Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts' Diary

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11050

Ladell Betts Rookie Diary, July 23

07/23/2002

Editor's Note: The Redskins chose running back Ladell Betts in the second round of the 2002 NFL Draft. Betts will compete during training camp to solidify a roster spot. Betts, who led Iowa in rushing all four seasons he played for the Hawkeyes, started 43 of 46 games in his collegiate career. He finished his career at Iowa second on the all-time school rushing list and third in touchdowns. The Redskins announced Tuesday they had completed a contract with Betts.

Betts will log a rookie training camp diary throughout Training Camp 2002 for Redskins.com.

By Ladell Betts

July 23, 2002

I was happy I was able to get my contract done so I could be in training camp on time. That was something that was very important to me. I didn't want to fall behind at all, and being here on time allows me the opportunity to get a jump-start on things.

We had our first practice this morning. Right now I'm looking forward to getting a full understanding of our offense, so I can play a little more naturally. Through the off-season mini-camps and at our first practice this morning, I was running, but I wasn't as fluid and natural as I normally am. I'm still thinking about what I'm doing, which doesn't allow me to let loose as much. It's hard to show your natural ability while you're still learning. Once I get everything down, I think it'll be easier for me.

Whenever you go to something new, there's going to be a learning curve. I went through a similar adjustment at Iowa. It's just something you have to deal with, and hopefully get better over time.

During our first practice this morning, I felt a little shaky out there, a little uncertain. But I'm my own biggest critic. For the most part, I have a decent understanding of what's going on, and I've learned each day through the offseason and into training camp.

I like Dickinson College and Carlisle so far. I played college football in Iowa City, Iowa. That was a small town too, so I'm used to it. This is nothing new to me. I'll put forth my best effort, and try to get better everyday.

Ladell Betts' rookie diary can be found each day of training camp on Redskins.com.

Archived