Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nice article about our "D"

With Lewis, 'Skins' D can't be overlooked

By Vic Carucci

NFL Insider

Vic Carucci, national editor for NFL Insider magazine, has begun his annual tour of NFL training camps for NFL.com. This installment of Camp Carucci comes from Carlisle, Pennsylvania, where the Washington Redskins opened training camp on July 22.

CARLISLE, Pa. (July 24, 2002) -- Offense commands most of the attention on the new-look Washington Redskins.

But the arrival of coach Steve Spurrier and his pass-happy attack aren't all that fuel the Redskins' hopes of escaping mediocrity.

The addition of former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis as assistant head coach/defensive coordinator is another major reason for the rampant optimism surrounding the club at its Dickinson College training camp. With key free-agent signings joining an already solid defense, the Redskins are looking for Lewis to build a dominant unit like the one he put together only 50 miles down the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. That's why team owner Daniel Snyder made him the highest-paid assistant coach in NFL history, after making Spurrier the highest-paid head coach the league has ever seen.

"With the defense we have here," Redskins quarterback Shane Matthews said, "if we can put anywhere from twenty-one to twenty-four points on the board, we're going to win a lot of games."

Lewis was impressed with the pride the Redskins' defense displayed in helping the team rebound from a 0-5 start last season to finish 8-8. After allowing an average of 34 points per game through the first four games, the Redskins gave up an average of 14 points per game through the final 12.

"So we're trying to build back to that point and then go beyond by refining some little things and eliminating some explosive plays," Lewis said. "I think we want to be aggressive. We've got to stop people from being able to run the football up and down the field on you. You want to be aggressive and knock the hell out of the football and knock the hell out of the quarterback."

Besides landing one of the NFL's most respected defensive minds, the Redskins further bolstered their defense with the free-agent acquisitions of middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter from the Philadelphia Eagles, outside linebacker Jessie Armstead from the New York Giants, defensive tackle Santana Dotson from the Green Bay Packers, and defensive end Renaldo Wynn from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The greatest impact is expected to come from Trotter, who has made the last two Pro Bowls and was voted defensive MVP by his former Eagle teammates last year, and Armstead, a 10-year veteran who brings strong leadership. Both are convinced that Lewis has the ability and the material to do for the Redskins' defense what he did for the defense that helped carry the Ravens to a Super Bowl victory two seasons ago.

"You have a guy that's been there, done that," Trotter said. "He's been around great talent and he's coming into another situation where he has great talent. And with the talent he has, he's able to do a lot of different things."

"He totally shut down our offense when we played against him in the Super Bowl," said Armstead. "He just puts you in the best position to win your one-on-one battles. That's what you've got to do in this defense. He'll put you in a situation where you won't have two people on you, but you've got to win that battle."

In the wake of last year's breakout season by young outside linebacker LaVar Arrington, the Redskins could very well have one of the best linebacking corps in the NFL.

"I'm excited about playing in this defense because it's built around the linebackers," Trotter said. "They went out and got some linebackers to play alongside LaVar. We're excited. It's going to be a fun season to watch."

With Lewis' reputation for frequently allowing his outside linebackers to go after the quarterback, Arrington, who had only a half-sack last season, is expected to be a greater force as a pass rusher.

Trotter gives the Redskins a much stronger presence against the run, where they ranked 20th in the league last season. He believes he will have a greater opportunity to show his athleticism in Lewis' scheme.

"I think in (the Eagles') defense I was asked to just go downhill and just be a downhill, physical linebacker, when there's more to my game than just that," Trotter said. "I'm a big linebacker (6-foot-1 and 262 pounds) that can run sideline to sideline and make plays in the passing game. And in this defense, he allows me to do that."

"We have a lot of talented guys with physical ability, mental ability," Lewis said. "We've got guys that can cover on the outside (starting cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot, and veteran reserve Darrell Green). We've got some tremendous rushers. And we're going to learn how to stay on our feet and defend the run. And we're going to be a great tackling team. We're going to work very, very hard at tackling."

"I can tell you one thing," Redskins wide receiver Reidel Anthony said. "Once the new (NFL) video game comes out, I'm definitely playing with the Redskins, because you win championships with defense."

Given that the Redskins have yet to determine their starting quarterback and that it could take a while for them to make Spurrier's "Fun 'N Gun" offense thrive as well in the NFL as it did at the University of Florida, their defense might very well have to carry the load this season.

"We have no problem with that," Trotter said. "Offense sells tickets and defense wins championships. When I came to Washington, they already had a great defense. They made some additions with me and Jessie and guys like that just to make the defense better. And we're ready."

http://www.nfl.com/ce/feature/0,3783,5548541,00.html

"So we're trying to build back to that point and then go beyond by refining some little things and eliminating some explosive plays," Lewis said. "I think we want to be aggressive. We've got to stop people from being able to run the football up and down the field on you. You want to be aggressive and knock the hell out of the football and knock the hell out of the quarterback."

"We have a lot of talented guys with physical ability, mental ability," Lewis said. "We've got guys that can cover on the outside (starting cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot, and veteran reserve Darrell Green). We've got some tremendous rushers. And we're going to learn how to stay on our feet and defend the run. And we're going to be a great tackling team. We're going to work very, very hard at tackling."

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

"I can tell you one thing," Redskins wide receiver Reidel Anthony said. "Once the new (NFL) video game comes out, I'm definitely playing with the Redskins, because you win championships with defense."

I think the defense will be just as exciting in real life considering we have three corners and 3 linebackers that can take turnovers to the house.

This is going to be a great season for me, I enjoy defense more then watching a good offense. I can't wait for this defense to work Mike Martz and his offense over that will be a spectacular game Nov 24 at the big Jack (just can't bring myself to call it fedex)

Archived