Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Catholic Church and feeding tubes

gbear

I'm just curious what peole on here think about feeding tubes for those in a permanent vegatative state. Evidently the pope has said that removing those tubes is euthanasia and is morally wrong.

Now as I understand it, in this country we don't have the right to die (euthanasia), but we do have the right to refuse treatment. IN this case we would be refusing to eat. Our families can make this choice for us. Is there a point where a family has the right to say enough is enough? What if the patient is like me and has expressed a desire to be allowed to die when the brain no longer works (currently mkaing it legal)?

Should Catholic hospitals give unwanted treatment?

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1862142

It's an interesting question to me because they may feel obligated to as a Catholic entity, but are they required to follow the law of the land where they must respect a patients wishes?

To my mind, there is a point where us being able to do soemthing medically to "save" people does not mean we should. Cloning? Are we obligated to do "everything in our power" to keep people alive for as long as possible (breathing machines?)? To my mind breahting does not equal a human life.

Again this probably comes back to my definition of a human life. I guess this is just another position where I think the church is wrong. But even saying that, I have no idea what the Catholic Hospitals should do.

I'm still in shock that idiots are against allowing people the right to die in certain situations. Screw them and screw goverment involvment in what should be strictly a family issue (unless something illegal is going on).

If you have bone cancer and you have a few days left and are faced with the choice of - horrible death with pain basically no amount of painkiller will cure or a quick injection and the ability to die with less pain and your dignity in tact I say bring on the injection. These moralizing ****s cause situations where the only allowed way to die is to STARVE your family member to death. That is disgusting.

I fully support a families right to decide for their own.

Archived