Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006 Coaching Hotseat Question???

UltimateSkinsFan

Which of these 2 NFLEL QBs has a chance of being a solid NFL starter?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 2 NFLEL QBs has a chance of being a solid NFL starter?

• Gibran Hamdan/Amsterdam Admirals/Seattle
    • Drew Henson/Rhein Fire/Dallas
    • Both
    • Neither

I was trying to think today of teams that may have a HC vacancy after next year and possibly stealing GW away from us. (Please God, don't let that happen.)

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't his new 3 year contract have a clause that he can leave if he chooses after next year??

Hence, my early 06 Coaches on the "Hot Seat" question.

Right now, and I'm tired, I can only think of that arrogant so and so that coaches Baltimore.

Any others?

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Justin

aka UltimateSkinsFan

(Proud son of a WWII ETO Vet-"The Greatest Generation")

well every head coach job is up for grabs every year if the owner is willing to buy the guy out. So every year is the hot seat.

My dream would be jerah jones courting GW and he gives him the middle finger stuffs a lobster tail in his mouth and kicks him in the nuts as his hell no response. I can go without the middle finger and the lobster tail, but he better kick him in the nuts.

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't his new 3 year contract have a clause that he can leave if he chooses after next year??

I'm not so sure about that. I know there is a clause saying that he can leave the team and receive some extra money if he does not become the head coach after Gibbs leaves... but that's about it.

As for coaches on the hot seat: there probably won't be nearly as many next season just because a lot of the newly installed coaches will be given atleast two seasons and most of the other coaches are still employed for a reason. Mike Holmgren has indicated that this may be his last season coaching, though. I'd also expect Billick and perhaps Mike Nolan to get the boot if they can't put together a better performance for the 06/07 season.

With so many new head coaches after last season, it would seem that there should be fewer openings this year...unless a new head coach just completely bombs out. Provided that doesn't happen here are the possibilities as I see it: Baltimore and maybe San Francisco and Seattle (if Holmgren decides to retire). Below is each team and their coach, with coaches in their first and second year with the franchise noted...I see them as less likely to be fired for a poor season. It just doesn't leave a lot of room for fired coaches.

