Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers: Draft Diary 3 (not sure if this was posted or not )

IGN » Sports » Football

Carlos Rogers: Draft Diary 3

Living up to the legacy of the Redskins cornerbacks.

by Carlos Rogers

June 2, 2005 - As told to Jon Robinson

I've always watched and admired the cornerbacks on the Redskins. Darrell Green, Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot, and, of course, Deion Sanders. These are some of the best players to play their position, and I hope to add to that legacy.

I'll be wearing #22 on the Redskins…one number away from Deion, my favorite player of all time. When I was a kid, I didn't really collect football cards, I collected Deion cards. I would flip through the pack, and if I didn't get a Deion or a Joe Montana in my pack, I just threw the other cards away. I wore a Deion 49ers jersey, I studied his tapes, and now, I'm playing on one of his former teams.

At the Rookie Premiere a couple of weeks ago in Los Angeles, I had the chance to pose for my first football cards. They took so many pictures in so many different poses, I don't even know what it's going to look like, but it's amazing to think that there are some kids out there who might get excited to find one of my cards in a pack. And while I don't expect anyone to throw out the rest of the players if they don't get my card, it's always nice to dream. I'm also excited to see people wear my Redskins jersey. In college, people used to wear my jersey, but they only cost $60. When you buy an authentic NFL jersey of a player, you know they're a big fan because it can cost you up to $300.

The Draft

I had a feeling I was going to be picked in the top ten when I went on my team visits and I saw that Washington had me on the top of their list. They were going defense, and there I was, their first choice. I was pretty nervous watching the draft, because even though you think you're getting picked by a certain team, in the end, you never know. A player could slip and cause the whole draft to change in a second, so it was a relief to finally hear my name at number nine.

The first thing I went and bought was a new candy red Cadillac Escalade. I put 26's on it, got a stereo system, tinted my windows. I got five TVs in it, even got a videogame system in it. It's this new thing where there are 50 old-school games on this one controller. I haven't even played it yet, but my little cousin loves it. Besides, it's probably not safe to play games and drive at the same time.

At Camp

I've been to a couple camps already, and working out with the vets, I can already tell the difference in speed. Everybody is fast, and experience really plays a big role. In the NFL, the fourth receiver can beat you just as bad as the first receiver. Everyone runs their routes sharper, they anticipate plays better, and if you make one mistake, they're by you.

One thing the coaches are preaching to us is how important it is physically to take care of your body. Make sure you eat right, continue to work out and stretch. Those are the most important things. Mentally, you need to be prepared for every play, every match-up. In college, you get away with a lot of things because of talent. In the NFL, you have to be focused in on every situation. Everyone in the NFL has talent. The difference here is knowing exactly how to react to each situation.

When it comes to this season, I just want quarterbacks to know that I'm not an easy first down. I'm going to study film on everyone, every situation because I know when they look over at me, they see a rookie, and they're going to try and test me, but I'm going to go out there and try to make some plays.

I'm the new Redskins cornerback.

And I have a lot to live up to.

Archived