Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A few blurbs:

wildbill

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/020701pfw/whispers.html

Last year, Marty Schottenheimer angered a rather vocal group of veterans by beginning training camp with the very physical Oklahoma drill. This year, new Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier intends to open camp with the same drill. However, Spurrier also is adamant about not wearing out his players before the start of the regular season. That means the Skins will be enduring fewer two-a-days and a much less physical camp than last year.

WR Jacquez Green has looked good in Redskins workouts and appears to have cemented a starting spot opposite Rod Gardner. Kevin Lockett is emerging as the No. 3 wideout. But there is a logjam behind that trio, with rookie Cliff Russell, Reidel Anthony, Chris Doering, Justin Skaggs, Darnerian McCants and Derrius Thompson fighting for the final two or three WR spots on the roster.

We hear the 49ers are still interested in possibly obtaining free-agent WR Willie Jackson but that Jackson is holding out hope of playing on an East Coast team, which many believe to be the Redskins. Jackson played for new Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier at Florida.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was interesting that their wasn't any mention of Adams at all. You would think at a time like this, when the media is basically just trying to get something out to the die hards, they would come up with something. Maybe their isn't much interest in him anymore.

Guest Trevor

I think fatboy noted in an earlier article that he felt that the Skins were no longer really in contention to add Adams. That's probably why he didn't mention it.

Hopefully we'll sign Jackson though.

Perhaps they are considering Jackson, but my God how many WRs will there be running around camp?! I can't imagine paying much for another at this point so he'd have to come in at a pretty reasonable price. If he did he would immediately jump into contention with the first 3 guys rather than the "logjam" behind them.

Yea. This has one of those WTF signings written all over it. Either the lack of news on the Adams front means the Skins sign him in couple of days or they sign 1-2 people the media didn't think the Skins were talking too. :rolleyes: It does seem that Jackson is not so subtley lobbying for a shot with the Redskins though. Yeeesh. Couldn't walk out of the locker room without tripping over a receiver. Though it is likely that one or 2 could end up on the practice squad. Sigh. Training camp starts when? :D

"Training camp starts when?" - Park City Skins

Not soon enough! I'm already tired of seeing baseball highlights on sportcenter. I'd rather see camp practice highlights than another homerun.

I'm looking forward to that "Hard Knocks" show (HBO) again this year ... even if it is following the Cowboys. That was one stellar show last year. I just wish they would do one on a team other than the ones I hate. If next year is Philly I'm writing someone a letter.

there may be a 'logjam' of receivers but that doesn't necessarily mean that any number of them are going to be productive NFLers.

it is entirely possible that guys like McCants and Skaggs won't make it. After all, neither has seen much action on the field and are on the periphery of the team even as camp starts.

you are looking at guys competing to be the #4 and #5 receivers, maybe :)

if we add Jackson it is entirely possible that Lockett goes.

if not, then we have a top four of Gardner, Green, Jackson, Lockett, Russell and whomever else makes the grade.

How is that a problem?

You let everyone compete and then let the chips fall where they may. :)

Guest Trevor
Originally posted by bulldog

there may be a 'logjam' of receivers but that doesn't necessarily mean that any number of them are going to be productive NFLers.

I agree 100%. It's not like Jackson's gonna get a big payday and be an impact on the cap. At least you wouldn't think so. He's more proven that anything we got and he knows the system.

Archived