NFC West

Arizona: Dennis Green

St. Louis: Scott Linehan, 1st year

San Francisco: Mike Nolan, 2nd year

Seattle: Mike Holmgren

NFC North

Chicago: Lovie Smith

Detroit: Rod Marinelli, 1st year

Green Bay: Mike McCarthy, 1st year

Minnesota: Brad Childress, 1st year

NFC South

Atlanta: Jim Mora

Carolina: John Fox

New Orleans: Sean Payton, 1st year

Tampa Bay: Jon Gruden

NFC East

Dallas: Bill Parcells

New York Giants: Tom Coughlin

Philadelphia: Andy Reid

Washington: Joe Gibbs

AFC West

Denver: Mike Shanahan

Kansas City: Herm Edwards, 1st year

Oakland: Art Shell, 1st year

San Diego: Marty Schottenheimer

AFC North

Baltimore: Brian Billick

Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis

Cleveland: Romero Crennel, 2nd year

Pittsburgh: Bill Cowher

AFC South

Houston: Gary Kubiak, 1st year

Indianapolis: Tony Dungy

Jacksonville: Jack Del Rio

Tennessee: Jeff Fisher

AFC East

Buffalo: Dick Jauron, 1st year

Miami: Nick Saban, 2nd year

New England: Bill Bellichick

New York Jets: Eric Mangini, 1st year

Right now I would guess Billick, Nolan, and maybe Parcells and Holmgren. Billick better turn things around fast otherwise I think he'll for sure get the boot, and Nolan has to show some improvement with Alex Smith and company by next year, although he could get a couple more years, who knows. Holmgren has hinted at slowing down his pace as both head coach and GM, and I think losing the Super Bowl really took it out of him given the way he's responded to it over the past few months, and there's been rumors that he could retire pretty soon. And Parcells' contract is up next year and depending on the success of the Cowboys and how T.O. behaves who knows if he'll come back, Dallas fans seem to take that one year at a time, but I can't imagine he'll want to return there again if they don't make the playoffs next year. But I don't see Williams leaving, the man wants to be a head coach again and all signs seem to point to him getting a great shot here- he's hopefully learning a lot under Gibbs about running a team the right way, he's got great defensive talent here to work with, Gibbs is setting up the future with young, stud offensive players, and most of all he's got Snyder's pocketbook. I was worried about it before he signed that big contract last December, but now I don't think there's any reason to be concerned. Personally I'm more concerned about Saunders leaving at some point, I think Williams could really benefit from having him around more so than Gibbs will.

With so many new head coaches after last season, it would seem that there should be fewer openings this year...unless a new head coach just completely bombs out. Provided that doesn't happen here are the possibilities as I see it: Baltimore and maybe San Francisco and Seattle (if Holmgren decides to retire). Below is each team and their coach, with coaches in their first and second year with the franchise noted...I see them as less likely to be fired for a poor season. It just doesn't leave a lot of room for fired coaches.

NFC West

Arizona: Dennis Green

St. Louis: Scott Linehan, 1st year

San Francisco: Mike Nolan, 2nd year

Seattle: Mike Holmgren

NFC North

Chicago: Lovie Smith

Detroit: Rod Marinelli, 1st year

Green Bay: Mike McCarthy, 1st year

Minnesota: Brad Childress, 1st year

NFC South

Atlanta: Jim Mora

Carolina: John Fox

New Orleans: Sean Payton, 1st year

Tampa Bay: Jon Gruden

NFC East

Dallas: Bill Parcells

New York Giants: Tom Coughlin

Philadelphia: Andy Reid

Washington: Joe Gibbs

AFC West

Denver: Mike Shanahan

Kansas City: Herm Edwards, 1st year

Oakland: Art Shell, 1st year

San Diego: Marty Schottenheimer

AFC North

Baltimore: Brian Billick

Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis

Cleveland: Romero Crennel, 2nd year

Pittsburgh: Bill Cowher

AFC South

Houston: Gary Kubiak, 1st year

Indianapolis: Tony Dungy

Jacksonville: Jack Del Rio

Tennessee: Jeff Fisher

AFC East

Buffalo: Dick Jauron, 1st year

Miami: Nick Saban, 2nd year

New England: Bill Bellichick

New York Jets: Eric Mangini, 1st year

Fisher from Tennessee could be another candidate.

Coaches that need to win or are out this year:

Billick

Fisher

Those are the only two that I see on the "hot seat" going into this season. I agree that Mike Nolan might get the boot if the 49ers are as bad this year as they were last year but if that occurs, I'm pretty sure the 49ers will go offensive for their next coach so Gregg Williams won't be a target.

Bill Parcells will "retire" after this season, I think the writing is on the wall.

I think Tennessee is the threat in 2007 for Gregg Williams' services. He coached there and I believe is well liked. The question would be, if they fire Jeff Fisher, do they want to go in a completely different direction or stay within the same "family tree" with Gregg Williams?

You guys are leaving out Marty in San Diego. He missed the playoffs last year. He doesn't get along with the front office. And now he's without Brees. Basically his fate is in the hands of an unknown.

I agree that it seems Billick and Parcells could be gone after this year, but I think Nolan is safe. The 9'ers had to know it would take multiple years to turn that team around.

I was trying to think today of teams that may have a HC vacancy after next year and possibly stealing GW away from us. (Please God, don't let that happen.)

Hence, my early 06 Coaches on the "Hot Seat" question.

Right now, and I'm tired, I can only think of that arrogant so and so that coaches Baltimore.

Any others?

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Justin

aka UltimateSkinsFan

(Proud son of a WWII ETO Vet-"The Greatest Generation")

I dont think so. I belive that his contract says he gets lots of money and can leave if he doesnt get teh HC job when Gibbs retires.

