Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Smith chat on espn Contenders

jmwills1

J.R. (NYC)

Pretenders or contenders; Giants, 'Skins, Cowboys? And what do you think of Eli, can he be as good as Peyton?

MICHAEL SMITH

Giants: Pretenders -- haven't seen them beat anybody good. Skins: Contenders -- they play great defense, and all they needed last year was a little more from the o. They're getting that this year. Cowboys: Pretenders -- defense is going to take some time. Eeeeew. Eli as good as Peyton? Put it this way. There haven't been many QBs in NFL history who have been as good as Peyton. Eli is going to be really good, but two-time MVP? For one he doesn't have Harrison and James. But Eli will be good. I beat him in high school, you know.

J.R. (NYC)

Pretenders or contenders; Giants, 'Skins, Cowboys? And what do you think of Eli, can he be as good as Peyton?

MICHAEL SMITH

Giants: Pretenders -- haven't seen them beat anybody good. Skins: Contenders -- they play great defense, and all they needed last year was a little more from the o. They're getting that this year. Cowboys: Pretenders -- defense is going to take some time. Eeeeew. Eli as good as Peyton? Put it this way. There haven't been many QBs in NFL history who have been as good as Peyton. Eli is going to be really good, but two-time MVP? For one he doesn't have Harrison and James. But Eli will be good. I beat him in high school, you know.

I like him best on ATH :notworthy

:point2sky

J.R. (NYC)

MICHAEL SMITH

One of the few media guys that has good sense.:wavetowel :point2sky

Chat with Michael Smith

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, ESPN.com senior writer Michael Smith will log on to talk about this weekend's NFL matchups and more.

Check out Michael's latest column on the future of Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, or click here for his entire archive.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9441

Michael Smith: Good morning. Everyone's doing well, I trust. Thanks for spending some time with me today. Let me begin by apologizing up front to those whose questions I'm unable to answer. Let's get to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

crimson: dude... how can mike martz even think about coaching the rams this year?! Most of the people that have Endocarditis die. It is extremely dangerous for him to focus on anything but getting continuous treatment. A lot of times, when players play while injured, they are viewed as heroic. If Martz coaches with this condition, he is STUPID. Let's hope that Mike makes the right decision to step down for the rest of the year. Your thoughts?

Michael Smith: I wouldn't use the word stupid, but I'd just say he's a little too committed. Everyone knows Martz is a workaholic. It just goes to show how driven these coaches are and underscores the fact that collectively they need to slow down. I don't know much about this condition, but if what you say is true, I'd hate to see us lose a coach because he was neglegent about his health. But it looks like he's taking this seriously. Get well soon, Mike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunderland Mass: Is it time to trade Cadillac Williams or stay with him ? Will Thomas Jones keep his job Thank You

Michael Smith: Trade in the Cadillac after one game? Talk about jumping off the bandwagon. Keep that guy. I'm guessing Thomas Jones will keep the job this year and the Bears use Benson as a complementary back. Jones is the better all-around RB right now and more of a contributor (catching and blocking) in the passing game. Sounds like you've got a decent backfield.

Keith (Kalamazoo, MI): Did you give Charles Rogers a urine test before you interviewed him? Guess not! Anyways, safe to say he is a bust?

Michael Smith: No but I should have asked. Who was it, Rick Reilly, who asked Sammy Sosa a few years back? Seriously, I guess it shoudn't come as a surprise considering his history (combine). I'll tell you what, I enjoyed talking to him and he seemed like a nice guy to me. People make mistakes. Speaking of mistakes, looks like the Lions made one taking CR No. 2 and giving him all that cheese. Through no fault of their own mind you. It's tough to call a guy a bust when he suffers the same season-ending injury twice. If Rogers has the year he started to have two seasons ago, we're not talking about a bust. We're talking about a good young receiver getting suspended. This one just hasn't played at all.

