Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Mark Maske: Small June Free Agency Expected

bubba9497

Small June Free Agency Expected

Wednesday, June 1, 2005; E02

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/31/AR2005053101297_pf.html

Executives around the NFL are expecting relatively little activity on the June free agent market this year. The league's second wave of free agency comes annually after June 1 because that's when teams can defer for a year the bulk of the salary cap hits for releasing players.

The players likely to be released include Tennessee Titans safety Lance Schulters , Pittsburgh Steelers safety Mike Logan , Seattle Seahawks cornerback Bobby Taylor , San Francisco 49ers tackle Scott Gragg , Tampa Bay Buccaneers tackle Todd Steussie and Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Johnnie Morton .

The Oakland Raiders probably will part with quarterback Rich Gannon , but the former league most valuable player likely will retire after breaking a vertebra in his neck in a game last season. The St. Louis Rams could release tackle Kyle Turley , but his football future is uncertain because of ongoing back problems.

Teams generally have done a better job the past few years of managing the salary cap, so June free agency has become less prominent. . . .

The 49ers have made progress recently in negotiations with agent Tom Condon on a contract for Alex Smith , the University of Utah quarterback who was the top overall draft pick in April.

The 49ers hope to sign Smith well before training camp opens in late July. The two sides were unable to agree to a deal before the draft, largely because the 49ers apparently were hopeful then of getting Smith to sign a contract worth less than the six-year, $45 million deal that quarterback Eli Manning signed with the New York Giants last July after being the top overall choice in last year's draft.

It now appears that Smith's contract will be worth more than Manning's, which also was negotiated by Condon.

-- Mark Maske

Originally posted by RyansRangers

WOW Smith get bigger contract then Manning........

Inflation. Happens every year. I detest the "slotting" system the agents and NFL seem to have worked out. It totally discounts "fair market value" in my opinion and forces the teams into paying more for players who have yet to prove anything on the field.

Originally posted by Neophyte

Inflation. Happens every year. I detest the "slotting" system the agents and NFL seem to have worked out. It totally discounts "fair market value" in my opinion and forces the teams into paying more for players who have yet to prove anything on the field.

Agreed. I think all rookies should play on a 1-3 year rookie contract for the league minimum. This would save teams money but also benefit players..

teams saves money on players that may not work out in the NFL..

Players that do work out will get the choice sooner, if they'd like to stay with the current team or move on to something new.

Will never happen.

Originally posted by bubba9497

The Oakland Raiders probably will part with quarterback Rich Gannon , but the former league most valuable player likely will retire after breaking a vertebra in his neck in a game last season.

I will miss watching Gannon play. I always liked him. He's a good guy...plus he's a Blue Hen.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

Agreed. I think all rookies should play on a 1-3 year rookie contract for the league minimum. This would save teams money but also benefit players..

teams saves money on players that may not work out in the NFL..

Players that do work out will get the choice sooner, if they'd like to stay with the current team or move on to something new.

Will never happen.

I like the system the way it is. Let the owners work out the money...I would rather have our top choices here long term than worry about them leaving in 3 years.

Archived