I don't see Gregg Williams wanting to leave. He just signed that fat new contract which virtually guarantees he'll take over as head coach within a couple of years, he's stated publicly that he and his family want to stay in the DC area (for reasons I cannot understand :rolleyes: ), and the Redskins are moving in a positive direction. Things look good for him here.

I would say Billick has the only legitimate chance of being fired as I see it. But that's months away from the season. I could see Fisher and Holmgren mutually separating from their respective organizations. But if Fisher drafts a QB of the future this year I can't see them making a switch at the end of the season.

One wild card is our friend Marty in SD. If Rivers doesn't work out and this team underachieves again, he might have the fingers pointed at him. He butchered Drew Brees' shoulder and any hope of trading him by playing him in a useless game. Except for the fact that if he won that game he would have hit a mil bonus. He doesn't have the best of relationships with the GM reportedly and another underacheiving season could give the GM reasonable cause to poop-can him

I don't know if Jeff Fisher is on the Hot Seat really. The Titans are rebuilding, if they wanted to let him go they would have a year or two ago.

Brian Billick is definitely on the Hot Seat. I see him getting fired at the end of the year, the Ravens are going to be terrible again.

I could see Marty Schottenheimer resigning as well, with Brees gone I don't expect the Chargers to be as good this year.

I don't see Parcells getting fired. Only way he leaves is if he retires, which is a possibility.

One wild card is our friend Marty in SD. If Rivers doesn't work out and this team underachieves again, he might have the fingers pointed at him. He butchered Drew Brees' shoulder and any hope of trading him by playing him in a useless game. Except for the fact that if he won that game he would have hit a mil bonus. He doesn't have the best of relationships with the GM reportedly and another underacheiving season could give the GM reasonable cause to poop-can him

If Rivers doesn't work out, the blame isn't on Marty. Marty actually wanted to keep Brees but their GM forced a trade. He also isn't really responsible for "butchering" Brees' shoulder. Really, that was just an unfortunate coincidence... the only reason he'd be fired is either after a sub 6-10 season where Rivers is not the only glaring problem or as a result of politics within the organization.

If Rivers doesn't work out, the blame isn't on Marty. Marty actually wanted to keep Brees but their GM forced a trade. He also isn't really responsible for "butchering" Brees' shoulder. Really, that was just an unfortunate coincidence... the only reason he'd be fired is either after a sub 6-10 season where Rivers is not the only glaring problem or as a result of politics within the organization.

Marty played Brees in the last game of the season. They were already eliminated from the playoffs, hence the game was meaningless. Rivers should have started and ended that game. There was no reason not to play him. They had an unknown quantity 2 years after drafting him. Many people around football wondered why Brees was playing, before the injury.

Marty may have liked Brees but he put him in harms way. The GM wanted to trade Brees after the season, but couldn't b/c he had an injured shoulder. The GM had no leverage for a trade. That's why Brees basically has a 1 year contract with the saints. I bet he's still steamed at marty. It came out a little while later that, in his contract, Marty would receive a 2 Mil bonus incentive if his team won that last game. Coincidence? I think not.

Marty screwed up in more ways than one. Yes he "butchered" Brees' shoulder AND any hope of getting anything in return for his leaving.

Possible coaching changes.

NY Giants- Coughlin is already wearing thin. If the Giants miss the playoffs, I could see him gone.

Dal Boys- Parcells won't be back next year, he'll retire for good after the season. Only way Parcells does come back; if the Boys were to lose the nfc championship game. That would convince him the Boys are almost there.

SF 49ers- Nolan will be fired if the Niners don't show improvement.

Arz Cardinals- Green is gone if the Cards don't make the playoffs. This is his 3rd year.

Sea Seahawks- Holgrem will probably retire after the season.

SD Chargers- No playoffs, no Marty. Tension with GM. Of course, the GM could be gone also.

