Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports (Leagues) and their Past Archives

Fergasun

Kind've a random thought -- but with these NBA Finals, watching recent UEFA Soccer Champions League final, and moving -- I happened to stumble onto a bunch of "old DVDs" that I had lying around.  I ended up stumbling into old copies of 2006 NBA Eastern and Western Conference Finals and some (but mostly only a few) 2006 World Cup Matches and some 2005 and 2008 NFL games. 

It made me think how for $10 a month, I can pay the WWE and have their entire back catalog at my disposal.  Yet NFL, NBA, NHL and other sports, not even FIFA   have the same type of streaming service.  I told my son that I had old games, so he is eager to watch his "favorite", young Tom Brady (ironically, the one game I did confirm I had was the Tom Brady injury-game in 2008 Week 1). 

Anyway, just venting here.... there's plenty of past sports content that has been generated that can get us through the regular season, or even lulls in NBA series... I understand how sports leagues could feel that they would be "eating their own cornseed" because they all have their own networks, and they would rather have us watching current programming on their networks... but having something at my hands for all sports leagues, even past Olympics.... etc. would be an awesome service. 

I wish I would go back to my previous move (or whenever) and *NOT* purged the couple bins of DVDs that I had.... I probably had most of the 2006-2008 NFL season, plus 2006 and 2010 World Cup matches.  Surprisingly these "valuable" (IMHO) sports matches are the type of thing that even though we have all the tools online to make them available, when they are "gone" they are gone. 

NFL game pass had archived games going back to 2012 at one point. Not sure if they're still available or if they've bothered to add more seasons. 

I agree with you 100%. I really liked the WWF Network service. Being able to watch so many of the old matches and PPVs is fantastic. Not sure why the major sports leagues have yet to follow up with something similar. 

27 minutes ago, clietas said:

NFL game pass had archived games going back to 2012 at one point. Not sure if they're still available or if they've bothered to add more seasons. 

I agree with you 100%. I really liked the WWF Network service. Being able to watch so many of the old matches and PPVs is fantastic. Not sure why the major sports leagues have yet to follow up with something similar. 

Yep the NFL has every game from the 2009 season to this past season on NFL Gamepass. Once in a while I cheat the system and create a new email address to use for a new NFL.com account so I can sign up for the NFL Gamepass 7 day trial, so I can watch a redskins game or two from another season. 

Archived