Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey look- England has gone PC too!

The Evil Genius

Political Correctness Rings Hunchback Death Knell

Fri Jun 28, 9:22 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British theater company has dropped the word hunchback from its stage adaptation of the classic novel "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" to avoid offending disabled people, newspapers reported Friday.

Oddsocks Productions has renamed its touring production "The Bellringer of Notre Dame" after discussions with a disability adviser raised the possibility of offending people with spina bifida or the disfiguring scoliosis of the spine.

"We have not changed the novel in any way, we simply felt changing the title would cause less offence of people," producer Elli Mackenzie was quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror.

French author Victor Hugo's classic 1831 novel, set in 15th century Paris around the cathedral of Notre Dame, tells the tragic story of a deformed bellringer Quasimodo and his love for a beautiful gypsy girl Esmeralda.

The novel has been translated into 20 languages and adapted several times for the stage and screen -- including a 1939 Hollywood film starring Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara.

The original title of the novel was "Notre Dame de Paris," but its name was changed when the book was translated into English and the hunchback has remained part of the title until now.

Libby Biberian of the Scoliosis Association told newspapers she was pleased at the change.

"I would be embarrassed and offended by the original title," she said.

I guess we will have to follow suit. Some ideas for TV shows and Movie characters would have to change their names:

Jake and the Fat Man would have to be changed if it were redone.

Fat B@stard wouldn't be as funny anymore. I guess calling him overweight illegitimate (sp) child would not have quite the same ring.

Charlie's Angels would be changed as well... I see a sexual harassment lawsuit brewing here.

As a fat guy I think the Fat Boys should change their name... all the old Arsenio Hall albums where he is Chunky A should be recalled and the Nutty professor movies are just plain mean and degrading to fat people everywhere. Don't get me started on Porky Pig. :laugh: <---- Please note the sarcasm for the preceding statements.

Just some ideas... not good ones mind you but some none the less.

Peace

Archived