Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where's the screen?

Neophyte

I am certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and complain about being 3-0. The defense is looking as good as always and the offense is coming together. I just have one question. During the pre-season we saw a good bit of the screen pass and it was always effective. Whether against first, second or scrub defense, it always went for good yardage. Many of us commented on it and were excited about it. We were even more excited by the prospect of seeing it run with one Mr Clinton Portis which did not happen in the pre-season. So my question now is, where is it? Why have we not seen it?

I don't understand it myself. Teams that play us love to bring the blitz, you would think that the screen was a much bigger part of our offense than it currently is. We had on that play a couple of times in preseason but since the start of the regular season I've only seen it once or twice.

The only screens we should do is to Portis, WR screens are no longer good

I would argue that they are. These screens serve to pull the DB's up into tighter coverage for fear of giving up the 5 to 10 yard gainer on a consistent basis. Once they are up on the WR, that gives our guys a better chance to use that speed Gibbs wanted so badly to run right by them. There are not a lot of DB's in this league who can stay with Moss and Patten which means that to play some type of press coverage the defense has to give them help over the top which then pulls a man out of box to defend Portis. Everything works together.

I just don't get why we are not running the sceen against the blitz. Seemed to work well in pre-season.

I am baffled at this myself. The screen pass was in Joe Gibbs playbook back in the day...no clue as to why we don't run it these days....Always a good play to call against aggressive defenses no matter who your RB is and when you have a playmaker such as Portis....Hmmm.....catching the ball in open space...linemen leading the way.....aggressive defense out of position....on paper it looks good....guess we will never know if never try...

I think it has to do with the way teams are covering us. With safeties sneaking up into the box to stop the run, they are already in a better position to stop the screen pass unless the safeties actually blitz.

I do think the Seattle defense was looking to stopping Clinton; so a screen to Clinton may not work if they had a LB keying on him.

Plus the screen is mostly used to counter when the defense is getting pressure on the QB; but our OL is doing a good job of providing pass protection.

Third the passing downfield is working well; so again it is not needed.

That being said; If defenses start to focus on stopping our passing game then I do think we will see some screens and they would work well.

Maybe Gibbs is letting teams forget about it and then POW; we do the screen in a big game when we need it the most. Just like ST being out there in the first game down in the RZ. Maybe he just wanted to give Dallas something to think about and game plan for something that we won't even do. Who knows… Maybe we will never see that again for the rest of the season and maybe it will be ST that catches the game wining TD in the SB.

:1stplace:

Archived