Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salary Cap in 2003?

NVskinsfan

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

What about Stubblefield? Don't we take a hit for that too?

No! because we ate that this year as well as Deion...Peion or whatever!

Granted we will eat Marco and Greer next year, but

Financially we should be in pretty good shape.

Input is always appreciated.

Originally posted by caskinzfan

No! because we ate that this year as well as Deion...Peion or whatever!

Granted we will eat Marco and Greer next year, but

Financially we should be in pretty good shape.

Input is always appreciated.

OOPPPPPS!

Greer wasn't even signed to big money...hell he was supposed to challenge for a starting posiiton, but couldn't overcome the ageless DG.

We know that next year we'll ahve to deal with M.Coleman's cap hit of $3-$3.5mil. That's okay.

But we won't be able to difer the cap hit of S.Davis until 2004. If he wont' do a new contract before March 1, we'll have to cut him on March 1, and take a $5-6 mil cap hit that year, in 2003. So it will be just like Deion all over again.

We also have to deal with the retirement of B.Smith and D.Green. If memory serves me correctly, D.Green received a $2 mil bonus 3 years ago, so he won't count for much. But B.smith had a $4.5 mil bonus, and I believe he redid his contract once, pushing much of his salary into additional bonus.

Thus, I imagine we'll "ask" one player to retire before June 1st (thus taking the hit in 2003) and the other to retire after June 1st (taking it in 2004.)

The only other cap hit we might have to take next year are any performance incentives reached by players with those kind of conracts (like Gardner).

All I know is that B.Smith signing bonus pro-ration will be much less (1.7 mill) then he's being paid this season (4.35 Mill). So, yes, it'll be "dead" money, but Cap relief will also be felt. Greer's hit was minimal. Less then $100,000 I think. Coleman + B. Smith + D.Green (800,000 pro-ration, which is 460,000 less then his cap # this season, but only $600,000 less then keeping him another year) is far less then this years dead cap space. $6 million or so...

Actually, I think we are saddled with about $13 million of dead cap space this year.

Also, B.Smith will count more than $1.7 mil against the cap. Aside from having to take a hit on the remaining portion of his $4.5 mil bonus (I assume we still owe 60% of this against the cap), I beleive he also converted all of last year's salary ($3mil or so) into a second bonus .... So add another $2-$2.5mil to the cap hit we take next year.

Archived