Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Taylor on trial for DUI

bubba9497

Taylor on trial for DUI

http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050105-121124-2006r

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Five Washington Redskins players will be on hand to testify on behalf of safety Sean Taylor today when he stands trial for DUI in Fairfax County [VA.] General District Court.

Running back Clinton Portis, cornerback Fred Smoot, wide receiver Laveranues Coles, wide receiver Rod Gardner and cornerback Garnell Wilds are prepared to testify that Taylor was not drunk in the early morning of Oct. 28, when he was arrested on the Capital Beltway.

Taylor has pleaded not guilty to two charges, DUI and refusing a breathalyzer. Police say Taylor failed a field sobriety test and refused a breathalyzer.

Taylor's attorney, Warren McLain, believes Taylor actually passed the field test and was improperly advised of Virginia's implied consent law, which deals with the refusal charge.

"I feel even more confident now, after talking to the witnesses, that this was a mistake to have him arrested," McLain said in a phone interview. "I hope to prove that."

The incident apparently followed a birthday party for Gardner. Wilds, according to McLain, was in the car when Taylor was pulled over. One of Taylor's friends outside the Redskins will be in court to testify today, as well.

Coach Joe Gibbs deactivated Taylor for that week's game, a 28-14 loss to the Green Bay Packers. Taylor, despite making headlines all year for his controversial behavior, enjoyed an impressive rookie season and was named a first alternate for the Pro Bowl.

-- Jody Foldesy

Originally posted by f_dallas

I'm just glad that the character of those Redskins players is so great that they are willing to lie in a court of law, with their hand on a bible, to help their friend get out of a fine.

Seriously...that is sad.

Who said they will be lying? You because you were there?

I'm just glad that the character of those Redskins players is so great that they are willing to lie in a court of law, with their hand on a bible, to help their friend get out of a fine.

Seriously...that is sad.

Until you know what they testify too, don't call them liars.

Seriously...that is sad.

hey F_Dallas...F_U!! who the hell are you to say that they will be lying?? were you there?? i dont think so so STFU!

Stop right there.

I'm not going to burn Taylor for making a mistake lots of young people (and old people) make, but no one refuses a breathalizer when they are sober.

Noone ever has? lol

I have no clue if the guy was drunk, and am not trying to claim as much.

If he was, is the first person ever to do this? Ummm, no.

However, you are making some generalizations here.

I'm not going to burn Taylor for making a mistake lots of young people (and old people) make, but no one refuses a breathalizer when they are sober.

That's BS. I don't drink, and would not even consider taking one if I was asked to.

That's BS. I don't drink, and would not even consider taking one if I was asked to.

May I ask why?

Chewy, that can't be true. F_Dallas said so.

So, let me get this straight- Taylor left a birthday bash with fellow players one evening.

Next, Taylor was pulled over for no reason at all.

He then refused to take a breathalyzer test because ?

After that, he failed a field sobriety test.

You look at that scenario and tell me he was probably sober? I already said, this isn't about Taylor- he made a mistake (hopefully he learns from it) that a lot of people make. I do not understand why you would argue whether or not he was guilty of it, though.

A professional athlete refuses the breath test and doesn't have enough balance and coordination to stand on one leg and touch his nose with his eyes closed?

Gimme a break...this is silly.

May I ask why?

So, let me get this straight- Taylor left a birthday bash with fellow players one evening.

Next, Taylor was pulled over for no reason at all.

He then refused to take a breathalyzer test because ?

After that, he failed a field sobriety test.

You look at that scenario and tell me he was probably sober? I already said, this isn't about Taylor- he made a mistake (hopefully he learns from it) that a lot of people make. I do not understand why you would argue whether or not he was guilty of it, though.

A professional athlete refuses the breath test and doesn't have enough balance and coordination to stand on one leg and touch his nose with his eyes closed?

Gimme a break...this is silly.

Did you read my last post? Clearly in it I stated that I am not saying if he were guilty or not. You are.

All kinds of things can happen where a person would refuse a test like that.

Oh and by the way, from what I read in the post, Taylor was pulled over for speeding. Not for no reason at all.

Did you read my last post? Clearly in it I stated that I am not saying if he were guilty or not. You are.

So what's the point of arguing if you won't even take a stance?

I'm just saying that based on the facts, he is guilty. Can his lawyer find a way out of it? Maybe- but cripes...come on.

All kinds of things can happen where a person would refuse a test like that.

What are the reasons you would refuse one (AUTOMATIC FAIL after leaving a party AND fail the field sobriety test?

Oh and by the way, from what I read in the post, Taylor was pulled over for speeding. Not for no reason at all.

Okay...he was pulled over for speeding. Not sure that it helps or hurts.

His defense, if I'm not mistaken, is he believes he passed the sobriety test. The Police on the scene disagreed. It sounds like Taylor still might be drunk :laugh:

So what's the point of arguing if you won't even take a stance?

I'm just saying that based on the facts, he is guilty. Can his lawyer find a way out of it? Maybe- but cripes...come on.

What are the reasons you would refuse one (AUTOMATIC FAIL after leaving a party AND fail the field sobriety test?

Okay...he was pulled over for speeding. Not sure that it helps or hurts.

His defense, if I'm not mistaken, is he believes he passed the sobriety test. The Police on the scene disagreed. It sounds like Taylor still might be drunk :laugh:

and police are always right:rolleyes:

Go easy on f_dallas. He's just practicing being bitter for when his Eagles get eliminated, yet again. But, atleast they own the coveted NFC East trophy again.

Hey f_dallas. My wife bought me one of those Redskin's superbowl varsity jackets for Christmas. Did you get an Eagles superbowl jacket? Oh man, my bad.:D

Originally posted by gibby56

Well, I glad to see that his teamates are behind him. I think the DUI laws in VA are Sh*t. I to have a DUI. He won't be in any trouble at all, couple meeting and a fine. Worst case someone have to give hime rides. In no way will he get a felony conviction.

:laugh: "Worst case someone will have to give him rides":laugh:

i can pick him up on my way to grab you when we are headed out for the night. :cheers:

Archived