Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need better RUN BLOCKING, not from just our front line.

coldpack

I'll have to admit, we've taken big strides to improve our run blocking from our TEs and FBs compared to the Dallas game (which was HORRID). Portis is very anxious to go for some big runs, as we all are. However, looking back at the highlight vids, our WRs look very lazy at their blocking assignments. I saw several plays where Patten and Moss let go of their assignments, but if they DIDN'T, Portis was just that 1 block away from a huge gain. Does anyone else see this?

What's going to improve our run game is not the blocking. When teams are putting 7 or more in the box, Portis can't get free. When teams begin to respect our ability to throw the ball, then teams will have to keep their safety back, and we can start running with Portis and playactions will be even stronger.

All I remember is Santana dropping the Blam-Blama on that Seahawk bama during a Cooley catch and run. I would like to think that Patten knows what it takes for the whole team to succeed, based upon his time with the Pats, but I don't necessarily expect the same from Santana. At the same time, we need both of them blocking like Thrash out there; however, if all we have to worry about is Santana and Patten blocking at the third level then we're already in a great position. I believe we still need to sharpen up our run blocking from the line. We still are not producing the way we should.

Wouldn't we all just love to see CP have a game against the Broncos this weekend like he had for them two years ago against KC?!!

GO 'SKINS

What's going to improve our run game is not the blocking. When teams are putting 7 or more in the box, Portis can't get free.

Are you still thinking about the Dallas game? Just for a refresher, this Seattle we just played. They respected our pass for the most part. Portis had HUGE holes. He could have broke out for MUCH more yards. Yes, sometimes he got stuck running downhill, but they DID respect our passing game

I'll have to admit, we've taken big strides to improve our run blocking from our TEs and FBs compared to the Dallas game (which was HORRID). Portis is very anxious to go for some big runs, as we all are. However, looking back at the highlight vids, our WRs look very lazy at their blocking assignments. I saw several plays where Patten and Moss let go of their assignments, but if they DIDN'T, Portis was just that 1 block away from a huge gain. Does anyone else see this?

Which runs are you speaking of so I can take a better look?

'pack

I agree with you but my concern is Cooley's blocking. He patted himself on the back for his blocking in camp ("my blocking now is awesome"), but it seems now he can't hold a block on the edge (not to mention he got beat in pass blocking in Dallas for a sack which I think Gibbs considered one of the 2 "scheme" sacks).

Kozlowski is on the roster but I think he's backup TE (behind Royal) while Sellers is the backup H back. Koz can block but I think, like Sellers, he isn't enough of a threat in the passing game to play regularly. Cooley, and the WRs, will have to be "coached" through this. I hope Portis gives them an earful as well.

Archived