Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley Game-Worn Drops By More Than Half

Mark The Homer

I can qualify that when I was a manager with the JMU basketball team. We were provided with equipment from Nike. If a mid major basketball team received apparel sans charge. On would deduct that an NFL team would certainly be provided with similar luxuries.

Can you qualify this?

Edit: Guess not.

I can't qualify it either, but from my understanding, Reebok is the official outfitter of the NFL which means they provide the NFL with their jerseys for FREE. What do they get in return? Well besides the fact that Reebok is plastered all over every uniform, the real money they get is from sales/revenue as a result of the "authentic", "replica", "replithentic", whatever you call them. For every Tony Romo sits to pee jersey they give free to the Dallas Cowboys, they sell thousands to fans.

Besides the FREE uniform, what else did Reebok do? Pay 25 Million a year for the rights to do so.

Bottom line, the number of jerseys pro teams use are pennies on the dollar compared to the revenue Reebok gets out of a deal they pay *25 Million* a year for. Why would Reebok pay 25 mill a year, and say BTW, you have to pay for your own jerseys.

I can't qualify it either, but from my understanding, Reebok is the official outfitter of the NFL which means they provide the NFL with their jerseys for FREE. What do they get in return? Well besides the fact that Reebok is plastered all over every uniform, the real money they get is from sales/revenue as a result of the "authentic", "replica", "replithentic", whatever you call them. For every Tony Romo sits to pee jersey they give free to the Dallas Cowboys, they sell thousands to fans.

Besides the FREE uniform, what else did Reebok do? Pay 25 Million a year for the rights to do so.

Bottom line, the number of jerseys pro teams use are pennies on the dollar compared to the revenue Reebok gets out of a deal they pay *25 Million* a year for. Why would Reebok pay 25 mill a year, and say BTW, you have to pay for your own jerseys.

you are correct Chip it's called Sports Marketing. Also for more information google sponsorship.

But what you guys have left out of the conversation is a little company in Wisconsin called Ripon Athletic.

Yeah but the amount Reebok pays Ripon is trivial. Jerseys for teams don't cost anywhere near the 25 million dollars a year Reebok pays the NFL to supply them their products. I bet if you sae the actual cost for Ripon to produce a jersey, and the cost Reebok pays for a jersey you would be floored.

Mark, BTW when I got out of selling Nascar apparel on the web I was purchasing Jeff Hamilton/JH Design leather jackets from my distributor for $99 Cotten were like $79. That was a full leather/cotton jacket, with patches, logo's, NASCAR logo costs, sponsorship costs etc built into the price. That was my price from my distributor. These jackets sold for $150 plus.

A mesh jersey with numbers based on it probably costs a textile maker virtually nothing but labor costs. I would be suprised if the cost to make them exceeded $10.

The teams don't pay for these jerseys. I highly doubt they have to pay to have the jerseys altered. Reebook paid a premium price in 2002 to outfit the league. They then shipped out 350,000 pieces of gear to the various teams.
Okay. Look, I'm not arguing with you. I'm asking you for a concrete source of information rather than assumption. You say Reebok sent out 350,000 pieces of gear, and yet we know for a fact that Reebok doesn't even make the uniforms. So what exactly did Reebok include in the 350,000 pieces of gear they shipped out? And you did not bother to include any back up info or link or anything else in your post. So I naturally say to myself "This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He's making assumptions."
it's called sponsorship. Reebok paid a huge sum of money to provide teams equipment. Same thing at the collegiate level.
I know all about sponsorship. You still haven't explained Ripon Athletic's involvement.
I can qualify that when I was a manager with the JMU basketball team. We were provided with equipment from Nike. If a mid major basketball team received apparel sans charge. On would deduct that an NFL team would certainly be provided with similar luxuries.
Yeah, but the equipment was made by Nike, right? This is different. It is obvious to me you are making assumptions.
I can't qualify it either, but from my understanding, Reebok is the official outfitter of the NFL which means they provide the NFL with their jerseys for FREE.
I don't understand this statement because we already know Reebok does not manufacture the uniforms.
What do they get in return? Well besides the fact that Reebok is plastered all over every uniform, the real money they get is from sales/revenue as a result of the "authentic", "replica", "replithentic", whatever you call them. For every Tony Romo sits to pee jersey they give free to the Dallas Cowboys, they sell thousands to fans.

