Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historical Perspectives Please?

Fergasun

Look what I found searching through the old 'Skins newsgroup on Google.

Gus was handed the job not because he had more talent, but because Norv took the minimalist approacht that he wanted a QB who wouldn't make the big mistake. Those of us who were really paying attention realized that while Gus had that quality at the beginning of the year, what he really lacked was the ability to make the big play.

When we went 7-1, it was because Gus DIDN'T make any big mistakes - or any big plays - he just handed to Terry, and the defense stopped bad teams from scoring touchdowns. But to be better than a .500 teama, the offense has to step up on days when the defense is playing poorly (and vice versa). But Gus can't do that, he can only not make big mistakes. He can't win games; he can only prevent from losing them.

Having said that, Gus didn't even do that the past few weeks. He's been miserable, which is what happens when a mediocre QB is put with a team with a collapsing OLine and a defense that won't tackle. To top it off, Gus did make the crucial mistake this week - he fumbled the snap that cost us a TD. (And don't give me any crap about how the refs stole it from us. When you make that lame a play, you don't get the benefit of the doubt on the call.)

Norv said at the beginning of the year that he wanted the QB who would let the rest of the team when games. He got it. Too bad he didn't go with the QB who is actually capable of winning games himself.

Heath is going to go to pro-bowls, and maybe even super bowls. he will win more playoff games than Gus. It's too bad he's going to do it in KC and not here. (my prediction...we'll get a 1st and 3rd pick as compensation. See what happens to them and decide for yourself if it was smart to let heath go.)

:laugh::doh:

Rypien got the job when Williams got injured, he played pretty well but Williams was still considered the starter. Rypien had a serious fumbling proble, he looked like he juggling a hot potato sometimes.

In 1989, Williams got nicked before the season started so Ryp started, after a few more fumbling problems Williams was let back in for a few games but it was clear he had lost an edge a bit plus I think he may have gotten hurt again, Ryp came in and hung onto the job.

In 1990, Ryp got injured and Humperies took over the start, he (Humperies, who was highly rated by many) played well at first but then the mental errors crept in and Jeff Rutledge came in and took over (remember the comeback in Detriot!!) until Ryp returned. Ryp came back and stayed the starter and was pretty much perfect the following year.

Moral, if there is any - You have to be thick skinned in the NFL, the coach is just trying to win, it's not personel, his job is on the line as much as the QB he is yanking but if you work hard at your game and are provided with another chance, you will keep playing if you cut out the mistakes and show improvement.

Rypien got the job when Williams got injured, he played pretty well but Williams was still considered the starter. Rypien had a serious fumbling proble, he looked like he juggling a hot potato sometimes.

In 1989, Williams got nicked before the season started so Ryp started, after a few more fumbling problems Williams was let back in for a few games but it was clear he had lost an edge a bit plus I think he may have gotten hurt again, Ryp came in and hung onto the job.

In 1990, ryp got injured and Humperies took over the start, he played well at first but then the mental errors crept in and Jeff Rutledge came in and took over (remember the comeback in Detriot!!) until Ryp returned. Ryp came back and stayed the starter and was pretty much perfect the following year.

Moral, if there is any - You have to be thick skinned in the NFL, the coach is just trying to win, it's not personel, his job is on the line as much as the QB he is yacking but if you work hard at your game and are provided with another chance, you will keep playing if you cut out the mistakes and show improvement.

Nice post!

Well, Ryp and Humperies are basically two of the possible ends for Ramsey out of this situation (there are more of course)........one being he sits, learns, works hard and takes his chance and shows he has learned if called upon again..........one being he goes to another team and has success there (Humperies in San Deigo).

Yes, I find it interesting, for several reasons.

1) I was a member of that NG from 1999 through last year, and I finally left and came here. Same handle. I recognize that Jim Carr guy, he was still there last year.

2) It's cool that you can post in a NG, and the post stays there indefinitely, forever, for anybody to read at any time in the future, until eternity.

3) Russel's post makes some interesting points, until you see what actually happened. Heath didn't do squat. At least Gus is still playing. But I don't really see an analogy with regard to the present situation. Maybe you do?

It just seems Norv did the right thing, contrary to what Russel thought was correct. Norv put the guy in that has less of an arm, but would make less mistakes, and would therefore ultimately win more games. It didn't pan out that way. But I'd say that was less of Gus's fault, and more of Norv's fault, since Norv, although a great OC, is a lousy HC.

And Gibbs is also doing the right thing by putting in less-of-an-arm and less-mistakes Brunell.

Is that it?

Mark,

Sorry, I don't have any twinkies or prizes for you. I should've bolded the part that I laughed and slapped my head at.

Norv said at the beginning of the year that he wanted the QB who would let the rest of the team when games. He got it. Too bad he didn't go with the QB who is actually capable of winning games himself.

Heath is going to go to pro-bowls, and maybe even super bowls. he will win more playoff games than Gus. It's too bad he's going to do it in KC and not here. (my prediction...we'll get a 1st and 3rd pick as compensation. See what happens to them and decide for yourself if it was smart to let heath go.)

That's like some mutation of the "We're getting a first for Gardner...", "Ramsey is the next Brett Farve...", and "I know more about football than Gibbs...".

Mark,

Sorry, I don't have any twinkies or prizes for you. I should've bolded the part that I laughed and slapped my head at.

That's like some mutation of the "We're getting a first for Gardner...", "Ramsey is the next Brett Farve...", and "I know more about football than Gibbs...".

lol idiotic comments in that NG are a dime a dozen. Trust me.

Archived