Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Mum's The Word On Starting Quarterback

MustangSteve

If head coach Mike Shanahan knows who will start for the Redskins on Sunday, he isn't saying anything.

With starting quarterback Robert Griffin III limited in practice (LCL sprain) and Kirk Cousins fresh off a comeback overtime win, the Redskins' game plan is full of contingency plans.

"You never know," Shanahan said on Griffin III's status. "That is why you go day-by-day and we will see at the end of the week if he is full speed, ready to go. If he is, he will play."

The best indicator of playing time on Sunday is who takes the lion's share of snaps in practice. Both quarterbacks were advised not to divulge this information to the media on Wednesday.

"I was advised not to comment on the rep distribution, so I'm sorry but I'm not going to say anything along those lines," Cousins said. "Just to protect my team and give us the best chance to win on Sunday."

Griffin III described himself as "the happiest guy in the world" after learning his diagnosis on Monday. With that being said, he was hesistant to classify how he felt after his first day of practice.

Click Link for Rest of Story http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Mums-The-Word-On-Starting-Quarterback/2b4828e6-e0da-4174-b2ba-a862cf2208b6

Typical Shanahan at work here and I love it. Let them gameplan for Cousins all week and then we trot RG3 out there. Then wtf do they do? lol

Brilliant isn't it! Plain and simple the Browns will not be able to have a solid defensive plan due to planning for both, and they better plan for Cousins as well or he could have a huge game if starting.

Brilliant isn't it! Plain and simple the Browns will not be able to have a solid defensive plan due to planning for both, and they better plan for Cousins as well or he could have a huge game if starting.

Brilliant indeed. They prepare for Cousins all week and then see RG3 take the field. I'm confident that Shurmur would litterally soil his underoos when RG3 came out.

If I were the Browns I would be planning all week for griffin since he is the more dangerous QB. What if we were trot Kirk out ther for the first drive, they probably wont have much preperation for him and it may cause them to relax a little. Then second drive bring out the big Guns with a presumably healthy RG3!

I would hope that any NFL team faced with this situation would prepare for the trickier of the two QBs and take their chances if the more basic one plays. In preparing for Griffin, they also prepare for our base offense, so they would be prepared for Cousins.
But they would have no idea what our game plan would be with Cousins. They would sure look to stop the run and that could get them lit up by our receivers from the 1st drive on. If Cousins finds his grove early, the Browns will be in huge trouble. Especially if our D really steps it up.

But since RG is feeling no pain and can plant and run, I believe he is playing this game. No way we take that chance if he's good to go, that would be foolish.

But they would have no idea what our game plan would be with Cousins. They would sure look to stop the run and that could get them lit up by our receivers from the 1st drive on. If Cousins finds his grove early, the Browns will be in huge trouble. Especially if our D really steps it up.

But since RG is feeling no pain and can plant and run, I believe he is playing this game. No way we take that chance if he's good to go, that would be foolish.

You never know another team's game plan when it comes to the plays that will be called. We could go 5-WRs on the first drive with Griffin and really break our tendencies. The point is, if they prepare for Griffin based on the plays we've run through the first 13 games, they'll also be prepared for our offense under Cousins. They might see fewer zone-read plays and more straight drop-backs, but since we've run those with Griffin too, they'll have seen and prepared for it.

Archived