Charles (N.Y.): Everyone talks about how great Tom Brady is at the end of the game. And I would be foolish to say he isn't good. But like Joe Montana? The main difference for me is that I cannot recall the last time Brady led his team to a winning touchdown. Plenty of field goals, but no touchdowns. To call him the best because he can drive a team 40 - 45 yards to get in range fot the best kicker in the NFL (maybe ever) is not as prolific as the touchdown drives Montana engineered in San Fransisco and in Kansas City as well. Tom Brady is like a Yankees pitcher. Sure there have been good ones. But all you have to do is pitch 7 or 8 good innings because you know you have Mariano Rivera to finish the job. How great would people consider Brady if Vinateri (however you spell his name) couldn't kick in the snow, didn't have 50 yard power and accuracy, or simply crumbled under pressure just like most kickers do. 44 yards in 2 minutes is nice, but let me see Brady go 65 - 80 yards to win a game a couple of times then I might be able to make the stretch to Montana.

Michael Smith: Excellent point. No lie I was thinking the same thing the other day, and everybody knows I love Tom Brady. But when you've only got to get in position to kick a 48 yarder it certainly makes your job easier. Vinatieri and Brady should go into the Hall of Fame together. But the bottom line is Brady does what he has to do. Therein lies his greatness. I do believe he needed to score a touchdown he would. Vinatieri has kicked a bunch of short field goals, too, to complete comebacks. But again, good observation.

John (Oakland): I keep telling my co-workers that Da Raiders are going to the Playoffs, and have a good shot to make the Super Bowl next year. What do you think?

Michael Smith: I picked the Raiders to win their division, and when they started 0-3 I was like Ron Burgundy -- "I immediately regret this decision." But they're in every game. I don't see playoff this year or SB next year for that matter but they will be a factor in the division before it's over, even if it's as spoilers. SD and Denver look too strong. Their probably two of the top 7 times in football right now.

Ted (mass): is this the beginning of the end of the patriots? or are they going to pull back and be on top once more?

Michael Smith: Persistent, aren't you Ted? I don't think it's the beginning of the end. The Patriots' aren't going to win the Super Bowl every year and they know that. They're built to compete for the playoffs every year, and I think you can still count on them making it this year. They're not dominant, but they can still win. They're going to have years like this. But they're built for the long haul, not to win one year and go 6-10 the next. This year, they just don't have the players to be dominant. Goes to show that genius needs company, as in a scheme is only as good as the players executing it.

Brian (Chicago): Who do you think are the real Bears? Weeks 1/3 or week 2? And don't say "somewhere between!"

Michael Smith: Somewhere in between! C'mon. You know the Bears aren't good for 38 points too often. Orton will have his struggles. The defense will be there. They'll be able to run if they're in the games. I'm not looking at their schedule right now but I'd say they've got a team that can go 8-8 and, yes, that might be good enough. Then again we said the same about the NFC West last year and Seattle took it with nine.

Sammy (West Chester): Eagles are getting smashed with key injuries. do you think their NFC reign is over. They did struggle for their last two victories

Michael Smith: Just so long as 5 is throwing to T.O. I'm not counting that club out, although if I had to call the NFC champion right now I'd pick Atlanta. That team is really clicking right now. They're running on defenses like they're the University of Nebraska. And that defense really gets after it. I like what they've got going down there. If they take down New England they're confidence is going to be really high, as it should be.

J.R. (NYC): Pretenders or contenders; Giants, 'Skins, Cowboys? And what do you think of Eli, can he be as good as Peyton?

Michael Smith: Giants: Pretenders -- haven't seen them beat anybody good. Skins: Contenders -- they play great defense, and all they needed last year was a little more from the o. They're getting that this year. Cowboys: Pretenders -- defense is going to take some time. Eeeeew. Eli as good as Peyton? Put it this way. There haven't been many QBs in NFL history who have been as good as Peyton. Eli is going to be really good, but two-time MVP? For one he doesn't have Harrison and James. But Eli will be good. I beat him in high school, you know.

Mat (Scottsdale, AZ): Yo Michael - How do you see the BBD/New Edition Backfield playing out in Miami, all Ricky and Ronnie need are Mike, Ralph and Johnny...well Bobby too and NE is BACK! And if they don't play Telephone Man over the loudspeaker when one of them scores a TD...that will be a travishamockery.

Michael Smith: Clever. Ricky is the better back right now, and if the Dolphins are bringing Ronnie off the bench, defenses won't get a break. That's less for Gus F. to do. I know someone is wondering how far the Dolphins can go. I'm going to say 8, 9 wins with the way the division looks now but not playoffs. The wild cards are coming from the north and west, and Pats still win east.

