Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Couple of observations.

Art

Defensively both Cowsette and Jackson are playing very, very well. Jackson may be someone to think about if he can generate that type of pressure a few more times.

Offensively the thing that is showing is just how clever Spurrier can be. The two plays to Royal are telling. On the first, he drags Royal across the formation and he's wide open. Behind him 15-yards is another wide open player.

This is classic Joe Gibbs layering.

Then, on the touchdown, Spurrier puts three receivers on one side. Once he put the running back in motion, it was either a touchdown to a wide open back, if the free safety held his ground, or a probable touchdown to the tight end if he could beat his man. That was a formation and play call touchdown and was very nice to watch.

The offensive line is keeping things well off Sage and that's a benefit. Tucker gave up some early interior pressure, but not too bad. Sage has guys open on some plays he's missing. If he was more efficient, this offense would be rolling. As it is, it's impressive to not be spiking ourselves. I really thought we might be down 17 at the half like last year's preseason.

In all an acceptable performance. Not enough running, but, I don't think Spurrier's worried about the running game. He has Davis and Davis can put up the numbers. Right now he's concentrating on his passing game and that's ok with me. It needs work and it is starting to come around. Long way to go though.

Archived