Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Great Potential QB Gone . . .

Gibbs' list of veteran QB's is one shorter now . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1739035

HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. -- Former Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel is finished with the NFL.

Wuerffel spent six seasons as a backup quarterback with New Orleans, Green Bay and Washington. The Redskins cut him last year during training camp, and he turned down an offer to return at midseason.

The 1996 Heisman winner said at a news conference Wednesday that he is taking a job as associate athletic director of Desire Street Ministries, which works with inner city youth in New Orleans.

In six seasons, Wuerffel completed 184 of 350 passes, with 12 touchdowns and 22 interceptions. He also spent one season in NFL Europe.

"It's difficult to say goodbye to a dream," Wuerffel said. "At the same time, I'm thankful that I'm not leaving because I have to."

Wuerffel said he also will pursue opportunities in broadcasting, public speaking and motivational speaking and is discussing a book deal.

"Being in and out, I feel like I've been faced with this reality for years now," Wuerffel said. "Even as I was still in football I started working at the ministry and being a part of other things, and I can't imagine wanting to go back and play."

It is kind of hard for me to bash Danny Wuerffel. The guy was a great character person had a lot of heart and wanted to prove he could make it in the NFL. Just was not a pro-type QB and did not have the arm strength.

Wish him the best as associate athletic director of Desire Street Ministries. :thumb:

Too bad character did not make you a success in the NFL. People like Wuerffel and Heath Shuler would be future Hall of Famers and Warren Sapp, Bill Romonowski and Deion Sanders would not make NFL Rosters!

He got as far as his talent could get him and then a couple of steps further. He wasn't a crybaby. He was a good teammate. He won a Heisman and a college National Championship. He is devoting his life now to helping his fellow man. No he wasn't good enough to be an NFL qb. But I'd take his athletic achievements over those people making fun of him.

Archived