Daniel (Greenville, NC): Who is your first quarter MVP?

Michael Smith: McNabb. He's unbelievable. Palmer is a close second.

Jim (Cleveland via the 'Burgh): How about the San Diego vs. Pittsburgh matchup monday? I think the Chargers are ready for a let down. Tomlinson is a great back, no doubt, but I don't think he will have his way with the Defense. Can Pittsburgh stun them in their own backyard Monday?

Michael Smith: Tough to pick against the Chargers with the way they're playing, but I've got the Steelers in this one. San Diego has been able to go off because LT is getting off. Steelers don't let anybody run on them, and it'll be interesting to see how Brees does against Pittsburgh's pressure. But I love what Brees and the Bolts have done the last two weeks. Steelers will be better Sunday, though. Then again, I'm the same guy who predicted Tenn would upset Indy Sunday. Just wanted to put that out there.

James (orlando): Michael, you see the Colts being 7-0 going into NE?

Michael Smith: Yup. And they might actually win in NE this time.

Noah (Hope NJ): The packers are a major disapointment. Is it about time to exit Favre and enter Rodgers in the name of the future

Michael Smith: That's blasphemous. Favre looks just fine to me. You can't tank the season, even though theyr'e not going anywhere. At the very least you can enjoy watching No. 4 for one more year before things really get bad.

John (Morgantown, WV): Michael, what's up with my boy Pacman? Is he just going through the usual rookie adjustment period, or is he not as good as everybody thought?

Michael Smith: Did he have a bad day Sunday or what? Never met him but he seems like a rookie who thinks he's better than he is right now. He's obviously talented. Just makes poor decisions. Like that taunting call he got. I hate it when guys get flagged for taunting. It's the dumbest penalty you can incur, especially when you're a rookie who hasn't done jack.

JJ (eastwood high School): are the panthers for real and can steve smith play well evey week

Michael Smith: I still like the Panthers but that division looks really hard with ATL and TB looking good. Smith is a really good receiver. Amazing that he's doing it pretty much on his own. They've got to get it together on defense, though. You'd like to think they know how to play without Jenkins. Peppers came on later in the year last year, too, so maybe he has a repeat.

Don Bolling AFB , DC: My comment is why do al the experts pick against the Broncos every week? Out of a possible 45 votes the past 3 weeks 3 were for the Broncos and 42 against. Doesn't people in football realize Mike Shanahan is a great coach and is in every game with the exception of Colts games and makes sure they have a chance to win?

Michael Smith: I think it's because of who the quarterback is. You always expect him to screw it up sooner or later. Thing is, he hasn't done that lately. Plummer's playing well. I really like that team right now. They're right there with the best teams in the conference, I think.

Lindsey (SC): How has the Saint's running game improved. Hasslett sounded like he wanted to run over everyone before the season started, but hasn't really been happening yet. What gives?

Michael Smith: Falling behind early because they decide to get cute on kickoff returns. Only time you can pound the ball between the tackles is if its actually a game. In their losses the Saints fell behind quickly, meaning they had to go to the passing game. When they're in control they can impose their will. I thought they ran it well againt Buffalo, although that isn't difficult to do these days.

Paul (New Orleans, La.): Are the Saints a good team? I can never tell.

Michael Smith: You and everyone else.

Chris (CT): I'm sorry, did you say you beat Eli in high school? Do you mean physically beat, or on the gridiron?

Michael Smith: On the gridiron. Look it up. 1996, McDonough 35 at Newman. Final: 8-7. My one and only athletic clame to fame. I was so good that my freshman year in college I got a head start on my journalism career. I'm making about as much money as Eli does -- in a day!

Sam (Brooklyn, NY): If the have the opportunity, do you think the Jets would draft a guy like Leinartor Vince Young? Or are they still banking on Pennington being their QB for the foreseable future?

Michael Smith: If Pennington can play, and that's a big if, I think he's their quarterback though probably on a restructured contract. They've had success with him. But I think they look at taking a quarterback in the middle rounds.

Jack (New York): Hey Michael. I read your story on Rivers. Any chance we see him in a Jet uniform next year?

Michael Smith: Honestly, I think the Chargers keep him and deal Brees. I doubt A.J. Smith took him fourth overall to see him play for another team. My gut feeling is they'll deal Brees in the offseason.

