Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayor Nagin now blaming Governor Blanco

nelms

That is a good point and proven by other storms that hit NO.

So why did they not provision and provide adequate security in the shelters?

Why did they not moniter the levees during flooding stages to provide warning?

Let me guess ...Bush's fault. ;)

Why don't you answer one of my questions, instead of always picking a single thing I say and trying to spin it?

Now these are the questions the local government is supposed to ask and answer before a crisis strikes! Nagin's whole plan was to simply send the stragglers to the SUperdome to ride out the storm, without provisioning the SUperdome in any way -- his announcment infromed citizens to bring their own food, water, and blankets. They didn;t plan around the remaining people, they negligently ignored the problem.

Who negligently ignored the problem? The one who did what he was supposed to, or the one who was on vacation?

Nobody is arguing about this. Also, they discussed relenquishing control of the guards to the president, she refused rightly. If she accepted, she would have been blaimed for not doing it soones. the fact that she did not do it, and troops arrived tells you that Bush did not NEED her premission to bring in the military.

Is anyone else suprised this was finally under control once a general was called in? I'm not.

You do know that the state governors are in essence, the Cmmdr-in Chief of the state respective National Guard, right?

Below is a partial transcript from Cnn.com. The full one is can be found here:

NOTE: this was from a CNN interview with the mayor yesterday. I couldn't find where anyone has posted this yet. He is clearly intimating that the Governor was dragging her feet.

CNN Transcripts

NAGIN: Look, I've gotten promises to -- I can't stand anymore promises. I don't want to hear anymore promises. I want to see stuff done. And that's why I'm so happy that the president came down here, because I think they were feeding him a line of bull also. And they were telling him things weren't as bad as it was.

He came down and saw it, and he put a general on the field. His name is General Honore. And when he hit the field, we started to see action.

And what the state was doing, I don't frigging know. But I tell you, I am pissed. It wasn't adequate.

And then, the president and the governor sat down. We were in Air Force One. I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two have to get in sync. If you don't get in sync, more people are going to die.'

S. O'BRIEN: What date was this? When did you say that? When did you say...

NAGIN: Whenever air Force One was here.

S. O'BRIEN: OK.

NAGIN: And this was after I called him on the telephone two days earlier. And I said, 'Mr. President, Madam Governor, you two need to get together on the same page, because of the lack of coordination, people are dying in my city.'

S. O'BRIEN: That's two days ago.

NAGIN: They both shook -- I don't know the exact date. They both shook their head and said yes. I said, 'Great.' I said, 'Everybody in this room is getting ready to leave.' There was senators and his cabinet people, you name it, they were there. Generals. I said, 'Everybody right now, we're leaving. These two people need to sit in a room together and make a doggone decision right now.'

S. O'BRIEN: And was that done?

NAGIN: The president looked at me. I think he was a little surprised. He said, "No, you guys stay here. We're going to another section of the plane, and we're going to make a decision."

He called me in that office after that. And he said, "Mr. Mayor, I offered two options to the governor." I said -- and I don't remember exactly what. There were two options. I was ready to move today. The governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision.

S. O'BRIEN: You're telling me the president told you the governor said she needed 24 hours to make a decision?

NAGIN: Yes.

S. O'BRIEN: Regarding what? Bringing troops in?

NAGIN: Whatever they had discussed. As far as what the -- I was abdicating a clear chain of command, so that we could get resources flowing in the right places.

S. O'BRIEN: And the governor said no.

NAGIN: She said that she needed 24 hours to make a decision. It would have been great if we could of left Air Force One, walked outside, and told the world that we had this all worked out. It didn't happen, and more people died.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

What a douche. The people of New Orleans that elected this clown must be so proud.

"It's everyone's fault but my own"

You do know that the state governors are in essence, the Cmmdr-in Chief of the state respective National Guard, right?

Excellent point. I was wondering when someone that doesn't believe the fed should control every aspect of our nation would pipe in. I'm on board with Sarge on this one, to an extent. :applause:

Well, it is called politics, welcome to the world of it. That's how it works behind the scenes.

