Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

? About Sirius and NFL Sunday Drive

Redskinette_Vic

Guys, I need your help! I'm thinking about getting my husband Sirius Satellite Radio (since it has the NFL Sunday Drive and 24/7 NFL channel) for our anniversary.

So is it worth the money? I know it's like $12/month for the programming but I'll also have to buy some equipment, right? What if I want it for both the car and the house?

I'd like some info before I go into a Best Buy and get the high-pressured sales pitch. I've surfed the Sirius site already but was confused about all the different types of equipment they offered. Any advice would be helpful!

1st- equipment. If you want to go the simplest and cheapest route you can, you could get the Audiovox SIR-PNP2 (https://home.sirius.com/Shop/productdetail.asp?productsID=849) which is the main component along with the Boombox (Audiovox SIR-BB1). Retail for both is $199.98 and if you purchase before September 25, 2004 you get a $50 mail-in rebate. All you would need to add is cigar lighter adapter for your car and you could take your Sirius anywhere. If you want the audio to come out of your home stereo or theatre speakers, you need the Audiovox SIR-PNP2 (mentioned above) along with an Audiovox SIR-HK1 ($49.99). To move this unit to your car, get the Audiovox SIR-CK1 ($49.99). To summarize equipment, get the:

SIR-PNP2 & SIR BB1 @ $199.98 w/$50 rebate & add lighter adapter

OR

SIR-PNP2 ($99.99) & SIR-HK1 ($49.99) & SIR-CK1 ($49.99)

There are other equipment manufacturers, but the Audiovox PNP (plug-n-play) is the closest thing to my XM Delphi SkyFi.

After you buy the equipment, you need a subscription. Right now, if you prepay a one year sub, you get the equivalent of one month free (compared to the $12.95 monthly fee) for $142.45. You can also pay a lifetime subscription for $499.99. There are no contracts to sign and you can refund the amount you haven't used if you want some subscription money back. If you want to learn alot more about Sirius, a great online community (similar to Extremeskins...an unofficial fan site) can be found at http://www.siriusbackstage.com. Some threads on their forum dealing with the NFL games are here:

Full lineup starts Monday http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11519

Preseason broadcast schedule http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11545

How will broadcasts work?http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9901

Streamed stats and more http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11137

Sirius Backstage Sports Forum http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

FYI, Sirius also has ESPN Radio, ESPNEWS, NHL games, and NBA games. I have XM becasue I got it before the NFL announcement was made. I also have ESPN Radio, ESPNEWS, FOX Sports Radio, Sporting News Radio, and the NASCAR Channel (NASCAR's equivalent of the NFL Network). As for XM equipment I own, I have a SkyFi (similar to the SIR-PNP2) with a Boombox for the office, a car kit, and a home kit. Check ebay using the Audiovox part numbers, but the $50 rebate is hard to pass up.

I got mine at Circiut City and had it installed there. It was $99 for the Adiovox SIRPNP2 and $50 for the car kit ( antenna and all ) the instalation was free with any purchase over $99. They have the boombox if you want but they also sell a home stereo kit for around $50 or you can listen to it on your computer also. If you buy a full year subscription its a little bit cheapeer than $12. Overall I am very satisfied with Sirius dont really ever want to go back to regular radio.

Originally posted by th869

Overall I am very satisfied with Sirius dont really ever want to go back to regular radio.

Yeah, I should've mentioned that the audio quality is awesome and the selection is endless. Both services offer lots of stuff you just don't get on local radio. The only time you may have reception problems are when you are tight against a building, traveling through a parking garage (and you still might NOT have trouble), or simply put next to or under an obstruction of metal or concrete. I LOVE my XM. I'm hopeful that a manufacturer will produce a dual PNP tuner XM/Sirius so I can enjoy both services. There have been rumblings about offering certain channels ala carte. I could then enjoy the best of both services.

SIRIUS NFL RADIO GOES LIVE AUGUST 2, MARKING LAUNCH OF FIRST 24/7 RADIO

CHANNEL DEDICATED TO THE NFL

Programming Lineup Includes In-Studio Talk Shows Hosted by Cris Carter, Dan Reeves, John Riggins, Shannon Sharpe and others.

NEW YORK, August 2, 2004 - SIRIUS (NASDAQ: SIRI), the premium satellite radio provider known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and sports programming to homes and cars across the country, today announced that SIRIUS NFL Radio, the first 24/7 year-round radio channel devoted entirely to the National Football League, will go live on Monday, August 2. SIRIUS also announced the programming lineup for its inaugural season.

SIRIUS NFL Radio will provide the most comprehensive, in-depth radio

coverage of the NFL, including daily live shows hosted by legendary NFL

figures, including Cris Carter, Dan Reeves, John Riggins and Shannon

Sharpe. Each show will feature team-by-team reports, expert analysis,

exclusive conversations with team personnel and sports insiders - and best of all, phone calls from football fans from around the country. The

channel will also cater to fantasy football fans with a show dedicated to

fantasy leagues every Friday.

SIRIUS NFL Radio complements SIRIUS NFL Sunday Drive, the new

programming package that lets subscribers choose from a full slate of live radio game broadcasts from all around the NFL each Sunday.

"Football fans - real football fans - will get the best coverage of the

NFL, every day of the year on SIRIUS NFL Radio," remarked Steve Cohen, SIRIUS Director of NFL Programming. "We have spared no effort in assembling the wisest, smartest names in pro football for our on-air lineup. SIRIUS subscribers will be the best-informed football fans around!"

"SIRIUS NFL Sunday Drive will enhance football fans' fall Sunday

rituals, because wherever they are - at the beach, in the car or on the patio - they can now follow every play of their favorite teams and players

with SIRIUS," said Scott Greenstein, President of Entertainment and

Sports, SIRIUS. "We've got something for every fan, including the

opportunity to choose from either the home or away broadcast of the same game.

SIRIUS NFL Sunday Drive and SIRIUS NFL Radio are two great ways to enjoy the NFL season this fall."

SIRIUS NFL Radio kicks off at 8am ET Monday, August 2 with "The Opening Drive" show hosted by Dan Reeves and Chris Moore. The complete weekday lineup:

- Live talk shows: hosted by current and future NFL Hall of Famers, NFL

and media experts. A look at the opening day schedule:

- 8-10am "The Opening Drive" with Chris Moore and Dan Reeves

- 10am-1pm "Movin' The Chains" with Bob Papa, Shannon Sharpe and Tim Ryan

- 1-3pm "The Red Zone" with Steve Cohen, Cris Carter, Glenn Parker,

Gil Brandt and Carl Banks

- 3pm-7pm "The Afternoon Blitz" with Adam Schein, John Riggins and

Pat Kirwan.

- Fantasy Show: A weekly show throughout the season, updating fans on

statistics, injuries and all the players hosted by Adam Caplan and John

Hansen

SIRIUS NFL Radio and SIRIUS NFL Sunday Drive are provided to SIRIUS

customers at no additional cost over SIRIUS' basic monthly subscription

price of $12.95 per month (an annual subscription lowers the monthly cost to $9.95). SIRIUS radios that can be used in both the car and home are available for $149 at Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart and other electronics retailers across America.

Archived