors:

1st downs. We had 28 to their 11. This is a very big step for our offense that was not even close to this stat last season. 18 of these first downs were acquired through the air. Impressive.

Punting average. We really hurt ourselves here. We averaged under 37 yards / kick, even though some of them were meant to be pinned inside the twenty. The kick that nearly got us a safety was the high point in a relatively poor punting display. Saurbraun (sp?), on the other hand, had an average of over 47 yards. That is a big deal, and a gaping difference.

The fumble. IMO, this is what cost us the game. You cannot come out on the negative end of turnovers and expect to win four games straight. We defied football logic by winning 3 games in this fashion. It finally caught up w/ us.

time of possession. We had the ball over 7 minutes longer than they did, and we apparently sustained our drives w/ more efficiency that them. Classic Joe Gibbs ball.

Here we go: total net yards: we had 447 yards of offense. They had 257. Take away two huge rushing plays, and this is utter domination. I am blown away by this stat.

Rushing yards. They beat us here, but not by much. We had 125 on the ground, and they mustered 165 on the ground. They are a very good rushing team, as the broke the Redskins streak of holding backs under 100 yards. Kudos to Tatum.

Passing yards...they had 92, and that's all. W/ a few ill-timed drops for them, we were able to hold Jake to under the 1-bill mark. The resurgent Mark Brunell, however, went for 322 in the air. Wow, Mark. Sorry I doubted you.

The killer stat: RED ZONE EFFICIENCY. We were 2-4 in the red zone. We must focus our attention to finishing drives, as this is the reason we did not dominate the scoreboard. We beat them in many phases of the game, yet we could not capitalize when we could smell our own endzone. We need 6 every time the turf is 'red'.

Random points. Their big runs may have been sprung because of our corner situation. Anytime we have an unproven rookie on one side, and Ade Jimoh on the other, I will worry. And each of these runs, though maybe not directly attributed to our corner's lack of ability, were bounced to the outside. Where was the containment? We will suffer if Springs and/or Harris will be missing any more time this season.

Where was Taylor? I didn't really noticed his presence out there until he smacked Tatum in the first half. Then he sortof disappeared again. Maybe it's a good thing that DB's names aren't getting called, but the playmakers need to be making plays.

Concluding...we are a much improved team, as I am well-aware that all on this board know it. We will need to bounce back in KC though, and not lose that wining attitude. Losiing is part of the game in the NFL, as every team, each season, suffers losses. It how we deal w/ the loss that seperates the champs from the spectators. So let's see some more of this 'fight' that we have seen for four games now this season. We need a win next week very badly. Hopefully, they all know it.

I was just reviewing yesterday's stats from the game. While I am in complete agreance that statistics a W does not make, I would like to point out a few significant positive factors:

1st downs. We had 28 to their 11. This is a very big step for our offense that was not even close to this stat last season. 18 of these first downs were acquired through the air. Impressive.

Punting average. We really hurt ourselves here. We averaged under 37 yards / kick, even though some of them were meant to be pinned inside the twenty. The kick that nearly got us a safety was the high point in a relatively poor punting display. Saurbraun (sp?), on the other hand, had an average of over 47 yards. That is a big deal, and a gaping difference.

The fumble. IMO, this is what cost us the game. You cannot come out on the negative end of turnovers and expect to win four games straight. We defied football logic by winning 3 games in this fashion. It finally caught up w/ us.

time of possession. We had the ball over 7 minutes longer than they did, and we apparently sustained our drives w/ more efficiency that them. Classic Joe Gibbs ball.

Here we go: total net yards: we had 447 yards of offense. They had 257. Take away two huge rushing plays, and this is utter domination. I am blown away by this stat.

Rushing yards. They beat us here, but not by much. We had 125 on the ground, and they mustered 165 on the ground. They are a very good rushing team, as the broke the Redskins streak of holding backs under 100 yards. Kudos to Tatum.

Passing yards...they had 92, and that's all. W/ a few ill-timed drops for them, we were able to hold Jake to under the 1-bill mark. The resurgent Mark Brunell, however, went for 322 in the air. Wow, Mark. Sorry I doubted you.

