Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Google Desktop Search

justme

Just discovered this - not Google - but the desktop search toolbar you can download from the site. Easily the most convenient applicaton I've come across in long time. Basically, the app indexes your entire computer including your email and pulls up terms you've entered that have appeared in any window you've had open (i.e web page history, ms office files, instant messages, outlook) and lists them. For those that have gmail it searches your computer in the same fashion you can google search your gmail inbox. Very handy if you know you were discussing, say "Fed Ex Field" but don't remember who, or out of which program. Cool app (esp. the email keyword search) but not for those who are paranoid about big brother ;)

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

http://oak.psych.gatech.edu/~epic/ols-master.html

The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. :laugh:

Might want to hold off on downloading that just yet. Here's an article circulating around my office. Sorry no link, I received this in the body of an email.

Apreo encourages enterprise network security administrators to prepare for the onslaught of Google Desktop Search (GDS) and MSN Toolbar Suite downloads, among other desktop search tools.

New search capabilities provided by GDS and other search tools offer substantial user benefits and will be downloaded by millions of enterprise employees over the next few months. However, GDS can create holes in network security - potentially leading to a spyware infection and the exposure of confidential data. GDS indexes cached web pages with secure data, which is particularly risky when the desktop is shared, as the sensitive information is available to the next user. Because the GDS index is not secure, it is vulnerable to spyware or other malware that could send the index to another site.

Networks across global enterprises are at risk of individual employee downloads of desktop search tools such as Google Desktop. Network administrators looking to ready themselves for better control of such applications should implement an appropriate-use program with a published use policy and automated enforcement.

At any time, any corporate network is at risk, since employees can easily download Google Desktop Search on their own, without the IT department's knowledge. Especially at risk are networks with many shared computers, such as those in call centers, education environments, government, manufacturing, hospitals, etc.

Archived