Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Questions about Saturday's Game:

Mooka

Just got back from a little trip and missed the game on Saturday. From all the Pat threads I've seen I'll gather he didn't look very good. :( Very glad to hear our O-Line was solid though. Can some of you who watched the game answer a few questions:

1. Our starting offense didn't muster a single scoring drive. Did we miss opportunities or was Gibbs keeping it simple?

2. How did Antonio Brown look at WR? Did it seem he can take a hit or did he look too small out there.

3. Did Phillip Daniels look like he was back at full strength?

4. Looks like Jason Campbell had a solid game. What happened when he fumbled? I saw he had a 33 yard completion to Combs. Did Combs just bust one from the flats?

5. On the other side, how did Eric Shelton look for the Panthers? I heard that guy was turning alot of heads in Carolina.

thanks for helping me out. I've been trying to go through the game thread but its way too long.

1) Poor execution from the QB position. Missed throws on third down to open recievers and the like. Also interceptions. There were also issues where the defense kept our recievers on the wrong side of the sticks on third downs.

2) He looked okay. He could run routes and caught things okay. He is no danger of moving ahead of a healthy thrash or jacobs though.

3) The whole defense looked bad, so it's hard to say anything about any individuals.

4) The fumble was a botched handoff. The completion was a screen pass that had AMAZING blocking from some athletic lineman more than 10 yards downfield.

5) didn't pay much attention.

What up Mook!

I am going to have to disagree with Ignatius J here (although I love the name).

The Defense did not look anything close to horrible. Our Run D looked great the entire game. Especially in the first half. We were getting consistant pressure on the QB, especially from CB blitzes but unfortuantely we had some Smoot-esque missed tackles in the backfield from blitzing CBs.

The only negative things I could really say about the D are the following:

It was hard to tell if our D-Line was getting much pressure on the QB

and

Our secondary looked average. BUT, keep in mind that Springs, Hawkins and Rogers didnt play. In fact, we only had 4 CBs active, so they were getting A LOT of work.

Walt Harris definitely did not look like the tackler he has been made out to be. Prielou was all over the field and looked quite good. Sean Taylor was almost invisible.

But like I said, our D was not "bad."

About Antonio Brown, I thought he looked quite good. He caught a couple medium range balls, and one over the middle if I remember correctly. I think his performance was definitely a positive.

Also, Brunell looked very competent. And Nemo Broughton looked awesome. He easilly converted a goaline run for a TD, he caught a few balls and was all over on special teams.

There were def positives, but there was also a lot left to be desired.

that first scoring drive by delhomme exposed our secondary big time. We had most of our secondary available to us for the first half, so you shouldn't just brush off the fact that they looked bad. We ARE counting on production from walt harris at the number two CB spot.

That said, williams's schemes ought to make us look a lot better. They did last year, so we should expect better from them. Still, you'd be hard pressed to say that with the defense we fielded last night we'd win any games.

1. It was mostly missed opportunities, but things were rather simple. A lot of passes that were simply off target in crucial situations.

2. Brown was solid and would be well-suited in the slot. He had the longest reception of the game.

3. Daniels didn't play and neither did Griffin.

4. The fumble was the fault of the rb, Brock Forsey. He didn't make a basket for Campbell to place the hand off. Combs fumbled at a crucial time also, otherwise Campbell would have led us to our second TD.

5. Shelton looked good between the tackles running north/south. On tosses, he was average except when our D grossly overplayed.

Our depth at secondary is not that good. Some of Carolina's recievers dropped passes that were in their hands and would have exposed our secondary even more. But for the majority their receivers were toasting our secondary completely.

A LOT of missed tackles, which was extremely suprising. It seems like we have taken a step back in defenss, but it might just be the rustiness from the offseason, and of course, most of our starters weren't playing.

D-line had little presense, all our pressure came from linebackers or secondary blitzing.

Just to add on, the defense started Stoutmire and Prioleau for the safeties, and Walt Haris and Ade Jimoh as our corners. Harris did a decent job of controlling Smith, but Jimoh made 50/50 look like 90/10.

The run D looked strong, even w/ the injuries there.

On the Panthers' first drive, you have to take into consideration that the crowd was all pumped up after Ramsey's mistake, and the final TD toss was a remarkable play by Delhomme. He was getting sacked and he eluded and threw up a prayer that Ade couldn't stop. If that was any other corner, especially if Taylor was on the field, that was either a pick or a sack.

Also keep in mind that most NFL teams don't gameplan in the preseason, unless you are the Carolina Panthers w/ 10 straight preseason wins. (Hmm, let's thin kabout that one for a second.) My point is that defensively, we rely on GW to outscheme opposing offenses. Remember last year when our secondary was man-handled by the Rams? GW almost wants his secondary to get burnt in the preseason, to learn to respect the speed of the game...esp. for the younger guys.

I guess what I am trying to say is this...REMEMBER OSAKA! :laugh:

Archived