Rob (Kitchner): Should the Eagles pay for Westbrook?

Michael Smith: Absolutely. Show him the money. He's the truth.

Jeff (NYC): I gather you are a packers fan. Favre is still good, put the pack is not. It is getting time to do something. Bring in quality or rebuild

Michael Smith: No I'm a Favre fan. They're in rebuilding mode whether they thought they'd be or not.

Michael Overman (Deland, FL): Michael, what a great addition you have been to ESPN. You have quite a following amongst my peers. What is your take on the Falcons game this week? Will they rise to the challenge or let Bellicheck outsmart them?

Michael Smith: Thanks for the kind words. I've got the Falcons this week. They play very well at home and NE looked weak againt the run last week. ATL looks like they're putting it all together. They win by 4.

Eric (Cincy): Michael... Do the Bengals start 5-0 in J'ville this weekend

Michael Smith: Why not? If the Bengals, with their beat up o-line, can protect Palmer he should have a good game. I don't think Jax can put up more than 17 against Cincy.

Sean (Charlottesville Va): Who is the best backup right now, Rivers, Schaub, Volek?

Michael Smith: I'm going to say Volek because of what he did last year. Haven't seen enough of Schaub in the reg season and none of Rivers.

Nick (Little Rock): Such a sucker. Someone kisses your a$$ and of course you answer their question.

Michael Smith: That was whack, wasn't it?

Renegade (Austin): Greatest trio of all time? Aikman, Smith and Irving.......

Michael Smith: Yup because they won. Kelly, Thomas, and Reed didn't win the big one and Peyton, James, and Harrison haven't -- yet. Bradshaw was only great in Super Bowls. Montana-Rice-Craig wasn't bad back in the day. I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot of trios, but the Big Three in Big D were my favorite.

PA (Chicago): McMahon Gault Payton?

Michael Smith: On Tecmo Bowl maybe.

Gregg (State College, PA): Hi Michael, question about what you said a couple of comments ago: How do you expect the Chargers to deal Brees when he's not under contract? The only way they could do that and get good value would be to franchise him (I expect they put his value above "transition" player), but do you think any other team would be willing to part with multiple first round draft picks to get him? That's really asking a lot, particularly for a struggling franchise that would need those picks to rebuild.

Michael Smith: I should clarify that. The only way a team gives up two first-rounders is if they trade for the player while he is under contract on the franchise tender. The NFL has sort of sign-and-trades. I was covering the Patriots when they did it with Tebucky Jones and New Orleans. You franchise a guy, sign him to a contract and you have a small window or some rule that allows you to deal him for whatever you want. Pats got mid, low rd picks. You franchise him just to keep him off the open market. Somebody come up with another franchise player who was traded. I know there's been more than Tebucky Jones.

R.Keane (Old Southington, CT): Hi Michael....what's up with Texas? Domanick Davis is non-existent, Andre Johnson...who?, and David Carr....yikes. Three pieces that were on their game last year, no where to be found this year.

Michael Smith: Carr's protection seems to have gotten worse, although the offense made some strides against Cincy but imploded in that fourth quarter when Carr went down four times. I think they'll be better than those guys will get theirs. They certainly can't get much worse.

Chady, Charleston: Hey Mike, what do you think about Alex Smith starting this Sunday against the Colts? Will he gain anything by playing a tough defense or will it hurt him in the long run?

Michael Smith: He's gotta play sooner or later. Doesn't matter. He'll learn, that's for sure. He'll learn how to pick himself up after Freeney sacks him four times.

matt (spokane, wa): Didn't Buffalo franchise Peerless Price before trading him?

Michael Smith: I think so. And they got only one first rounder for him from Atlanta.

Reston Va: Not sure you've been following the Lavarr Arrington situation but if so do you think that this is last year as a redskin regardless of cap implications?

Michael Smith: I'd have to imagine so. He's -- what? -- the fifth linebacker right now. They can't pay him big money next year and I can't imagine him wanting to sit on the bench. Sad story.

Michael Smith: Well guys, that's my time. Gotta get to work. As always, I've enjoyed it. And again, I apologize for not answering everyone's questions. Thanks so much for taking time out of your days to chat with me. Peace.

J.R. (NYC)

MICHAEL SMITH

I'm speechless :thud:

Archived