You missed my point. I didn't say the politics of it was dumb. I said what you posted was dumb.

Here's your take on it again:

"Nobody is arguing about this. Also, they discussed relenquishing control of the guards to the president, she refused rightly. If she accepted, she would have been blaimed for not doing it soones. the fact that she did not do it, and troops arrived tells you that Bush did not NEED her premission to bring in the military."

So, in essence, what you are saying is she was correct in refusing federal assistance because she would have been blamed for not doing it sooner if she accepted. WTF? Are you freakin' serious? I tell you, left wing wackos never cease to amaze me.

You missed my point. I didn't say the politics of it was dumb. I said what you posted was dumb.

Here's your take on it again:

"Nobody is arguing about this. Also, they discussed relenquishing control of the guards to the president, she refused rightly. If she accepted, she would have been blaimed for not doing it soones. the fact that she did not do it, and troops arrived tells you that Bush did not NEED her premission to bring in the military."

So, in essence, what you are saying is she was correct in refusing federal assistance because she would have been blamed for not doing it sooner if she accepted. WTF? Are you freakin' serious? I tell you, left wing wackos never cease to amaze me.

What's even more amazing is that you qoute Chom here clearly recognizing that the Governor was, is, and intends to remain in charge of the troops on the ground, but he keeps denying it all over these boards. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between requesting resources which are delivered and handing over control of those resources on the ground. FEMA and DHS employees are on the ground in LA, but they're answering to Blanco, not Bush, Chertof, or Brown.

Last I checked, city planning wasn't an enumerated power of the President -- what Constitution are you reading?

You are still blaiming this on the city. The worst storm in the history of the country and the mayor is to blame. You still think the city, or even the state for that matter with 4000 troops could handle a storm of this magnitude? You really need to examine the magnitude of this calamity if you think this.

So what happened to everyone posting "Hey it's not time to blame people"? I guess that went out the window when you realized the facts surrounding the case, and you saw the pictures of the city drowning while Bush was out playing the guitar and cutting cake.

So when did it become a problem "bigger" then the mayor, or even the governer? Will anyone answer this?

Last I checked, city planning wasn't an enumerated power of the President -- what Constitution are you reading?

Last time I checked, there were over 40,000 troops in La. When does the mayor or state gov. have control of the US military? :doh:

You are arguing that 4000 troops was sufficent to handle this disaster, you realize this right?

What's even more amazing is that you qoute Chom here clearly recognizing that the Governor was, is, and intends to remain in charge of the troops on the ground, but he keeps denying it all over these boards.

Really, can you please show me the piece of documentation which states the the governer of La. has control of FEDERAL troops. I asked you for this already like 10 times and you've come back with absolutely nothing. If you really think this, you need to take Civics all over again, because you haven't a clue as to how state and federal powers are seperated.

In fact, I already gave you proof, I gave you links and I gave you the exact wording and documentation showing what you are saying is not only false, but not even remotely true. The gov. has control of the guard, NOT the military. She had 4000 guard troops, there are 40,000 military on the ground.

So tell me one more time how Blanco is ordering the military troops in, and giving them their SOPs. Tell me one more time how she is the one in charge of the US Military, but offer absolutely no proof, or no links. :doh:

He doesn't seem to understand the difference between requesting resources which are delivered and handing over control of those resources on the ground. FEMA and DHS employees are on the ground in LA, but they're answering to Blanco, not Bush, Chertof, or Brown.

OK, so this rescue operation had nothing to do with FEAM or DHS? They just give her what she needs?

Do you honestly think a Bush policy would relinquish control of the military and give them over to the state governer? Please show me the exact piece of government documentation which states this. I have asked you for it 5 times, and each time you come up empty handed, yet you somehow have the unmittigated gaul toi just say you are correct.

Just because you WANT it to be true doesn't make it so. Just because you WNAT to believe the governer is responsible for US military forces, does not make it true. Please show me the piece of legislation which contradicts the DHS procedure which I posted, otherwise :stfu:

Archived