Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another former Cowboy in trouble...

Thursday, July 25, 2002

Troubled former football star accused in rampage at brother's home

MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. Copyright 2002 The Associated Press - Former NFL defensive lineman Alonzo Spellman, was arrested late Tuesday night on charges of ransacking his brother's house, breaking windows and smashing pictures.

The arrest in his hometown is the latest in a string of legal and personal problems for the former Ohio State star. He was released in October by the Detroit Lions, apparently ending an NFL career that began in 1992 with the Chicago Bears, who made him their first-round draft choice that year.

Spellman was in Mount Holly after failing to appear in court Tuesday in Dearborn, Mich. after being arrested July 16 on charges of drunken driving, driving with a suspended license and destroying property.

On July 19, he was spotted wandering through traffic in Farmington Hills, Mich., dragging luggage behind him and saying he wanted to go to Las Vegas. He got a ride from there to downtown Detroit on Friday, where he was seen boarding a Greyhound bus.

Philadelphia police said he had an argument aboard a Detroit-to-Philadelphia flight that day. He has not been charged in that case.

Spellman played at Ohio State and in Chicago for six seasons before taking a year off to seek treatment for bipolar disorder.

He returned to play two seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and part of last year with Detroit.

On Tuesday night, authorities said, Spellman went to the home of his brother John and tore the screen door off its hinges, beginning a 15-minute rampage. The brother was not home at the time.

Three people in the house were not injured. Police were called and found Spellman sitting on a curb outside screaming.

Spellman was charged with making terrorist threats, criminal mischief and hindering apprehension.

Police said he was taken to the psychiatric ward at Lourdes Health System-Rancocas Hospital in Willingboro. A hospital spokeswoman said confidentiality guidelines prevented her from confirming whether Spellman was there.

In March 1998, Spellman was treated in the psychiatric unit of a Chicago hospital after an eight-hour standoff with police. Two months later, he scuffled with security workers at a Detroit hotel while he was trying to break up a fight between two women accompanying him.

Slightly edited, here's a story from Steve Martin's "Cruel Shoes":

Dallas Cowboys in Trouble

These were not the average "contented" Dallas Cowboys. They were Cowboys born for trouble. They were not Cowboys who could stand by and let people call them "bossy." They were Cowboys who could not hang around all day lowing. They were Cowboys who could be just as happy chewing someone else's cud as their own. These were renegade Cowboys.

My first experience with the renegade Cowboys began one day as I was admiring a particularly attractive Cowboy cheerleader at Johnson's Weed Farm. As I stood there watching her sultry body moving lithely through the rushes, I noticed several Cowboys staring at me through the weeds, giving me that look that only a Cowboy can give.

Later that night, I was at home thinking over the day's events. The Rubber Duck Throwing Contest, the parade that followed: bands and floats and baton-tossing girls all marching down the middle of the Missouri River. I should have been analyzing the glare of those Cowboys I'd seen earlier that day.

The doorbell rang. I opened the door, glad to have a visitor, but found myself face to face with three renegade Cowboys. I could not see their eyes behind the dark glasses.

They ambled in and I did not try to stop them.

That night they just stood around my bed and watched me sleep, much the way my potatoes do, and I guess you might say I learned my lesson: Don't fool with renegade Cowboys.

give it a rest....you are grasping at straws..there is different angles to look at it...at least the cowboys tried to help a human being put his life back in order....he was also a former bears players.....

Archived