That's fine and dandy, but you still haven't explained Ripon Athletic.
Why? Because they don't make the jerseys, that's why.

I contend that the sponsorship deal is for retail only and the business the NFL has with Ripon is completely independent of the deal with Reebok. I contend Ripon places Reebok logos on their jerseys as part of their deal with the league.

That's my assumption, and nobody has ever come up with any evidence to convince me otherwise.

That's my assumption, and nobody has ever come up with any evidence to convince me otherwise.

You can see more info on Adidas/Reebok websites.

Due to its partnership with the NFL, Reebok has a unique position

in American football, the most popular sport in the USA.

As the official outfitter of the NFL, Reebok provides on-field

uniforms as well as off-field apparel products to all 32 NFL

teams. This gives Reebok an unrivalled presence at all NFL

games during the season. In addition, the partnership enables

Reebok to drive its licensed business and has a positive halo

effect on the brand’s cleated footwear and branded apparel

business. By utilizing individual players such as Peyton and

Eli Manning and Vince Young as brand ambassadors, Reebok

strives to strengthen its connection with consumers.

http://adidas-group.corporate-publications.com/files/pdf/en/Reebok_Strategy.pdf

Here is one more for you...from Reebok itself...

Reebok is the exclusive on-field apparel provider for the National Football League. All 1,800 players in the NFL are outfitted in NFL Equipment apparel, designed and engineered by Reebok. Reebok is also the exclusive licensee of NFL branded footwear. Young joins an elite list of Reebok's NFL quarterbacks, including Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Matt Hasselbeck and Byron Leftwich.

http://corporate.reebok.com/en/news/press_archives/2006/vince.asp

Read post #3 on this page on nextleveltalk.com. I read his post for the first time a few days ago, and this guy seems to agree with me.

http://nextleveltalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16979&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=57859b364b440fa121c315a21760b3b0&start=15

You can see more info on Adidas/Reebok websites.

Due to its partnership with the NFL, Reebok has a unique position

in American football, the most popular sport in the USA.

As the official outfitter of the NFL, Reebok provides on-field

uniforms as well as off-field apparel products to all 32 NFL

teams. This gives Reebok an unrivalled presence at all NFL

games during the season. In addition, the partnership enables

Reebok to drive its licensed business and has a positive halo

effect on the brand’s cleated footwear and branded apparel

business. By utilizing individual players such as Peyton and

Eli Manning and Vince Young as brand ambassadors, Reebok

strives to strengthen its connection with consumers.

http://adidas-group.corporate-publications.com/files/pdf/en/Reebok_Strategy.pdf

Here is one more for you...from Reebok itself...

Reebok is the exclusive on-field apparel provider for the National Football League. All 1,800 players in the NFL are outfitted in NFL Equipment apparel, designed and engineered by Reebok. Reebok is also the exclusive licensee of NFL branded footwear. Young joins an elite list of Reebok's NFL quarterbacks, including Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Matt Hasselbeck and Byron Leftwich.

http://corporate.reebok.com/en/news/press_archives/2006/vince.asp

Neither of these posts explains Ripon Athletic's involvement.

I'm waiting.

Neither of these posts explains Ripon Athletic's involvement.

I'm waiting.

:silly:

Ripon manufactures the Jerseys that Reebok provides to the NFL. Thats how I would explain it. Reebok pays them a fee for the process. If Nike gets the next deal, the same would probably hold true. The contract would say they set a deal with Ripn to manufacture it.

Ripon is not in the same business Nike and Reebok are in.

The article doesn't say Reebok manufactures the jerseys. It says provides, designs, engineers the uniforms which technically would be correct if they informed Ripon how to build the jerseys per NFL specifications.

I would contend Nike, Reebok, etc don't manufacture much of anything anymore. They tag it, they market it. Why would Reebok come in and change what manufacturer the NFL uses, no need to. The number of jerseys, and the cost to manufacture it themselves wouldn't make any difference given a 25 million dollar buy in to sit at the NFL table. They make their money elsewhere. The number of jerseys Ripon makes for the NFL is trivial in the grand scheme.

