Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Talking Trade with Bears at #4 Spot

Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt?

• Yes, that would be a good idea!
    • No, He is old and a former Cowboy!

again, G-Town there are corners that are available. You won't find another Bailey out there but there are guys who are capable of coming in and giving us a solid option at CB.

Tory James was released by the Raiders. Ambrose was released by the Falcons. Denard Walker was released by the Broncos.

Remember we had a rookie Vernon Dean starting opposite Jeris White in the first Gibbs Super Bowl.

When we had Darrell in his prime we more than got by with guys like Martin Mayhew and Barry Wilburn at the other corner spot.

It is not ideal. I would love to have 2 young cover corners locked up for years.

But the reality is that we will only be able to afford to resign Champ.

The other spot is going to have to be filled by a value free agent or younger draft choice.

Why do you think the Eagles spend 2 of their top 3 picks on defensive backs?

Taylor (29) and Vincent (32) are unlikey to stay together past 2003.

You have to make choices.

Now that Lewis is gone and Edwards has shown a willingness to use Bailey to shadow the opposition's #1 receiver, we can use the strategy of rolling coverages to the other side that made Petitbon's defenses so successful.

What bulldog just said.

If Bauman is too short, so was Darrell Green. So is Aaron Glenn. So is Ray Buchanan. So is Antoine Winfield. Green, Glenn, and Buchanan have all been Pro Bowlers multiple times. Winfield is usually on the cusp. I've heard Winfield called another Pat Fischer with speed, because of his toughness.

Bauman was compared frequently to Winfield coming out of college. An awful lot of scouts thought Bauman might have been the best cover corner in his class. His height dropped him. But I think he can really play. Give him a chance.

I think what the Skins have determined is that Smoot isn't detail oriented enough to play in this defense. In today's NFL, you simply have to mix up your coverages, or offenses will exploit you. Smoot seems to lose interest when he's not playing man-to-man. I think that's why you saw him frequently out of position.

Looking at the big picture, maybe the Skins can afford to trade Smoot, as long as they're getting an impact player in return. I think Charles Rogers is the #1 or #2 pick, so #4 still won't be high enough. At that point, you target Andre Johnson or Terrell Suggs. (Sorry, I love this DT class, especially Robertson, but a pass rusher like Suggs doesn't come around very often.)

Considering how badly Spurrier wants to add some playmakers to his offense, I would have to say that Johnson is the target. If the Skins can get the kind of production from Johnson in his rookie season that New Orleans got from Donte' Stallworth (and I think they can), it's worth it. Even though Johnson will be learning how to play in the NFL, he's got the kind of size and speed that defenses will HAVE to respect.

That's what the Skins are looking for.

Archived