Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Timeshifting, Fair Use, Distribution and the Internet

Fergasun

Hello, this is my first ExtremeSkins post! I've been lurking around for awhile, couldn't get an account due to the "wall of separation" between Extremeskins and free e-mail accounts. It seems that wall has been broken down by the merger. I've been lurking around for awhile, you guys have been amusing me for quite a few months.

I've been thinking about this in regards to TV shows, TiVo and file sharing.

I'm not going to argue that downloading music or movies you don't own is legal, I think it's clear that it is illegal. But, what about TV shows? It would seem that there is little difference between downloading TV shows or saving them to TiVo. If we are able to use a VCR to timeshift, use TiVo to timeshift, why not use the Internet? I don't know if the argument that someone else is doing the work is valid, as it is legal to download copies of songs/movies that you already own for backup purposes (or is it?).

By extrapolating this to television, it would mean if you buy cable you can download cable shows, and this would make it legal to download any programs shown over the air, because you are merely timeshifting for personal use.

Fergasun

Archived