EBay basically says the same thing I describe. Ripon is the manufacturer, Reebok is the distributor.

Believe me those Nike shoes people buy that are manufactured in China aren't manufactured by Chinese Nike Employees, the work is subbed out to a Chinese company who builds to Nike specifications. Same as the Ripon deal.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Educate-Yourself-Game-Used-Game-Worn-Jerseys_W0QQugidZ10000000005590228?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:6

:silly:

Ripon manufactures the Jerseys that Reebok provides to the NFL. Thats how I would explain it. Reebok pays them a fee for the process. If Nike gets the next deal, the same would probably hold true. The contract would say they set a deal with Ripn to manufacture it.

Ripon is not in the same business Nike and Reebok are in.

The article doesn't say Reebok manufactures the jerseys. It says provides, designs, engineers the uniforms which technically would be correct if they informed Ripon how to build the jerseys per NFL specifications.

I would contend Nike, Reebok, etc don't manufacture much of anything anymore. They tag it, they market it. Why would Reebok come in and change what manufacturer the NFL uses, no need to. The number of jerseys, and the cost to manufacture it themselves wouldn't make any difference given a 25 million dollar buy in to sit at the NFL table. They make their money elsewhere. The number of jerseys Ripon makes for the NFL is trivial in the grand scheme.

You may be right, Chip, but it just seems silly to me. And stupid. There's no reason for it to be so complicated and inefficient.

Why not let the teams deal with Ripon directly? That way they can order as many jerseys as they need. They can order the style and size for whatever respective player then need and they can order it directly. No middle man to screw things up. We already know The Redskins consume way more jerseys than any other NFL team. Wouldn't it be easier for each respective team to deal with Ripon directly? What is the advantage of dealing with Ripon by going through Reebok? It doesn't make any sense.

I believe it's possible the equipment managers of NFL teams might use the following link to order their needed jerseys directly from the source.

http://riponathletic.com/go/rainbow/3393/en-US/DesktopDefault.aspx

EBay basically says the same thing I describe. Ripon is the manufacturer, Reebok is the distributor.

Believe me those Nike shoes people buy that are manufactured in China aren't manufactured by Chinese Nike Employees, the work is subbed out to a Chinese company who builds to Nike specifications. Same as the Ripon deal.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Educate-Yourself-Game-Used-Game-Worn-Jerseys_W0QQugidZ10000000005590228?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:6

This guy is also making assumptions. His statement is not qualified.

I can say "Jesus Christ is Chinese." I can put it on eBay. That does not mean Jesus Christ is Chinese.

The fact is, you don't know. And neither do I. But I've been researching this for quite a while, and my understanding at this point is the the respective NFL teams' deal with Ripon is independent of teh deal with the corporate sponsor.

Would you deal directly with Ripon when Reebok is willing to pay you 25 million a year not to?
What? Where is it written that Reebok is paying the NFL $25,000,000 not to deal directly with Ripon regarding game jerseys?

Why is it not possible that Reebok is paying the league $25,000,000 simply for marketing and the right to sell offician NFL retail merchandise?

Well not according to Adidas/Reebok's website.

Show me.

Ripon like anaconda sports and the thousands of other athletic speciality companies don't manufacture jerseys. They will however act as a middleman and offer other services i.e. numbering or designing logos. If your interested in a local company check out Annadale sports.

Also Mark you are basing your information off uniform forums not actual sources.

What? Where is it written that Reebok is paying the NFL $25,000,000 not to deal directly with Ripon regarding game jerseys?

Why is it not possible that Reebok is paying the league $25,000,000 simply for marketing and the right to sell offician NFL retail merchandise?

Show me.

The link I provided you above from the Reebok website clearly states that:

Reebok is the exclusive on-field apparel provider for the National Football League. All 1,800 players in the NFL are outfitted in NFL Equipment apparel, designed and engineered by Reebok.

http://corporate.reebok.com/en/news/...2006/vince.asp

Also google Reeboks deal with the NFL, a 250 Million dollar deal over 10 years. Thats where I got the 25 mill per year.

I wouldn't think the NFL would want Reebok false advertising on their website.

Archived