Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does the media hate the Redskins?

Originally posted by jimster

I'm a few years older than you and am also born and raised in DC with older brothers and father who got me into football at a very young age, so don't talk to me like some bandwagon Cowboys fan (ooops). I'll give you something else that you probably don't remember - John Madden used to call the Redskins the "Rodney Dangerfields of the NFL" (in case you're wondering what my sig means) in the 80's.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that yes, there has been some negative bias going on since then. Actually before then. - Also note Woofer's post above mine.

If you were familiar with me you'd understand that I am one of the more positive posters on this sight, a Redskins sight by the way. So, why don't you try to be a little more polite since you are an un-invited "guest".

1. I know where I am and I mean no disrespect. No, I guess I'm not familiar with you yet and if my debating style offended you please forgive me. At the same time, please understand that fans of other teams do frequent this board and may respectfully share an objective opinion different from your own or the "norm" of the board.

2. All Cowboy fans are not bandwagonners. Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

3. You did not address my points about the 80's? Your coach is in the HOF? Can you count the amount of times you've seen John Riggins run that damn play against Miami in the SB? You also didn't address why the Hoyas, Wizards, etc. are not "hated" in their respective leagues given your reasoning? Is it safe to assume that every sports team of D.C. shares in this "hatred?" Or does it just apply to professional football? I think the John Madden comment has more to do with Joe Gibbs demeanor and the "overachieving" qualities of some of his great teams. Anyone will tell you that the 80's belonged to the 9'ers and the Skins and if that ain't respect I don't know what is. I can't speak on the 60's and 70's. I just believe the reasons for the backlash against the Skins are for reasons other than the White House and politics

:)

as far as the '80's go, yes I do realize that we have 2 coaches (3 if you count Lombardi) in the HOF, but there was still a lot of bias even in those years. Ask some of our members who remember Howard Cosell doing a Redskins game or good ole Jimmy the Greek.

- Some one posted an archived article here a month or so ago from the Washington Post from '86 slamming the team, Cooke and Gibbs. - That's 2 years removed from back to back Superbowl appearences.

As far as other sports go, I guess you're right, the bias doesn't really seem there, but then again people didn't really take the Wizards seriously, and to be honest, I don't think anyone ever disiked the Hoyas while Thompson was there.

- Another big thing is that DC has always been a media heavy town and a highly critical town due to the politics, even in the days prior to the internet, so the Redskins have always been a very public team. - People get tired of that as well.

A great example, someone I used to work with from Minnesota told me he hated the Redskins. When I asked why, he said it was because their games were always on TV growing up.

I think that these days it has more to do with the spin they put on Snyder combined with the overblown media and internet.

Sorry if we don't agree.

...even more sorry you're a Cowboys fan:laugh:

Archived