Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the local media cheering against local teams?

SkinsHokieFan

This probably is more specific to WTEM, but it is apparent throughout the market.

However, when I listen to WTEM in particular it is incredible how much the hosts of several shows put down our teams and even put down our fans.

The other day Czabe called hockey fans "morons" And he is constantly bashing the Redskins as we all know, and of course in June when the Nats were rolling said "this ain't gonna last"

Yeah thanks for the positive attitude there. However there seems to be a negative attitude of the local media towards our sports teams in general, whether it be the Redskins or Caps or hell even DC United (the most successful team in the past decade)

I just don't get it

Originally posted by bubba9497

only in DC.... seriously, they go out of their way to be anti-homers

I am starting to think we as DC sports fans really get the shaft in terms of coverage by the local media.

You see what the Post has attempted to do to the Redskins. The Nats coverage is so-so in this town, the Wiz get some press, and the Caps barely a blip.

You go up to NY and listen to the FAN it blows WTEM away.

Its too bad we are stuck with the likes of WTEM and the Post these days

Every reporter will tell you that its FAR FAR easier for them to cover a winning team... a heckuvalot harder to cover losing teams.

And nearly every DC team has been a loser the past decade.

Its understandable why they might be bitter, but it certainly doesnt justify spinning EVERYTHING to the negative.

When it comes to pure reporting, I still think Bram is up there with the best. He rarely spins his reports and saves his conjecture for his own radio show and for interviews.

Originally posted by Blade

Every reporter will tell you that its FAR FAR easier for them to cover a winning team... a heckuvalot harder to cover losing teams.

And nearly every DC team has been a loser the past decade.

Its understandable why they might be bitter, but it certainly doesnt justify spinning EVERYTHING to the negative.

When it comes to pure reporting, I still think Bram is up there with the best. He rarely spins his reports and saves his conjecture for his own radio show and for interviews.

I would think that most reporters would prefer to cover a losing team (unless they happen to be fans).

I think if I up and moved to Chicago to cover the Bears, it'd be much easier to second-guess coaches, players, owners, etc. than it would be to commend them.

You don't have to make a story if a coach or player is on the hotseat...

Archived