Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Williams vs. Lewis as Coaches

StevieInferior

Having had Marvin Lewis here for a bit and now Greg Williams, I think that it is safe to say that Williams is a better game planner and coordinator than Lewis. However, I also think we can see why lewis is succeeding as a head coach and Williams did not. A lot of what defines a coach is how he deals witht he big name players. According to reports, Lewis found Arrington's recklessness as a liability much like Williams supposedly does. However, Lewis found a way to get 12 (or somewhere in the neighborhood) sacks out of Lavar despite him "not fitting the scheme". In the NFL, there are always going to be players that are going to be forced upon a team, whether it be for salary cap purposes or whatever. A good coach learns to utilize the talents of all his players and not let several millon dollars sit on the bench as a supposed punishment. I mean c'mon, do you really think that Williams can get something out of Chris CLemons, Ryan Clark, Lemar marshall, and not Lavar Arrington????? Despite the fact that he maybe 'reckless' he has not shown himself to be selfish and you can not convince me that there is not room in the scheme with someone of his talent. if lewis can get 12 sacks out of him, why can't Williams? :helmet: :logo:

Having had Marvin Lewis here for a bit and now Greg Williams, I think that it is safe to say that Williams is a better game planner and coordinator than Lewis. However, I also think we can see why lewis is succeeding as a head coach and Williams did not. A lot of what defines a coach is how he deals witht he big name players. According to reports, Lewis found Arrington's recklessness as a liability much like Williams supposedly does. However, Lewis found a way to get 12 (or somewhere in the neighborhood) sacks out of Lavar despite him "not fitting the scheme". In the NFL, there are always going to be players that are going to be forced upon a team, whether it be for salary cap purposes or whatever. A good coach learns to utilize the talents of all his players and not let several millon dollars sit on the bench as a supposed punishment. I mean c'mon, do you really think that Williams can get something out of Chris CLemons, Ryan Clark, Lemar marshall, and not Lavar Arrington????? Despite the fact that he maybe 'reckless' he has not shown himself to be selfish and you can not convince me that there is not room in the scheme with someone of his talent. if lewis can get 12 sacks out of him, why can't Williams? :helmet: :logo:

---------------

Good points. However, lest we forget, Lewis was here for only a year. Prior to that he had what MANY will say was the best defense of ALL TIME. If you meant while Lewis was in Washington you might have an argument. But Williams D can't even be mentioned in the same breath as Lewis' if you look at his complete D-Coord record. Also, GW is stubborn and smellin' himself way too much right now.

I agree with everything else you mentioned

I like Williams better and he has the potential to make the best D, the only reason that Ravens D was considered so good is because they got to play the Browns and Bengals twice a year, and both of those teams sucked back then. Thats like I us having to play the Cardinals, Bears, or 49ers twice this year, our defense would break records to.

Greg Williams needs to put Lavar on the field

Guest Gichin13
I like Williams better and he has the potential to make the best D, the only reason that Ravens D was considered so good is because they got to play the Browns and Bengals twice a year, and both of those teams sucked back then. Thats like I us having to play the Cardinals, Bears, or 49ers twice this year, our defense would break records to.

Greg Williams needs to put Lavar on the field

I liked our D as much as anyone, but let's get real here. We are stout and solid, we are not frightening. We have no one jarring the ball loose and taking it back for touchdowns. We get no picks, let alone picks returned for 7.

If you compare us to great defenses like the Ravens their Super Bowl year, old Giants with LT, Bears in 85, those defense swarmed, pressured, and forced tons of sacks and turnovers. They created shortened fields for scores. We are good at stopping folks, but not create at shortening the field.

---------------

Good points. However, lest we forget, Lewis was here for only a year. Prior to that he had what MANY will say was the best defense of ALL TIME. If you meant while Lewis was in Washington you might have an argument. But Williams D can't even be mentioned in the same breath as Lewis' if you look at his complete D-Coord record. Also, GW is stubborn and smellin' himself way too much right now.

I agree with everything else you mentioned

2 points:

1. Marv had incredible personnel at Baltimore. Even morons like Mike Nolan could make that team a killer defense.

2. The only star player on Williams team is Lavar, who's too dense to earn playing time. Do you really think Marv could do much with the personnel we have now? Remember before last year everyone saying how dreadful our DL would be? Yet it provided by far the best run D in the NFL. How you can say Williams is "smelling himself too much" is beyond me. :doh:

Archived