Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bears Media Conference Call

TK

SEPTEMBER 7, 2005

CHICAGO BEARS QB KYLE ORTON

On his thoughts about making his first NFL start:

"I am excited obviously. It’s a pretty good way to do it to go and play a good defense in a hostile environment like it is going to be. It is going to be a big test."

On the challenge he faces in going against such a good defense:

"It’s a challenge for the entire offense. We definitely have to execute our plays. I’m sure we are going to see a little bit more than most quarterbacks with this being my first start. We just have to execute our game plan."

On how surprised he is to be in this position and if he expected to be starting the opener:

"No, not the opener, especially coming in as the fourth round draft pick. A lot of things had to happen and they did. Like I said I am real excited and real confident."

On if there is a chip on his shoulder because so many teams passed up on him in the draft:

"I don’t know how much of a chip it is. It’s definitely motivation and definitely made me work hard to get to this point. I am real happy where I am at right now. I love the city, the fans and definitely the organization."

On how much of a distraction it was not having running back Cedric Benson in camp:

"It wasn’t really a distraction for us at all. We were there working hard and he had to get done whatever he had to get done. You can only do that in contract one. That was his decision but it was really not a distraction for the guys who were there."

On what he brings to the table for the Bears:

"I think I have a lot of confidence and a lot of energy. I play with a lot of passion. I think I do see the field really well and I certainly have the arm strength to make all of the throws that we have."

On what he sees when watching the Redskins defense on film:

"A lot of athletes and they make plays. You can tell that they fly at the ball and take chances just to create turnovers and force you into mistakes. It is an extremely good defense."

On what it is like working with WR Muhsin Muhammed:

"Muhsin is a great receiver. He has been one of the best for three years now. He is obviously a Pro Bowl caliber guy and he is our go to guy. He makes a lot of plays for us."

Archived