Ten Titans- Fisher could be in his last days.

Blt Ravens- Billick no playoffs, no Bill.

I doubt there will be that many, but those are the teams that could have coaching changes.

Marty played Brees in the last game of the season. They were already eliminated from the playoffs, hence the game was meaningless. Rivers should have started and ended that game. There was no reason not to play him. They had an unknown quantity 2 years after drafting him. Many people around football wondered why Brees was playing, before the injury.

Marty may have liked Brees but he put him in harms way. The GM wanted to trade Brees after the season, but couldn't b/c he had an injured shoulder. The GM had no leverage for a trade. That's why Brees basically has a 1 year contract with the saints. I bet he's still steamed at marty. It came out a little while later that, in his contract, Marty would receive a 2 Mil bonus incentive if his team won that last game. Coincidence? I think not.

Marty screwed up in more ways than one. Yes he "butchered" Brees' shoulder AND any hope of getting anything in return for his leaving.

I gotta agree with this. Marty dropped the ball on that game decision, with the elimination from the playoffs, I would have sat LT, Gates, AND Brees. You've got a franchise QB who's been guiding your offense the past two years getting hurt in a worthless game, and LT was playing with cracked ribs! I don't see how blame can go anywhere but squarely on Marty for that screw up.

NY Giants- Coughlin is already wearing thin. If the Giants miss the playoffs, I could see him gone.

Dal Boys- Parcells won't be back next year, he'll retire for good after the season. Only way Parcells does come back; if the Boys were to lose the nfc championship game. That would convince him the Boys are almost there.

Arz Cardinals- Green is gone if the Cards don't make the playoffs. This is his 3rd year.

SD Chargers- No playoffs, no Marty. Tension with GM. Of course, the GM could be gone also.

I doubt there will be that many, but those are the teams that could have coaching changes.

I'd be surprised if Coughlin gets the axe. He really turned that team around last year, and although some of his coaching may have been a part of their embarrassing loss in the playoffs at home, I think they could have been helped if Eli hadn't fallen apart towards the end of the season. All they're really missing is Eli's season-long maturity and they could be perennial playoff contenders, and right now on paper I think they stand as good a chance to make the playoffs as we do, so I think it might take a lot for Coughlin to get fired. I agree with Parcells though, I think the hiring of T.O. points to an all out last ditch effort to make a big impact, I'd be surprised if he returns after his contract runs out in 07. I'd really be surprised though if Nolan was fired next season, maybe the season after, but it's entirely unrealistic for Niner's management to think that that burning ship can be fixed overnight, that's definitely a program in for the long haul, although I do think the heat will seriously be on Nolan if Smith goes all season without throwing a touchdown again. I didn't think about Green, but you may be right there. With Edgerrin added to the mix they better get going fast, I'm not sure what they've been up to this off season outside of EJ getting signed, but just based on offensive firepower alone they should put up some serious points if Warner is given enough protection (although I think dumping McCown was a stupid idea for them). I agree that if Green doesn't make them atleast competitive this season they could want a new program going in there. I think everyone can agree that Billick will probably lose his job next year, he's been a joke up there in Baltimore and can anyone really justify insisting on keeping Kyle Boller as starter?

Sea Seahawks- Holgrem will probably retire after the season.

I don't think Coughlin, Green or Nolan are close to the chopping block. Although Arizona has still been bad in their division, they've made major strides from where they were when Green showed up. The SF 49'ers are a mess right now, but I wouldn't think that they'd want to fire Nolan just yet and endure another season with a 1st time head coach. Couglin, IMO, is sitting pretty in New York- he couldn't be further from the chopping block.

I'm not too worried about Gregg Williams, he seem to be heir-apparent when Gibbs decides to hang it up. I'm worried about how long the Redskins are going to be able to keep Al Saunders. But hell, I'm surprised he's not one of the new head coaches this year.

Archived