The killer stat: RED ZONE EFFICIENCY. We were 2-4 in the red zone. We must focus our attention to finishing drives, as this is the reason we did not dominate the scoreboard. We beat them in many phases of the game, yet we could not capitalize when we could smell our own endzone. We need 6 every time the turf is 'red'.

Random points. Their big runs may have been sprung because of our corner situation. Anytime we have an unproven rookie on one side, and Ade Jimoh on the other, I will worry. And each of these runs, though maybe not directly attributed to our corner's lack of ability, were bounced to the outside. Where was the containment? We will suffer if Springs and/or Harris will be missing any more time this season.

Where was Taylor? I didn't really noticed his presence out there until he smacked Tatum in the first half. Then he sortof disappeared again. Maybe it's a good thing that DB's names aren't getting called, but the playmakers need to be making plays.

Concluding...we are a much improved team, as I am well-aware that all on this board know it. We will need to bounce back in KC though, and not lose that wining attitude. Losiing is part of the game in the NFL, as every team, each season, suffers losses. It how we deal w/ the loss that seperates the champs from the spectators. So let's see some more of this 'fight' that we have seen for four games now this season. We need a win next week very badly. Hopefully, they all know it.

Great post Freak.....

Almost a breakout game for the O. 1 more score or 1 less by the Broncs and people would be going nuts about our O on this board. There were so many 'if that had gone differently we would have won' plays in the game it was freaky (and we only needed 1 of the many). We are getting better as a team at a pace that is awesome, though of course this will inevitably slow. Of course there are things to work on but it is looking more like fine tuning now which is an awesome position for the team to be in after 4 games of a new season following a 6 - 10.

5 and 1 after the next two - who wouldn't have taken that at the start of the season?

I am not too bummed about the loss because it was non conference and anytime you lose it hurts but it would hurt more if it was against the cowboys and we lost 30-10 like the fiflthadelphia eagles. :)

As long as we sweep the nfc west take care of tampa and win 4 of our 5 nfc east games remanining and beat the raiders and maybe a win against the chargers or chiefs I'll be happy. That would put the skins at 13-3. I fully expect the skins to lose an nfc east game and a game against the chargers or chiefs. I rather get the win this week but that will be tough with kansas city coming off a bye. The key this week will be quit making stupid penalties it is a reoccuring theme with this team and I am sick of it.

It's been stated that on both long runs, there were two missed tackles on each. So, I don't think it was the scheme of protecting the CBs. It may have had more to do with the weather. It was rainy and cold...a little more slippery than usual. I can't believe how much worse the tackling was yesterday than normal for this team.

A number of excellent points.

1-Red Zone Offense

I think what we are looking at here is a team that is on the threshold of scoring in the Red Zone more consistantly. It seems like everything that gets focused on & worked on by the coaching staff evetually gets going in the right direction. The staff if definitely going to formulate a plan to gettin RZ TDs, particularly on the ground. But I think that we need to take more deep shots at the end zone before we get to the red zone.

2-447 yards of offense? When was the last time we did that?

3-The fumble by itself didn't cost us the game. It was early, and we could have stopped Bell in the backfield for a turnover on downs. Even so, getting down by 7 in the first quarter is not a gamebreaker, and you have to expect a fumble or two in weather like that.

I don't need no stinking stats to tell me what I saw. We're a good team that wasted a couple of opportunities and made stupid mistakes. Hopefully the team will learn from it.

Bugel's new false start penalty should be "come to the sideline and let me kick you square in your 'boys!"

Actually I believe Taylor was being held in the backfield as back up coverage because of Rogers and Jimoh being both in

But I too was surprised to not see or hear much out of him this game

Yep, with the corners hurt they couldn't afford to bring him close to the line. The Broncos completed 10 passes all day so you can bet they knew where he was. The one thing that has changed since Taylor got here is that nobody throws the ball down the middle of the field against the Skins. Taylor just covers way too much ground.

Archived